Code for connecting to SQL Server?

Anukul Singhal

Hi,

I want to connect to my SQL Server DB through ruby code.

Searched on the connection and was provided some steps like:

1. Save the latest source distribution of ruby-dbi and copy the file
ADO.rb to
X:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/DBD/ADO/ADO.rb

2. Then, in your database.yml,

development:
adapter: sqlserver
database: database_name
host: server_name
username: user_name
password: pwd

I am not able to find this file.

Can anyone tell me for invoking sql server in SCITE editor?

Is there any other procedure 'coz I dont have rails installed?

Thanks,
Anukul

kranthi reddy

Hey,
Do you want to invoke the sql using ruby code or ruby on rails....
If its just ruby then you u can go a head like this:

require 'mysql'
mysql = Mysql.init()
mysql.connect('localhost','USERNAME','PASSWORD')
mysql.select_db(' DATABASE NAME')
and proceed with the rest of the operations as required .

If its in Ruby on rails then you can configure your database.yml file

cheers,
krantih

Anukul Singhal

kranthi said:
Hey,
Do you want to invoke the sql using ruby code or ruby on rails....
If its just ruby then you u can go a head like this:

require 'mysql'
mysql = Mysql.init()
mysql.connect('localhost','USERNAME','PASSWORD')
mysql.select_db(' DATABASE NAME')
and proceed with the rest of the operations as required .

If its in Ruby on rails then you can configure your database.yml file

cheers,
krantih

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 4:48 PM, Anukul Singhal
<[email protected]>

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

My basic aim is to connect to SQL Server 2005 through Ruby without using
rails.

Can you help in providing a code snippet for connecting to it?

Thanks,
Anukul

Raveendran Jazzez

Hi Anukul,

Try this. I am working windows here.

TRY.rb

=begin
OS : Windows here
Ruby : 1.8.6
DB :Mysql
Gem :> gem install mysql
=end

require "mysql"
#require mysql gem
connection = Mysql.connect("localhost", "root", "", "cdcol")
#localhost = hostname
#root = username of mysql DB
#""=password of mysql DB
#cdcol = DB name
output = connection.query("SELECT * FROM cds;")
#cds = table name
output.each do |x|
puts x.inspect
end

Regards,
P.Raveendran
Railsfactory
http://raveendran.wordpress.com

kranthi reddy

The code what I wrote above helps u to connect to the sql server by modifing
it a lil
require 'mysql'
mysql = Mysql.init()
mysql.connect('localhost','USERNAME','PASSWORD')
mysql.select_db(' DATABASE NAME')
result = []
result= mysql.query("SELECT name FROM users;")
result.each do |x|
puts x.name
end

from the above when u run ur ruby file u can see the result as list of users
in the data base table called users .
name is the column in the users table.
hopefully this should work
You can alwyas change the database type from mysql/postgresql/sqlite3/sql by
modifing in the correct place form the above code
cheers,
kranthi.

Phillip Gawlowski

Phillip Gawlowski

lrlebron

Hi,

I want to connect to my SQL Server DB through ruby code.

Searched on the connection and was provided some steps like:

1. Save the latest source distribution of ruby-dbi and copy the file
ADO.rb to
X:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/DBD/ADO/ADO.rb

2. Then, in your database.yml,

development:
   adapter: sqlserver
   database: database_name
   host: server_name
   username: user_name
   password: pwd

I am not able to find this file.

Can anyone tell me for invoking sql server in SCITE editor?

Is there any other procedure 'coz I dont have rails installed?

Thanks,
Anukul

require 'dbi'

@server_name='localhost'