    to fix it?

    Thanks,
    Charles
    charles cashion, Dec 27, 2007

  2. charles cashion

    rf Guest

    "charles cashion" <> wrote in message
    news:4BVcj.11856$1q4.10189@trnddc06...

    >I have worked on it until I am down to one warning.

    > The warning says I must declare my character set.

    > *QUESTION* How do I remove this warning?

    Declare a character set. It's a meta element (http-equiv, content).

    The text of the warning points to "a few tips..." on how to do this. Or just
    look at the source that came from the validator.

    --
    Richard.
    rf, Dec 27, 2007

  3. rf wrote:
    > "charles cashion" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I have worked on it until I am down to one warning.

    >> The warning says I must declare my character set.

    >> *QUESTION* How do I remove this warning?

    > Declare a character set. It's a meta element (http-equiv, content).
    >
    > The text of the warning points to "a few tips..." on how to do this. Or just
    > look at the source that came from the validator.

    Well, actually, the *server* should be configured to send an HTTP header
    with this information. Failing that, and especially if the server is
    configured to send the *wrong* information, the next best approach if
    one is using any kind of server-side technology like PHP or ASP(.NET) is
    to set the character set programmatically. The meta tag solution is a
    last resort (though it's the only resort for an HTML document being
    opened locally instead of being requested from a web server).
    Harlan Messinger, Dec 27, 2007
  4. rf wrote:
    > "charles cashion" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I have worked on it until I am down to one warning.

    >> The warning says I must declare my character set.

    >> *QUESTION* How do I remove this warning?

    > Declare a character set. It's a meta element (http-equiv, content).
    >
    > The text of the warning points to "a few tips..." on how to do this. Or just
    > look at the source that came from the validator.

    *QUESTION* Where is the source that came from the validator?
    --cc
    charles cashion, Dec 27, 2007
  5. charles cashion

    > rf wrote:
    >> "charles cashion" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I have worked on it until I am down to one warning.

    >>> The warning says I must declare my character set.

    >>> *QUESTION* How do I remove this warning?

    >> Declare a character set. It's a meta element (http-equiv, content).
    >>
    >> The text of the warning points to "a few tips..." on how to do this. Or
    >> just look at the source that came from the validator.
    >>

    > *QUESTION* Where is the source that came from the validator?

    View->Page Source.

    --
    Richard.
    rf, Dec 28, 2007
  6. charles cashion

    Ed Mullen Guest

    charles cashion wrote:
    > I have worked on it until I am down to one warning.
    > I have read (almost) all suggested pages associated
    > with this warning. I have made two suggested changes,
    > but it still have one warning.
    >
    > I have compared the first few lines with at least
    > fifty other web pages, and copied what might have
    > been missing from my web page. This is my web site.
    >
    > http://dunjas.com/FontTest.html
    >
    > The warning says I must declare my character set.
    > I think the <meta... line does that.
    > You can click here to directly view the warning.
    >
    > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...(detect automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0
    >

    > *QUESTION* How do I remove this warning? Can you
    > suggest something to read which will tell me how
    > to fix it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Charles

    Add this under the Title meta tag:

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Dec 28, 2007
  7. charles cashion

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    > charles cashion wrote:
    > > I have worked on it until I am down to one warning.
    > > I have read (almost) all suggested pages associated
    > > with this warning. I have made two suggested changes,
    > > but it still have one warning.
    > >
    > > I have compared the first few lines with at least
    > > fifty other web pages, and copied what might have
    > > been missing from my web page. This is my web site.
    > >
    > > http://dunjas.com/FontTest.html
    > >
    > > The warning says I must declare my character set.
    > > I think the <meta... line does that.
    > > You can click here to directly view the warning.
    > >
    > > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://dunjas.com/FontTest.html&ch
    > > arset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0
    > >

    > > *QUESTION* How do I remove this warning? Can you
    > > suggest something to read which will tell me how
    > > to fix it?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Charles

    > Add this under the Title meta tag:

    Read the thread:

    http://tinyurl.com/2dvwye

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Dec 28, 2007
  8. charles cashion

