Code suggestion - List comprehension

Discussion in 'Python' started by Shyam Parimal Katti, Dec 12, 2013.

  1. Hello,

    I have a list of sql queries, some which are split across multiple list
    elements e.x.
    ['drop table sample_table;', 'create table sample_test', '(col1 int);',
    'select col1 from', ' sample_test;']

    A semi-colon in the string value indicates the termination of a sql query.
    So the expected out come is a conversion to a list of valid sql queries:
    ['drop table sample_table;', 'create table sample_test (col1 int);',
    'select col1 from sample_test;']

    Here is the code that does that:

    sample = ['drop table sample_table;', 'create table sample_test', '(col1
    int);', 'select col1 from', ' sample_test;']
    pure_sqls = []
    query_holder= ''
    for each_line in sample:
    query_holder += each_line
    if query_holder.endswith(';'):
    pure_sqls.append(query_holder)
    query_holder = ''

    Is there a way to do this by eliminating explicit creation of new
    list(pure_sqls) and a temporary variable(query_holder)? Using list
    comprehension? Though I don't want to put the shorter version in
    production(if it is difficult to understand), I am looking if this can be
    done with list comprehension since I am trying to learn list comprehension
    by using it in such scenarios.
    Shyam Parimal Katti, Dec 12, 2013