[Code Challenge] WxPython versus Tkinter.

Discussion in 'Python' started by rantingrick, Jan 23, 2011.

  1. rantingrick

    rantingrick Guest

    WxPython versus Tkinter (A code battle to the death!)

    by Rick Johnson.

    I have in many threads declared that Tkinter (and TclTk) is currently
    --and has been for a decade-- the wrong choice for Python's stdlib
    GUI. Throughout the 90's Tkinter was fine. However we have been in the
    21st century for more than a decade and Tkinter is no longer relevant.
    Many people have argued (weakly) that Tkinter is still valid. However
    their arguments have been mostly baseless opinions that sadly lack
    vision for the future.

    In this thread i intend to slay my enemies with cold hard facts based
    on code. It is time to put your code where your mouth is (or you
    foot). This will be an open challenge to *anyone* in this community,
    in the world, and *even* the great Guido van Rossum himself! It is now
    time for you (python community) to prove the worth of Tkinter or
    accept its demise at my hands!

    Some of you may think this sounds like an impossible challenge. How
    can one man defend his position against the entire world! Yes, it
    would seem impossible for one man to face an entire community in open
    challenge! And in most cases only a fool would challenge the world.
    However, i have not one ounce of fear within me while facing these
    odds because my position is the correct position. My position is based
    on facts and NOT friendship, truth and NOT tantrums, and finally
    vision NOT vengance! I am on the correct side of history!

    It is time to prove once and for all how dated and worthless Tkinter
    is compared to wxPython. Yes, WxPython is not as advanced as i would
    like it to be for a 21st century GUI library. However compared to
    Tkinter, Wx is light years ahead! Wx is our best hope to move Python
    into the 21st century.

    So now is the time for all you naysayers, trolls, and minions to face
    me in mortal combat within the arena of truth and righteousness. Ready
    your minds and wield your text editors for we shall battle for the
    glory of Python! And when i have slayed the fools with their own
    foolishness then ye all shall be enlightened!

    So PUT UP OR SHUT THE HELL UP!

    ---------------------------------------
    Challenge 1: (Simple Directory Viewer)
    ---------------------------------------

    Create a simple Directory Viewer GUI. You CANNOT use a treectrl! The
    point of this challenge is to show that Tkinter has no support for a
    true ListCtrl widget. However the Wx::ListCtrl is fully featured! For
    wxPython the code is simply wielding a few built in classes. For
    Tkinter no such ListCtrl functionality exists. You CAN create the
    functionality yourself (and i know this because i HAVE created it!)
    however it involves tons of work and still can't hold a candle to the
    wx::ListCtrl

    ---------------
    Requirements:
    ---------------

    How the user navigates to a folder is not important but you must
    display the list of files/folders in two view modes with icons;

    1. Display files in both ReportView and ListView.

    * Reportview:
    ...scrollable vertical list with three columns.

    * Listview:
    ...scrollable horizontal-ly wrapping list.

    Note: If you do not understand the view modes just run my code for an
    example. But the user must be able to switch between these two modes
    easily. How the switching is done is unimportant -- I simply used two
    buttons.

    2. Columns
    * Minimum of three cols; Name, Size, and Type (reportview).
    * the "Name" column must include an icon AND label (both views).
    * columns must be sortable by the user (reportview).
    * columns must be sizable by the user (reportview).

    3. Items
    * All must be editable in place (no popup editing allowed!).
    * All items must be selectable/deselectable by user.
    * All items must be delete-able by the user.

    That is the challenge. Step forth and battle if you can!

    -----------------
    WxPython code:
    -----------------

    https://sites.google.com/site/thefutureofpython/home/code-challenges

    I await any challengers...
    rantingrick, Jan 23, 2011

  2. rantingrick

    Terry Reedy Guest

    On 1/22/2011 7:07 PM, rantingrick wrote:

    Near the beginning of this thread, I gently challenged you to produce a
    concrete, practical proposal for an stdlib addition that could be
    critiqued and improved. When you asked for problems with
    wxwidgets/wxpython, I gave some. Still waiting.

