Code behind page DLL missing?

CKKwan

Dear All,

I have migrated a VS2003 ASPNET project to VS2008.

Strange issue, there used to have a DLL in the bin directory which
containts all the code behind page. But now it gone missing. The Web
site is still working perfectly.

I believe that this DLL might have moved or stored is some unknow
location.

May I know how can I find out where it is stored?

Or maybe where can I find the output directory after compile?

Thanks in advance.

Mark Fitzpatrick

Did you create the VS 2008 project using File | New | Web Site? If so then
you don't get a compiled application into a single dll. The Web Site Project
was created for VS 2005 as a dynamic compilation site type. A lot of
developers didn't like it and MS later released the Web Application Project,
which behaves like the old projects in VS 2003. To create a Web Application
Project go to File | New | Project and look under the web node for ASP.Net
Web Application.

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - Expression

sturyuu5eye

Mark, thaks for the quick response.

If there is no single DLL, is that means I have to deploy my website
together with all the *.cs file?

If it is already a Web Site, how can I convert it to Web Application
Project?

Thanks in advance.

Mark Fitzpatrick

You can "precompile" the site, but it generates tons of dlls, one for each
page typically. It's a mess too.

What I usually do is create a new Web Application Project, copy the files
over into it, then right-click and use the Convert to Web Application on
each .aspx page. This makes a couple tweaks including creating a
..designer.cs file that defines all the controls in the page. In a Web Site
project, this file isn't needed as the page is parsed and discovered when
it's first run and compiled.

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - Expression

Marc

Mark Fitzpatrick said:
You can "precompile" the site, but it generates tons of dlls, one for each
page typically. It's a mess too.

What I usually do is create a new Web Application Project, copy the files
over into it, then right-click and use the Convert to Web Application on
each .aspx page. This makes a couple tweaks including creating a
.designer.cs file that defines all the controls in the page. In a Web Site
project, this file isn't needed as the page is parsed and discovered when
it's first run and compiled.

I don't understand why this option is still in VS2008. I always choose Web
Application. Seems odd.