    Are people here willing to do an optimisation?

    Ill post code if anyone is up for it!!

    Thanks in advance
    poop, Dec 14, 2005

  2. poop

    Patrice Guest

    Not really "doing" but rather "suggesting how YOU could optimize".

    My first suggestion would be to actually measure where your time budget is
    spent so that you can invest your time on optimizing the relevant parts and
    have a measurable feed back on your changes...

    --
    Patrice

    Patrice, Dec 14, 2005

  3. poop

    poop Guest

    Im pulling records from a database 1 at a time and then creating an email,
    which is sent via a persits email module on the server.

    The problem is that some accounts require the page to send several thousand
    cards. This cycle is causing the server to time out on this page.

    I need to make tihs process quicker.

    poop, Dec 15, 2005
  4. poop

    Bob Lehmann Guest

    Quit sending them one at a time. Add the other recipients to the CC or BCC.

    Or, better still, use a real list server.

    BTW - The way you're doing it, the bottleneck is probably not ASP or the
    component. It's more likely the mail server.

    Bob Lehmann

    Bob Lehmann, Dec 16, 2005
  5. poop

    Patrice Guest

    Though you could alter this setting it's likely better :
    - as suggested in another thread optimize the process itself (by using
    CC/BCC)
    - another thing to try would be to use the filesystem rather than passing by
    COM (for example some components are able to process files that are put in
    their "pickup" directory, it could be quicker)

    Finally, for these kind of things, it's likely better to process this
    asynchronously i.e. the ASP page just queues the tasks to be done and
    another process processes theses tasks (could be as scheduled application, a
    SQL job etc...).

    Patrice, Dec 16, 2005

    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2143
    --