    --
    Terry Jan Reedy
    Terry Reedy, Jan 23, 2011

  3. From: "rantingrick" <>

> [...]
    >
    > * Listview:
    > ...scrollable horizontal-ly wrapping list.
    >
    > Note: If you do not understand the view modes just run my code for an
    > example. But the user must be able to switch between these two modes
    > easily. How the switching is done is unimportant -- I simply used two
    > buttons.
    >
    > 2. Columns
    > * Minimum of three cols; Name, Size, and Type (reportview).
    > * the "Name" column must include an icon AND label (both views).
    > * columns must be sortable by the user (reportview).
    > * columns must be sizable by the user (reportview).
    >
    > 3. Items
    > * All must be editable in place (no popup editing allowed!).
    > * All items must be selectable/deselectable by user.
    > * All items must be delete-able by the user.
    >
    > That is the challenge. Step forth and battle if you can!

    I have downloaded that simple program, launched it, and I've tested it with JAWS screen reader.
    It was fully accessible out of the box.

    Have you done something special for making it accessible for screen readers? (I guess not).

    Can be the same thing done with Tkinter?

    Octavian
    Octavian Rasnita, Jan 23, 2011
  4. rantingrick, 23.01.2011 01:07:
    > I have in many threads declared that Tkinter (and TclTk) is currently
    > --and has been for a decade-- the wrong choice for Python's stdlib
    > GUI. [...]
    > It is time to prove once and for all how dated and worthless Tkinter
    > is compared to wxPython.

    What's the aim of that prove? If you are trying to pave the ground for
    getting wxPython in the stdlib instead of tkinter, I think that's bound to
    fail. Similar proposals have been rejected with the simple argument that
    adding a large library with a huge C dependency to the standard library
    without having a rock solid maintainer for both of them is not going to happen.

    Are you volunteering to maintain both wxPython and wxWidgets in the
    standard library for, say, twenty years to come?

    Stefan
    Stefan Behnel, Jan 23, 2011
  5. rantingrick

    rusi Guest

    Re: WxPython versus Tkinter.

    On Jan 23, 5:07 am, rantingrick <> wrote:
> [...]
    >
    >   * Listview:
    >     ...scrollable horizontal-ly wrapping list.
    >
    > Note: If you do not understand the view modes just run my code for an
    > example. But the user must be able to switch between these two modes
    > easily. How the switching is done is unimportant -- I simply used two
    > buttons.
    >
    >  2. Columns
    >   * Minimum of three cols; Name, Size, and Type (reportview).
    >   * the "Name" column must include an icon AND label (both views).
    >   * columns must be sortable by the user (reportview).
    >   * columns must be sizable by the user (reportview).
    >
    >  3. Items
    >   * All must be editable in place (no popup editing allowed!).
    >   * All items must be selectable/deselectable by user.
    >   * All items must be delete-able by the user.
    >
    > That is the challenge. Step forth and battle if you can!

    Tried the code with debian sid and default python (2.6)

    I get (after some loading... statements)

    Segmentation fault

    [Actually this is the first time in my 10 years of python that Ive
    seen a pure python module segfault :) ]
    rusi, Jan 23, 2011
  6. Re: WxPython versus Tkinter.

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 02:18:34 -0800, rusi wrote:

    >>  WxPython code:

    [...]
    > Tried the code with debian sid and default python (2.6)
    >
    > I get (after some loading... statements)
    >
    > Segmentation fault
    >
    > [Actually this is the first time in my 10 years of python that Ive seen
    > a pure python module segfault :) ]

    wxPython is a front end to the wxWidgets (formerly wxWindows) toolkit,
    which is C++. I imagine that's what seg faulted.

    --
    Steven
    Steven D'Aprano, Jan 23, 2011
  7. rantingrick

    Adam Skutt Guest

    Re: WxPython versus Tkinter.

    On Jan 22, 7:07 pm, rantingrick <> wrote:
    > So PUT UP OR SHUT THE HELL UP!

    You first. Write actual working code first and then you can challenge
    people. I found 5 bugs in your code before I quit looking[1]. Can you
    find and fix them all? Also, I'm entirely ignoring the bad styling,
    bad default sizing, horrible UI, the fact you call rename "Edit", and
    the fact the context menu doesn't do anything. All of the are
    legitimate technical errors, i.e., you coded the program wrong.

    In the spirit of community I open the bug finding to everyone, but
    humbly ask you don't tell Mr. "rantingrick" Johnson about them. It
    can be our little secret ;)

    Adam

    [1] I think there might even be more, but I got lazy.
    Adam Skutt, Jan 23, 2011
  8. rantingrick

    rantingrick Guest

    Re: WxPython versus Tkinter.

    On Jan 22, 9:39 pm, Terry Reedy <> wrote:
    > On 1/22/2011 7:07 PM, rantingrick wrote:
    >
    > Near the beginning of this thread, I gently challenged you to produce a
    > concrete, practical proposal for an stdlib addition that could be
    > critiqued and improved. When you asked for problems with
    > wxwidgets/wxpython, I gave some. Still waiting.

    You may have done this however i do not remember. With all the
    trolling that was going on (not you) i may have missed it.
    rantingrick, Jan 23, 2011
  9. rantingrick

    rantingrick Guest

    Re: WxPython versus Tkinter.

    On Jan 23, 1:53 am, "Octavian Rasnita" <> wrote:

    > I have downloaded that simple program, launched it, and I've tested it with JAWS screen reader.
    > It was fully accessible out of the box.

    Excellent!

    > Have you done something special for making it accessible for screen readers? (I guess not).

    I did nothing to make the code more accessible, that is just another
    great attribute of 21st cenury GUI libraries.

    > Can be the same thing done with Tkinter?

    Not that i am aware of.
    rantingrick, Jan 23, 2011
  10. rantingrick schrieb:

    [snip]

    1. You cannot define the terms--restrict your opponent--
    and battle it yourselves.
    2. Your specified directory browser is useless.
    --At least define that the directory browser must have
    constant complexity to work with volatile
    data over a network...

    -roger
    Arndt Roger Schneider, Jan 23, 2011
  11. rantingrick

    rantingrick Guest

    Re: WxPython versus Tkinter.

    On Jan 23, 4:18 am, rusi <> wrote:
> [...]

    > >   * the "Name" column must include an icon AND label (both views).
    > >   * columns must be sortable by the user (reportview).
    > >   * columns must be sizable by the user (reportview).

    > >  3. Items
    > >   * All must be editable in place (no popup editing allowed!).
    > >   * All items must be selectable/deselectable by user.
    > >   * All items must be delete-able by the user.

    > > That is the challenge. Step forth and battle if you can!

    > > -----------------
    > >  WxPython code:
    > > -----------------

    > >https://sites.google.com/site/thefutureofpython/home/code-challenges

    > > I await any challengers...

    > Tried the code with debian sid and default python (2.6)
    >
    > I get (after some loading... statements)
    >
    > Segmentation fault
    >
    > [Actually this is the first time in my 10 years of python that Ive

    Congratulations genius! However if you are really smart you would have
    read the note in the source that says "tested on windows only!".
    Segfault. Thanks for the laugh!
    rantingrick, Jan 23, 2011
  12. rantingrick

    rantingrick Guest

    Re: WxPython versus Tkinter.

    On Jan 23, 7:35 am, Adam Skutt <> wrote:
    > On Jan 22, 7:07 pm, rantingrick <> wrote:

    > You first.  Write actual working code first and then you can challenge
    > people.

    The code does work. You just lack the skill to run it.

    > I found 5 bugs in your code before I quit looking[1].

    What are these "so-called" bugs exactly? Remember this code is not
    meant to WOW anyone. It is a challenge to anybody who can reproduce
    the same functionality in Tkinter. The main point is to create a
    ListCtrl that has two view modes, icons, and editable items. You lack
    simple reading and comprehension skills Adam.

    > Can you
    > find and fix them all?  Also, I'm entirely ignoring the bad styling,

    This is not a challenge about code styling.

    > bad default sizing,

    This is not a challenge about pretty GUIs.

    > horrible UI, the fact you call rename "Edit",

    pedantic troll!

    > and
    > the fact the context menu doesn't do anything.

    THIS IS A SIMPLE EXAMPLE FILE VIEWER. We don't to actually rename and
    delete files you moron. Get a life.

    Adam you were one of the biggest trolls in the "other" thread. We
    don't need you trolling up this one too. Can you write any code? I
    have produced code and no one has offered a rebuttal using the Tkinter
    module. This is because only a handful of the entire community has the
    skills to create something like this with Tkinter. I am one of them,
    Kevin is another, Guido is another, and there are a very few more.
    HOWEVER YOU ARE NOT IN THIS GROUP ADAM. You are a troll, and that is
    all you can do. Prove me wrong if you can...
    rantingrick, Jan 23, 2011
  13. rantingrick

    rantingrick Guest

    Re: WxPython versus Tkinter.

    On Jan 23, 4:10 am, Stefan Behnel <> wrote:
    > rantingrick, 23.01.2011 01:07:
    >
    > > I have in many threads declared that Tkinter (and TclTk) is currently
    > > --and has been for a decade-- the wrong choice for Python's stdlib
    > > GUI.  [...]
    > > It is time to prove once and for all how dated and worthless Tkinter
    > > is compared to wxPython.

    > What's the aim of that prove? If you are trying to pave the ground for
    > getting wxPython in the stdlib instead of tkinter, I think that's bound to
    > fail. Similar proposals have been rejected with the simple argument that
    > adding a large library with a huge C dependency to the standard library
    > without having a rock solid maintainer for both of them is not going to happen.

    Wait a minute, i am confused? What language is Python written in? Oh
    thats right Lisp! I am so dumb. How did i even get this job? :)

    > Are you volunteering to maintain both wxPython and wxWidgets in the
    > standard library for, say, twenty years to come?

    WxPython needs lots of proper documentation aimed at beginners (so
    does Tkinter!). WxPython also needs a better API (however only VERY
    sightly!!). These are some areas where i can be very helpful.
    rantingrick, Jan 23, 2011
  14. rantingrick

    rantingrick Guest

    Re: WxPython versus Tkinter.

    On Jan 23, 11:06 am, Arndt Roger Schneider <>
    wrote:
    > rantingrick schrieb:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > 1. You cannot define the terms--restrict your opponent--
    >     and battle it yourselves.
    > 2. Your specified directory browser is useless.
    >     --At least define that the directory browser must have
    >       constant complexity to work with volatile
    >       data over a network...
    >
    > -roger

    Get a life moron and post some code, if you can!
    rantingrick, Jan 23, 2011
  15. rantingrick

    rantingrick Guest

    Re: WxPython versus Tkinter.

    On Jan 22, 6:07 pm, rantingrick <> wrote:

    > I await any challengers...

    So far only trolls (besides Terry, Octavian, D'Aprano) have replied.
    In my time here within the Python community i have only met one person
    who shares my in-depth knowledge of Tkinter. That person is Kevin
    Waltzer. So outside of Python-dev and Guido. Kevin and I are are the
    ONLY people qualified to offer opinions on the worth or worthlessness
    of Tkinter. If anyone in this entire community thinks that they also
    are qualified then prove your worth by creating a ListCtrl in Tkinter
    that mirrors the wxPython ListCtrl in functionality. When you have
    done that, i will elevate you to my circle of enlightenment. Than and
    only then shall i even entertain you BS.

    Until then, anyone who tries to devalue my argument is just an
    ignorant troll.
    rantingrick, Jan 23, 2011
  16. Re: WxPython versus Tkinter.

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 09:31:25 -0800, rantingrick wrote:

    > So far only trolls (besides Terry, Octavian, D'Aprano) have replied.

    So apart from the non-trolls, only trolls have replied?

    --
    Steven
    Steven D'Aprano, Jan 23, 2011
  17. Re: WxPython versus Tkinter.

    On 01/23/2011 05:18 AM, rusi wrote:

    > Tried the code with debian sid and default python (2.6)
    >
    > I get (after some loading... statements)
    >
    > Segmentation fault
    >
    > [Actually this is the first time in my 10 years of python that Ive
    > seen a pure python module segfault :) ]

    I also have a segfault. You should fix that, rantingrick :)
    Corey Richardson, Jan 23, 2011
  18. Re: WxPython versus Tkinter.