    Ed Mullen Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >
    >> charles cashion wrote:
    >>> I have worked on it until I am down to one warning.
    >>> I have read (almost) all suggested pages associated
    >>> with this warning. I have made two suggested changes,
    >>> but it still have one warning.
    >>>
    >>> I have compared the first few lines with at least
    >>> fifty other web pages, and copied what might have
    >>> been missing from my web page. This is my web site.
    >>>
    >>> http://dunjas.com/FontTest.html
    >>>
    >>> The warning says I must declare my character set.
    >>> I think the <meta... line does that.
    >>> You can click here to directly view the warning.
    >>>
    >>> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://dunjas.com/FontTest.html&ch
    >>> arset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0
    >>>

    >>> *QUESTION* How do I remove this warning? Can you
    >>> suggest something to read which will tell me how
    >>> to fix it?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Charles

    >> Add this under the Title meta tag:

    > Read the thread:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/2dvwye

    I can't. The text is too small and when I enlarge it enough to read I
    have to scroll horizontally. Waaay too much trouble. Was there some
    specific point you wanted to make?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Dec 28, 2007
  9. charles cashion

    rf Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    >> Add this under the Title meta tag:

    > Read the thread:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/2dvwye

    Why? Will it help with character sets?

    --
    Richard.
    rf, Dec 28, 2007
  10. dorayme wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >
    >> charles cashion wrote:
    >>> I have worked on it until I am down to one warning.
    >>> I have read (almost) all suggested pages associated
    >>> with this warning. I have made two suggested changes,
    >>> but it still have one warning.
    >>>
    >>> I have compared the first few lines with at least
    >>> fifty other web pages, and copied what might have
    >>> been missing from my web page. This is my web site.
    >>>
    >>> http://dunjas.com/FontTest.html
    >>>
    >>> The warning says I must declare my character set.
    >>> I think the <meta... line does that.
    >>> You can click here to directly view the warning.
    >>>
    >>> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://dunjas.com/FontTest.html&ch
    >>> arset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0
    >>>

    >>> *QUESTION* How do I remove this warning? Can you
    >>> suggest something to read which will tell me how
    >>> to fix it?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Charles

    >> Add this under the Title meta tag:

    > Read the thread:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/2dvwye

    OK.
    I have read the thread.
    Since I am not firing blanks, and I am not messing with XHTML,
    and I am not using &amp; ... may I buy a vowel?

    I am using &lt: and &gt;. I suppose I could remove all entities
    and see if the validator likes that better. ... I will get back
    to you on this one.

    I have tried both (one at a time)...
    but the warning remains.
    Thanks,
    Charles
    charles cashion, Dec 28, 2007
  11. charles cashion wrote:

    > OK.
    > I have read the thread.
    > Since I am not firing blanks, and I am not messing with XHTML,
    > and I am not using &amp; ... may I buy a vowel?
    >
    > I am using &lt: and &gt;. I suppose I could remove all entities
    > and see if the validator likes that better. ... I will get back
    > to you on this one.
    >
    > I have tried both (one at a time)...
    > but the warning remains.

    The only URL you provide in the thread it above and has no such meta tags.

    Try as your template:

    <head>
    <title>template</title>
    </head>
    <!-- put your markup here -->

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 28, 2007
  12. charles cashion

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:

    > > Read the thread:
    > >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/2dvwye
    > >

    > I can't. The text is too small and when I enlarge it enough to read I
    > have to scroll horizontally. Waaay too much trouble. Was there some
    > specific point you wanted to make?

    You know Ed, this morning, I have clean forgot! Sorry, I might
    have been confusing issues in haste. Forget what I said.

    Not satisfied with this reply? OK. what about: It seems I was
    looking for another thread more on the issue and confused this
    one with another that was confused with a thread that happened to
    be relevant but whose relevance could be confused by those
    distracted by another confused thread on an issue that could
    easily be confused with this one or the other one and I am hoping
    you will let me back out of the room on this one talking as fast
    as I can all the way out without giving anyone a chance to say
    anything hurtful and humiliating to a simple being, in a delicate
    post Xmas phase of life... ?

