Code Behind Class File Question Do Most People Use This Design?

jm

I am still migrating from old ASP to ASP.NET with VB.NET. I created
an app as a single file type application and later found out about
Visual Studio and code behind class files. Is that the predominant
design method? Or just with Visual Studio (guess they are the only
ones who can do it)? Does the compiling the .net page do any good?
Does it make it more scalable or something? Insights on this issue
please. Thank you.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...y/en-us/vbcon/html/vbconWebFormsCodeModel.asp

Richard K Bethell

jm said:
I am still migrating from old ASP to ASP.NET with VB.NET. I created
an app as a single file type application and later found out about
Visual Studio and code behind class files. Is that the predominant
design method? Or just with Visual Studio (guess they are the only
ones who can do it)? Does the compiling the .net page do any good?
Does it make it more scalable or something? Insights on this issue
please. Thank you.

Going compiled-codebehind will give you a performance boost over inline
script. In my applications, I've used both methods - single file pages with
a discrete <script /> block (like what WebMatrix does) can be easier to
maintain for lower priority applications. These applications can be repaired
with Notepad if need be.

But going the code behind route does give you more speed, especially if your
classes are compiled.

R.

j m

Stupid question here, so I can use the code behind forms, what I read
elsewhere as webforms, with databases, etc.? It just compiled because I
was able to use Visual Studio to do it? A "benefit" of paying for
Visual Studio .NET?

For example, now, I have an ASP.NET app that has a few datagrids on it,
controls, the events, etc. and some client-side javascript. In the web
form model, all that vb.net gets compiled into a .dll and the page
simply has the datagrids, etc. on it with the JavaScript? And somehow,
in the page, I call that .dll like calling a class COM object (like the
old ASP way)?