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 09:21:57 -0800, rantingrick wrote:

    > Wait a minute, i am confused? What language is Python written in? Oh
    > thats right Lisp! I am so dumb. How did i even get this job? :)

    Python is written in C, Java, C#, Javascript, Haskell, Ocaml, and, yes,
    even Lisp. There's even a Python interpreter written in Python.
    Admittedly, the Ocaml implementation seems to be abandoned, and some of
    the others are more experimental, but they're all Python.

    --
    Steven
    Steven D'Aprano, Jan 23, 2011
  19. rantingrick

    Adam Skutt Guest

    Re: WxPython versus Tkinter.

    On Jan 23, 12:21 pm, rantingrick <> wrote:
    > The code does work. You just lack the skill to run it.

    I not only possess the skill to run it, but to find fault it in
    through simple inspection. All of the bugs I found, but one, I found
    through reading the .py file. Heck, I'm so good that I guessed two of
    the bugs before I downloaded the code because both are rank amateur
    mistakes, and I'm not convinced you even rise to the level of amateur.

    > What are these "so-called" bugs exactly?

    1. There's a bug related to loading of your resources.
    2. There's a bug related to when file I/O is performed.
    3/4. There's at least two bugs related to handling of a specific mouse
    event.
    5. There's a bug related to reporting errors to the user.

    All of these bugs, except one[1], show a grave misunderstanding about
    how GUI toolkits operate and/or how the underlying operating systems
    behave.

    >Remember this code is not meant to WOW anyone.

    That's apparent from simple inspection of the code! Not only does it
    not wow, it doesn't even illustrate your own example to a degree that
    could be reasonably considered competent. It demonstrates you didn't
    even test the functionality you provided in your own code, or that if
    you did, you're entirely clueless about GUI design fundamentals.

    > The main point is to create a
    > ListCtrl that has two view modes, icons, and editable items. You lack
    > simple reading and comprehension skills Adam.

    And your code will not do that in a whole host of common situations
    that a GUI application is reasonably expected to handle. It is not
    sufficiently robust to be interesting.

    > Adam you were one of the biggest trolls in the "other" thread. We
    > don't need you trolling up this one too. Can you write any code? I
    > have produced code and no one has offered a rebuttal using the Tkinter
    > module. This is because only a handful of the entire community has the
    > skills to create something like this with Tkinter.

    No, it's because your code is complete and utter shite and there's
    zero point in attempting to replicate it. Your code does not work,
    even if you think it does. I'm not the only person who's noted this.

    > HOWEVER YOU ARE NOT IN THIS GROUP ADAM. You are a troll, and that is
    > all you can do. Prove me wrong if you can...

    I already have. Confirmation of some of the bugs I've noted exists in
    this very thread. Thus, I'm quite capable of reading and
    comprehending Python code. The same remains to be seen with you.

    Adam

    [1] Which is only because wxWidgets has a bug in this regard. That
    being said, a workaround exists and trivial to find online.
    Adam Skutt, Jan 23, 2011
  20. rantingrick

    rantingrick Guest

    Re: WxPython versus Tkinter.

    On Jan 23, 12:09 pm, Adam Skutt <> wrote:
    > On Jan 23, 12:21 pm, rantingrick <> wrote:

    > > What are these "so-called" bugs exactly?

    > 1. There's a bug related to loading of your resources.
    > 2. There's a bug related to when file I/O is performed.
    > 3/4. There's at least two bugs related to handling of a specific mouse
    > event.
    > 5. There's a bug related to reporting errors to the user.

    Well then post a traceback.

    However you still miss the point. You will do anything to distract
    from the point. And what IS that point? Well that Tkinter is
    lackluster 20 years old rotware and you need to resort to these BS
    tactics to discredit me because 1). You cannot even create a Tkinter
    GUI at the basic level, and 2) you have no real argument based on
    facts!

    Post CODE Adam. Code! Surely you can handle copy/pasting a traceback i
    hope!
    rantingrick, Jan 23, 2011