    (btw, how do you look up old threads if you don't like Google?
    You know you can adjust the frames and stuff? I agree it is not
    the best.)

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Dec 28, 2007
  13. Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    >> OK.
    >> I have read the thread.
    >> Since I am not firing blanks, and I am not messing with XHTML,
    >> and I am not using &amp; ... may I buy a vowel?
    >>
    >> I am using &lt: and &gt;. I suppose I could remove all entities
    >> and see if the validator likes that better. ... I will get back
    >> to you on this one.
    >>
    >> I have tried both (one at a time)...
    >> but the warning remains.

    > The only URL you provide in the thread it above and has no such meta tags.
    >
    > Try as your template:

    > <head>
    > <title>template</title>
    > </head>
    > <!-- put your markup here -->

    Jonathan,
    FIRST, You are right. My code contains/contained no meta
    tags. I know what went wrong *but* I repeated the error.
    I was doing something wrong when I ran ftp.

    My code contains font declarations and a strict doctype
    does not accept font declarations. The first time I ran
    the validator using strict doctype, it gave me *many*
    errors. If you respond to this message, please tell me
    how to access and examine the strict DTD. (thank you)

    I went back to the transitional doctype and installed
    your two suggested meta tags and now I have *NO* errors
    or warnings.
    Charles
    charles cashion, Dec 28, 2007
  14. charles cashion wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    >>> OK.
    >>> I have read the thread.
    >>> Since I am not firing blanks, and I am not messing with XHTML,
    >>> and I am not using &amp; ... may I buy a vowel?
    >>>
    >>> I am using &lt: and &gt;. I suppose I could remove all entities
    >>> and see if the validator likes that better. ... I will get back
    >>> to you on this one.
    >>>
    >>> I have tried both (one at a time)...
    >>> but the warning remains.

    >> The only URL you provide in the thread it above and has no such meta
    >> tags.
    >>
    >> Try as your template:
    >>
    >> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
    >> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
    >> <head>
    >> charset=iso-8859-1">
    >> <title>template</title>
    >> </head>
    >> <!-- put your markup here -->

    > Jonathan,
    > FIRST, You are right. My code contains/contained no meta
    > tags. I know what went wrong *but* I repeated the error.
    > I was doing something wrong when I ran ftp.
    >
    > My code contains font declarations and a strict doctype
    > does not accept font declarations.

    Then *don't* use the deprecated FONT element.

    > The first time I ran
    > the validator using strict doctype, it gave me *many*
    > errors.

    So fix them.

    > If you respond to this message, please tell me
    > how to access and examine the strict DTD. (thank you)

    Try reviewing

    http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/index/elements.html

    Note the *Depr.* column and follow the suggested alternative.

    Also:
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/appendix/changes.html#h-A.3.1.2

    And:
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/appendix/changes.html#h-A.3.1.3

    > I went back to the transitional doctype and installed
    > your two suggested meta tags and now I have *NO* errors
    > or warnings.

    But this is a *new* page, you are not transitioning from anything. Why
    not spend a little time and review the tutorials on www.htmldog.com and
    learn about HTML and CSS. If you were thinking about rebuilding your car
    engine, would you not consider at least looking at a Chilton's book
    before you start?

    How to avoid the FONT element. Use style. Either define a class or style
    an element directly
    <head>
    <title>Demo</title>
    h1 { font-family: "times new roman", times, serif; }
    p { font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; }
    .blush { color: red; }
    .frustration { color: blue; }

    </head>
    <h1>I'm all pointy and Roman</h1>

    But my paragraphs do not have any serifs, and I can
    of a sentence with a span element and a class. We
    keep offering these suggestions until we are
    but people keep using the font element.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 28, 2007
  15. charles cashion wrote:

    > I went back to the transitional doctype and installed
    > your two suggested meta tags and now I have *NO* errors
    > or warnings.

    ...and reverted to last-century style coding.

    Use CSS instead, and the 4.01 Strict doctype. I already showed you how
    to nest font families in one of your other threads.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 28, 2007