code coverage generated by users

Discussion in 'Java' started by GT, Feb 6, 2007.

  1. GT

    GT Guest

    Hello,

    Do you know any tools / libraries (best open source) which support below
    desc. idea?

    I want to examine which parts of application / code are [not] used while
    performing user requests.
    In similar way to examining "code coverage by unit tests" but instead of
    unit tests we have real users, best from production environment.

    Such tool will be working with real application through ie 1 month and then
    will be generated report. Report which, in basic, shows which code was never
    used "by users".
    I hope this will help me to refactor whole project (remove unused
    fragments).

    Application bases on J2EE techn. and run on Web Logic Server and have many
    funcionalities which currently are not used, not documented and effectively
    make hard maintenance :)

    Thank you for help

    Greetings
    Gregory
    GT, Feb 6, 2007

  2. GT

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    On Feb 6, 12:43 pm, "GT" <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Do you know any tools / libraries (best open source) which support below
    > desc. idea?
    >
    > I want to examine which parts of application / code are [not] used while
    > performing user requests.
    > In similar way to examining "code coverage by unit tests" but instead of
    > unit tests we have real users, best from production environment.
    >
    > Such tool will be working with real application through ie 1 month and then
    > will be generated report. Report which, in basic, shows which code was never
    > used "by users".
    > I hope this will help me to refactor whole project (remove unused
    > fragments).
    >
    > Application bases on J2EE techn. and run on Web Logic Server and have many
    > funcionalities which currently are not used, not documented and effectively
    > make hard maintenance :)
    >
    > Thank you for help
    >
    > Greetings
    > Gregory

    I would suggest method enter/exit logging, as a sort of coarse grain
    approach.
    Leaving any profiler running for a long enough period of time to
    measure use cases is likely to fill up all your disk space :)

    It might also be worth simply logging the user interactions taken, and
    turn those into unit-like tests, and run a profiler on that.

    I've used jprofile with success, but it is not without its own
    eccentrisities.
    Daniel Pitts, Feb 6, 2007

  3. GT

    GT Guest

    Uzytkownik "Daniel Pitts" <> napisal w wiadomosci
    > I would suggest method enter/exit logging, as a sort of coarse grain
    > approach.
    > Leaving any profiler running for a long enough period of time to
    > measure use cases is likely to fill up all your disk space :)
    >
    > It might also be worth simply logging the user interactions taken, and
    > turn those into unit-like tests, and run a profiler on that.
    >
    > I've used jprofile with success, but it is not without its own
    > eccentrisities.

    Tnx 4 suggestion but, well, there is some missunderstending.

    I don't want to profile any code but examine which code was executed.
    I'm searching tool that by using i.e. instrumantalisation [or others
    techniques which doesn't require changing application code] can register
    only fact that such code was executed, nothing more :)
    GT, Feb 6, 2007
  4. GT

    Guest

    On 6 fév, 22:35, "GT" <> wrote:
    > Uzytkownik "Daniel Pitts" <> napisal w wiadomoscinews:...
    >
    > > I would suggest method enter/exit logging, as a sort of coarse grain
    > > approach.
    > > Leaving any profiler running for a long enough period of time to
    > > measure use cases is likely to fill up all your disk space :)

    > > It might also be worth simply logging the user interactions taken, and
    > > turn those into unit-like tests, and run a profiler on that.

    > > I've used jprofile with success, but it is not without its own
    > > eccentrisities.

    > Tnx 4 suggestion but, well, there is some missunderstending.
    >
    > I don't want to profile any code but examine which code was executed.
    > I'm searching tool that by using i.e. instrumantalisation [or others
    > techniques which doesn't require changing application code] can register
    > only fact that such code was executed, nothing more :)

    You can also use emma, which is a java test coverage tool, but works
    on every java application. It generate a report where you can see the
    percentage of code used, by package, class, method, ...

    Open source, so you can use it where you want (and a nice Eclipse
    pugling also)
    , Feb 6, 2007
  5. GT

    GT Guest

    Uzytkownik <> napisal w wiadomosci
    >You can also use emma, which is a java test coverage tool, but works
    >on every java application. It generate a report where you can see the
    >percentage of code used, by package, class, method, ...

    >Open source, so you can use it where you want (and a nice Eclipse
    >pugling also)

    tnx

    according to http://emma.sourceforge.net/faq.html#q.runtime.appservers we
    can use EMMA in J2EE env to test coverage generated by user
    [earlier I briefly searched such funcionality in EMMA but i didn't notice
    it, well ...]
    I will try it

    BTW. has somebody used EMMA in such context and has some experiences?

    greetings
    GT
    GT, Feb 6, 2007