    is this?

    Thanks!
    Tony
    Anthony Bollinger, Jun 23, 2006

  2. Anthony Bollinger

    Jared Guest

    Tony

    >From my limited knowledge it looks like the code behind files are

    missing from your project. Are you sure you have the master copy?

    Regards

    Jared

    Jared, Jun 23, 2006

  3. Anthony Bollinger

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Anthony Bollinger" <> wrote in message

    >I am learning ASP.NET 2.0 while working to modify an ASP.NET 1.0
    >application. Here is the first line of one of the files (default.aspx):

    > Codebehind="default.aspx.vb" Inherits="vwma._default"%>
    >
    > All I have are the files on the server.

    Ah - then you have a bit of a problem...

    > There is no file named default.aspx.vb

    But there was once - that's where all the VB.NET code for the page in
    question was stored.

    >nor is there a file named vwma._default. Where is the code for this page?

    vwma_default is the name of a class, not necessarily the name of a class
    file, though the two are often the same...

    > I have read that all the VB code can be compiled into a DLL, but which DLL
    > is this?

    Almost certainly the same name as the web project, which will almost
    certainly be found in the \bin folder.

    Basically, you have three choices here:

    1) Find (one way or another) the original source files for the web app.
    Where's the original developer? Was it developed under some sort of version
    management system e.g. Visual SourceSafe? Backup tapes? Etc.

    2) Find a utility that will decompile the DLL file(s) into their original
    source code. However, this is not guaranteed to solve all your problems, nor
    will it necessarily extract all the compiled code into neatly arranged and
    separated VB modules.
    http://www.google.com/search?source...GGLG:2005-48,GGLG:en&q=DLL "VB.NET" decompile

    3) Assuming the existing site is actually deployed and running somewhere,
    reverse-engineer it i.e. use it as a prototype and rewrite it in ASP.NET 2.

    You have my sympathies - most developers (especially contractors) who've
    been around for a while have encountered something similar to this at least
    once. About 5 years ago, just as the early pre-release of .NET was filtering
    through, I had to reverse-engineer a middle-tier component written in CORBA,
    in between an ASP front-end and SQL Server 6.5 back-end. No source code, no
    documentation, no nothing! Easiest way turned out to be to examine SQL
    Server trace logs ... :)
    Mark Rae, Jun 23, 2006
  4. Thanks for the replies. Based on your comments and as I suspected I have no
    source code. I will see what the DLL will do for me. I've done this before
    on other platforms . . . rewrite from scratch a system you don't know. 8^P

    Thanks,
    Tony
    Anthony Bollinger, Jun 23, 2006