code coverage generated by users

GT

Hello,

Do you know any tools / libraries (best open source) which support below
desc. idea?

I want to examine which parts of application / code are [not] used while
performing user requests.
In similar way to examining "code coverage by unit tests" but instead of
unit tests we have real users, best from production environment.

Such tool will be working with real application through ie 1 month and then
will be generated report. Report which, in basic, shows which code was never
used "by users".
I hope this will help me to refactor whole project (remove unused
fragments).

Application bases on J2EE techn. and run on Web Logic Server and have many
funcionalities which currently are not used, not documented and effectively
make hard maintenance :)

Thank you for help

Greetings
Gregory

Daniel Pitts

[...]

I would suggest method enter/exit logging, as a sort of coarse grain
approach.
Leaving any profiler running for a long enough period of time to
measure use cases is likely to fill up all your disk space :)

It might also be worth simply logging the user interactions taken, and
turn those into unit-like tests, and run a profiler on that.

I've used jprofile with success, but it is not without its own
eccentrisities.

GT

Uzytkownik "Daniel Pitts said:
I would suggest method enter/exit logging, as a sort of coarse grain
approach.
Leaving any profiler running for a long enough period of time to
measure use cases is likely to fill up all your disk space :)

It might also be worth simply logging the user interactions taken, and
turn those into unit-like tests, and run a profiler on that.

I've used jprofile with success, but it is not without its own
eccentrisities.

Tnx 4 suggestion but, well, there is some missunderstending.

I don't want to profile any code but examine which code was executed.
I'm searching tool that by using i.e. instrumantalisation [or others
techniques which doesn't require changing application code] can register
only fact that such code was executed, nothing more :)

pascal.lecointe

Uzytkownik "Daniel Pitts said:
I would suggest method enter/exit logging, as a sort of coarse grain
approach.
Leaving any profiler running for a long enough period of time to
measure use cases is likely to fill up all your disk space :)
It might also be worth simply logging the user interactions taken, and
turn those into unit-like tests, and run a profiler on that.
I've used jprofile with success, but it is not without its own
eccentrisities.

Tnx 4 suggestion but, well, there is some missunderstending.

I don't want to profile any code but examine which code was executed.
I'm searching tool that by using i.e. instrumantalisation [or others
techniques which doesn't require changing application code] can register
only fact that such code was executed, nothing more :)

You can also use emma, which is a java test coverage tool, but works
on every java application. It generate a report where you can see the
percentage of code used, by package, class, method, ...

Open source, so you can use it where you want (and a nice Eclipse
pugling also)

GT

Uzytkownik said:
You can also use emma, which is a java test coverage tool, but works
on every java application. It generate a report where you can see the
percentage of code used, by package, class, method, ...
Open source, so you can use it where you want (and a nice Eclipse
pugling also)

tnx

according to http://emma.sourceforge.net/faq.html#q.runtime.appservers we
can use EMMA in J2EE env to test coverage generated by user
[earlier I briefly searched such funcionality in EMMA but i didn't notice
it, well ...]
I will try it

BTW. has somebody used EMMA in such context and has some experiences?

greetings
GT