code indexer

Discussion in 'Perl' started by Kevin Collins, Sep 26, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I posted this message a few days ago in comp.unix.shell and got zero

    Thanks,

    Kevin
    -----

    Hi,

    does anyone know of a tool I can use to create an index / search
    engine for source code (ksh, sh, bash, perl, tcl, expect, awk, C,
    java, etc)?

    I'm thinking of something that would generate an index based on
    keywords, "text", operators, functions, etc... I'm sure I can't be the
    1st person to want something like this and I don't want to re-invent
    the wheel.

    I've looked at Exhuberant Ctags and its not quite what I need, but its
    in the general vicinity.

    I suspect that I could somehow use ViM syntax-highlighting to produce
    indices on a file-by-file basis somehow since it knows all the "stuff"
    I want to index for all those languages (it needs to for the
    highlighting).

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,

    Kevin

    Kevin Collins, Sep 26, 2003

  2. Kevin Collins

    Kris Wempa Guest

    You can pretty much use any language that can build a parser for each of the
    languages you want to do that for. I used a program called 'cscope' which
    did something like that for C. You could type in a symbol and what you were
    specifically looking for (definition, prototype, instance, etc.) and it
    would search an entire directory structure for it. Your problem however is
    far more complicated since you want it to apply to multiple languages.
    Therefore, you would basically need a builtin parser for EACH language. I
    would recommend getting the source code to one of the newer editors such as
    the 'vim' that comes with Linux. This tool changes the color of your text,
    depending on what type of file you are editing. It seems understand quite a
    few languages and does a surprisingly good job. So far, it's worked on
    HTML, C, Perl, C++, shell scripts and .conf files.

    Kris

    Kris Wempa, Oct 2, 2003