    some CSS decoration, of course). I'm looking for comments on the markup I
    used to generate this structure. Is it correct? How could it be better? The
    page validates HTML 4.01 Strict at the W3 site.
    Ryan Stewart, May 4, 2004

  2. Toby A Inkster, May 4, 2004

  3. Ryan Stewart

    Ryan Stewart Guest

    "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > Ryan Stewart wrote:
    >
    > > http://68.184.224.2:8080/reference/form8001.jsp

    > Could probably do with some use of <label>.

    Interesting. I didn't even know that tag existed. I've read over its
    description at W3 now. Is it widely used? Is it worth the extra bandwidth?
    What are the benefits of using it? That page is only a sample of the actual
    form which will be dynamically generated and could easily have hundreds of
    input elements. Adding label tags to each of those could add several
    kilobytes to the file size.
    Ryan Stewart, May 4, 2004
  4. Ryan Stewart wrote:

    > Interesting. I didn't even know that tag existed. I've read over its
    > description at W3 now. Is it widely used?

    On webpages? No.
    By browsers? Yes.

    > Is it worth the extra bandwidth?

    Yes.

    > What are the benefits of using it?

    Bigger click targets (especially for radio buttons and check boxes)
    Assistive software gets explit information about what text describes a
    field, rather then having to guess.

    > That page is only a sample of the
    > actual form which will be dynamically generated and could easily have
    > hundreds of input elements. Adding label tags to each of those could add
    > several kilobytes to the file size.

    mod_gzip is quite fun :), but if the page is that big already, I would
    seriously consider using a multipage form.

    David Dorward, May 4, 2004
  5. Ryan Stewart wrote:

    > Interesting. I didn't even know that tag existed. I've read over its
    > description at W3 now. Is it widely used? Is it worth the extra bandwidth?
    > What are the benefits of using it?

    It is pretty good. The practical benefit for most people is that clicking
    in the label text is treated like clicking on the label control. (This is
    particularly useful for checkboxes and radio buttons.)

    Example:
    http://www.nctpregnancyandbabycare.com/nct-online/questionnaire/

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS