Code To Pick A Date From A Calendar

clusardi2k

From: (e-mail address removed)

Does anyone have a link on the Internet to a project that shows how to build
and display a calendar, and lets the user pick a date.

Thank you,

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

Knute Johnson

To: clusardi2k
From: Knute Johnson <[email protected]>

Does anyone have a link on the Internet to a project that shows how
to build and display a calendar, and lets the user pick a date.

Thank you,

Here is one I started some years ago. It is not complete but it would give you
an idea how I was thinking of doing one at the time. I don't really know the
state of the code as I haven't played with it in some time.

//
//
//
// JDateChooser
//
// Written by: Knute Johnson
//
// Date Version Modification
// --------- -------
// 04 jun 05 01.00 incept
//
//
// Constructor Summary
// JDateChooser()
// Creates a new JDateChooser with today's date displayed
// JDateChooser(GregorianCalendar gc)
// Creates a new JDateChooser with the specified date displayed
//
// Method Summary
// GregorianCalendar getCalendar()
// Gets the selected date
// void setCalendar(GregorianCalendar gc)
// Sets and display's the specified date
// static GregorianCalendar showDialog(Component comp)
// Displays a JDateChooser in a modal JDialog and returns the
// selected date or null if dismissed.
// static GregorianCalendar showDialog(Component
comp,GregorianCalendar gc)
// Displays a JDateChooser in a modal JDialog with the
specified date
// and returns the selected date or null if dismissed.
//
//
//

package com.knutejohnson.components;

import java.awt.*;
import java.awt.event.*;
import java.text.*;
import java.util.*;
import javax.swing.*;

public class JDateChooser extends JComponent {
/*
private static final String[] dayStr =
{"SUN","MON","TUE","WED","THU","FRI","SAT"};
*/
private final String[] dayStr;

private final String[] monthStr;
/*
private static final String[] monthStr =
{"JANUARY ","FEBRUARY ","MARCH ","APRIL ","MAY ","JUNE ","JULY ",
"AUGUST ","SEPTEMBER ","OCTOBER ","NOVEMBER ","DECEMBER "};
*/

private GregorianCalendar gc;
private int thisYear,thisMonth,today;
private int selectedDay;

private JButton previousButton,nextButton;
private JLabel[] dayOfWeekLabels = new JLabel[7];
private JLabel[] dayOfMonthLabels = new JLabel[42];
private JLabel monthYearLabel;

private static JDialog dialog;
private static GregorianCalendar retcod;

private final Locale locale;

public JDateChooser() {
this(new GregorianCalendar(),Locale.getDefault());
}

public JDateChooser(GregorianCalendar calendar, Locale locale) {
gc = calendar;
thisYear = gc.get(Calendar.YEAR);
thisMonth = gc.get(Calendar.MONTH);
today = selectedDay = gc.get(Calendar.DAY_OF_MONTH);

this.locale = locale;
DateFormatSymbols dfs = DateFormatSymbols.getInstance(locale);
monthStr = dfs.getMonths();

setLayout(new GridBagLayout());

GridBagConstraints c = new GridBagConstraints();
c.gridx = c.gridy = 0; c.insets = new Insets(2,2,2,2);
c.weightx = 1.0;

c.anchor = GridBagConstraints.WEST;
previousButton = new JButton("<");
previousButton.addActionListener(new ActionListener() {
gc.add(Calendar.MONTH,-1);
int mon = gc.get(Calendar.MONTH);
if (selectedDay >
gc.getActualMaximum(Calendar.DAY_OF_MONTH))
selectedDay = 1;
drawCalendar();
}
});
add(previousButton,c);

++c.gridx; c.anchor = GridBagConstraints.CENTER;
monthYearLabel = new JLabel(" ",JLabel.CENTER);
add(monthYearLabel,c);

++c.gridx; c.anchor = GridBagConstraints.EAST;
nextButton = new JButton(">");
nextButton.addActionListener(new ActionListener() {
gc.add(Calendar.MONTH,1);
int mon = gc.get(Calendar.MONTH);
if (selectedDay >
gc.getActualMaximum(Calendar.DAY_OF_MONTH))
selectedDay = 1;
drawCalendar();
}
});
add(nextButton,c);

MouseListener ml = new MouseAdapter() {
public void mouseClicked(MouseEvent me) {
JLabel dayLabel = (JLabel)me.getSource();
String str = dayLabel.getText();
try {
int num = Integer.parseInt(str);
gc.set(Calendar.DAY_OF_MONTH,num);
selectedDay = num;
drawCalendar();
} catch (NumberFormatException nfe) {
};

c.gridx = 0; ++c.gridy; c.gridwidth = 3;
c.anchor = GridBagConstraints.CENTER;
JPanel panel = new JPanel(new GridLayout(7,7,1,1));

/*
for (int i=0; i<dayStr.length; i++) {
dayOfWeekLabels = new JLabel(dayStr,JLabel.CENTER);
panel.add(dayOfWeekLabels);
}
*/

dayStr = dfs.getShortWeekdays();
int firstDay = gc.getFirstDayOfWeek();
for (int i=0; i<7; i++) {
int x = firstDay + i;
if (i == 6)
x = firstDay == Calendar.MONDAY ? Calendar.SUNDAY :
Calendar.SATURDAY;
dayOfWeekLabels =
new JLabel(dayStr[x].toUpperCase(),JLabel.CENTER);
panel.add(dayOfWeekLabels);
}

for (int i=0; i<dayOfMonthLabels.length; i++) {
dayOfMonthLabels = new JLabel(" ",JLabel.CENTER);
dayOfMonthLabels.setOpaque(true);
dayOfMonthLabels.addMouseListener(ml);
panel.add(dayOfMonthLabels);
}

drawCalendar();

add(panel,c);
}

private void drawCalendar() {
int month = gc.get(Calendar.MONTH);
int year = gc.get(Calendar.YEAR);

monthYearLabel.setText(monthStr[month].toUpperCase() + " " +
Integer.toString(year));

gc.set(Calendar.DAY_OF_MONTH,1);
int firstDayOfMonth = gc.get(Calendar.DAY_OF_WEEK);
if (gc.getFirstDayOfWeek() == Calendar.MONDAY)
--firstDayOfMonth;
gc.set(Calendar.DAY_OF_MONTH,selectedDay);

int day = 1;
for (int i=0; i<42; i++) {
if (i >= (firstDayOfMonth - 1) &&

i<(gc.getActualMaximum(Calendar.DAY_OF_MONTH)+firstDayOfMonth-1)) {
dayOfMonthLabels.setText(Integer.toString(day));
if (day == today && month == thisMonth && year == thisYear)
dayOfMonthLabels.setForeground(Color.RED);
else
dayOfMonthLabels.setForeground(Color.BLACK);
if (day == selectedDay)
dayOfMonthLabels.setBackground(new Color(0xa0a0a0));
else
dayOfMonthLabels.setBackground(Color.WHITE);
++day;
} else {
dayOfMonthLabels.setText(" ");
dayOfMonthLabels.setBackground(new Color(0xe0e0e0));

public GregorianCalendar getCalendar() {
return new GregorianCalendar(gc.get(Calendar.YEAR),
gc.get(Calendar.MONTH),selectedDay);
}

public void setCalendar(GregorianCalendar calendar) {
gc = calendar;
drawCalendar();
}

public static GregorianCalendar showDialog(Component comp) {
return showDialog(comp, new
GregorianCalendar(),Locale.getDefault());
}

public static GregorianCalendar showDialog(Component comp,
GregorianCalendar calendar,Locale locale) {
GridBagConstraints c = new GridBagConstraints();
c.gridx = c.gridy = 0; c.insets = new Insets(2,2,2,2);

c.gridwidth = 2;
JFrame f = new JFrame();
dialog = new JDialog(f,"Select Date",true);
dialog.setLayout(new GridBagLayout());
dialog.addWindowListener(new WindowAdapter() {
public void windowClosing(WindowEvent we) {
retcod = null;
}
});
final JDateChooser dc = new JDateChooser(calendar,locale);
dialog.add(dc,c);

++c.gridy; c.gridwidth = 1; c.anchor = GridBagConstraints.WEST;
JButton okButton = new JButton(" OK ");
okButton.addActionListener(new ActionListener() {
retcod = dc.getCalendar();
dialog.dispose();
}
});
dialog.add(okButton,c);

++c.gridx; c.anchor = GridBagConstraints.EAST;
JButton cancelButton = new JButton("Cancel");
cancelButton.addActionListener(new ActionListener() {
retcod = null;
dialog.dispose();
}
});
dialog.add(cancelButton,c);

dialog.pack();
dialog.setLocationRelativeTo(comp);
dialog.setVisible(true);

return retcod;
}

public void setFont(Font font) {
previousButton.setFont(font);
nextButton.setFont(font);
for (int i=0; i<dayOfWeekLabels.length; i++)
dayOfWeekLabels.setFont(font);
for (int i=0; i<dayOfMonthLabels.length; i++)
dayOfMonthLabels.setFont(font);
monthYearLabel.setFont(font);

Runnable r = new Runnable() {
public void run() {
final JDateChooser dc = new JDateChooser();
final JFrame f = new JFrame();
f.setLayout(new FlowLayout());
f.add(dc);
final JButton b = new JButton("DateChooser");
b.addActionListener(new ActionListener() {
System.out.println(showDialog(b,new
GregorianCalendar(Locale.FRANCE),Locale.FRANCE));
}
});
f.add(b);
f.pack();
f.setVisible(true);
}
};
EventQueue.invokeLater(r);

Knute Johnson

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

Roedy Green

To: clusardi2k
From: Roedy Green <[email protected]>

Does anyone have a link on the Internet to a project that shows how to build
and display a calendar, and lets the user pick a date.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/date.html
there are links to two of them at the bottom.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

To: Knute Johnson
From: (e-mail address removed)
Here is one I started some years ago. It is not complete but it would
give you an idea how I was thinking of doing one at the time. I don't
really know the state of the code as I haven't played with it in some time.

Does the code you posted have a copyright.

Thanks,

To: clusardi2k
From: Knute Johnson <[email protected]>

Does the code you posted have a copyright.

Thanks,

Feel free to steal this code. If you can make any money with it, more power to
you.

--

Knute Johnson

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

Arne Vajhøj

To: clusardi2k
From: Arne Vajhoj <[email protected]>

Does the code you posted have a copyright.

It is expected that code posted to usenet is free for everybody to use for
whatever. Otherwise there were not really any point in posting it.

A lawyer would probably fell down from the chair hearing about such
"expectations", but ...

Arne

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

Gene Wirchenko

To: Arne Vajhøj
From: Gene Wirchenko <[email protected]>

It is expected that code posted to usenet is free for
everybody to use for whatever. Otherwise there were
not really any point in posting it.

Nasty scenario: Get someone to use copyrighted code, and then sue
them for it. Using a computing technique (modularisation), the poster and the
suer may be different individuals.

Copyrighted code posted here is still copyrighted.
A lawyer would probably fell down from the chair
hearing about such "expectations", but ...

Well, yes.

OTOH, if the code is short, I think that that would weaken any
argument. Most anything posted here (attachments excepted) would be short.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

To: Gene Wirchenko
From: =?windows-1252?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?= <[email protected]>

Nasty scenario: Get someone to use copyrighted code, and then sue
them for it. Using a computing technique (modularisation), the poster
and the suer may be different individuals.

Strange things has happened before.
Copyrighted code posted here is still copyrighted.

Obviously code posted here is copyrighted.

The question is whether posting to usenet implicit provides a "permissible
license".

Web fora where users has to register can require an explicit accept.

SO:

You agree that all Subscriber Content that You contribute to the Network is
perpetually and irrevocably licensed to Stack Exchange under the Creative
Commons Attribution Share Alike license. You grant Stack Exchange the perpetual
and irrevocable right and license to use, copy, cache, publish, display,
distribute, modify, create derivative works and store such Subscriber Content
and to allow others to do so in any medium now known or hereinafter developed
(rContent License%) in order to provide the Services, even if such Subscriber
Content has been contributed and subsequently removed by You.

E-E:

By registering with Experts Exchange and posting Your Content on the Site, you
hereby: (i) grant Experts Exchange a non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable,
unrestricted, transferable, fully sub-licensable, worldwide, royalty-free
license to use, distribute, display, reproduce, perform, modify, adapt,
publish, translate and create derivative works from Your Content in any form,
media or technology, whether now-known or hereafter developed;

I would argue that usenet posts via tradition, logic and similarity comes with
an implicit license for free usage by anyone.

Arne

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

Mike Winter

To: =?windows-1252?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=
From: Mike Winter <[email protected]>

[...]

If I'm not mistaken, those sorts of licenses are merely to permit sites that
retain user submissions to store that content and resend it others in some form
(usually forums) without infringing on copyright. It doesn't automatically
allow other users to use that content as it's the site that is granted the
license--the work isn't placed into the Public Domain.

Of course, these licenses do mean that such websites could, in principle, take
someones hard work and use it themselves even though the original creator
retains ownership.

I would argue that the "to allow others" phrase in the Stack Exchange terms is
intended to refer only to third-parties that work with them to provide or
develop its services rather than others generally, but it's ill-defined here
and could extend to anyone SE deems applicable.

Kind regards,
Mike

--
Michael Winter -- Not a lawyer!

To: Mike Winter
From: =?windows-1252?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?= <[email protected]>

If I'm not mistaken, those sorts of licenses are merely to permit sites
that retain user submissions to store that content and resend it others
in some form (usually forums) without infringing on copyright. It
doesn't automatically allow other users to use that content as it's the
site that is granted the license--the work isn't placed into the Public
Domain.

Of course, these licenses do mean that such websites could, in
principle, take someones hard work and use it themselves even though the
original creator retains ownership.

I would argue that the "to allow others" phrase in the Stack Exchange
terms is intended to refer only to third-parties that work with them to
provide or develop its services rather than others generally, but it's
ill-defined here and could extend to anyone SE deems applicable.

Without any limitation mentioned I would expect that other could be literally
anyone.

Study of "Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike" may provide more insight,
but I am not on SO so I do not care much.

Arne

Arne

To: =?windows-1252?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=
From: Gene Wirchenko <[email protected]>

On 8/5/2012 9:39 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
[snip]
Copyrighted code posted here is still copyrighted.

Obviously code posted here is copyrighted.

The question is whether posting to usenet implicit
provides a "permissible license".

Web fora where users has to register can require an
explicit accept.

SO:

You agree that all Subscriber Content that You contribute to the Network
is perpetually and irrevocably licensed to Stack Exchange under the
Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike license. You grant Stack

If I post code that I do not have the copyright for, I can not
give that right. I can agree with it all I want, but that is not the same
thing.

[snip]

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

Lew

To: Mike Winter
From: Lew <[email protected]>

If I'm not mistaken, those sorts of licenses are merely to permit sites
that retain user submissions to store that content and resend it others
in some form (usually forums) without infringing on copyright. It
doesn't automatically allow other users to use that content as it's the
site that is granted the license--the work isn't placed into the Public
Domain.

Of course, these licenses do mean that such websites could, in
principle, take someones hard work and use it themselves even though the
original creator retains ownership.

The Creative Commons License explicitly allows that, yes.
I would argue that the "to allow others" phrase in the Stack Exchange
terms is intended to refer only to third-parties that work with them to
provide or develop its services rather than others generally, but it's
ill-defined [sic] here and could extend to anyone SE deems applicable.

You'd be mistaken.

Stack Exchange explicitly specifies the Creative Commons Attribution Share
Alike license.

That's not ill defined and extends to everyone irrespective of whom SE deems
applicable. It explicitly allows everyone access, not just SE. If they hadn't
intended that, they wouldn't have specified a license that explicitly exists
for the very purpose of extending universal access.

--
Lew

To: Gene Wirchenko
From: Lew <[email protected]>

Gene said:
If I post code that I do not have the copyright for, I can not
give that right. I can agree with it all I want, but that is not the
same thing.

That's not the point. The point is that if you contribute code under that
agreement, and you do not hold copyright, *you* are liable for the
infringement, not the site.

--

To: Lew
From: Gene Wirchenko <[email protected]>

That's not the point. The point is that if you contribute code under
that agreement, and you do not hold copyright, *you* are liable
for the infringement, not the site.

So? The site is not going to get the right.

This could lead to trouble if a programmer posts part of an
employer's app, say a useful function.

To: Gene Wirchenko
From: Lew <[email protected]>

Gene said:
So? The site is not going to get the right.

This could lead to trouble if a programmer posts part of an
employer's app, say a useful function.

Trouble for whom?

That's the point.

The site's rules mean they aren't the ones who get in trouble.

It isn't about whether the site gets the right, it's about whether they get the
liability.

That explains why they make that rule. What more are you looking for?

--

To: Lew
From: Mike Winter <[email protected]>

I would argue that the "to allow others" phrase in the Stack Exchange
terms is intended to refer only to third-parties that work with them to
provide or develop its services rather than others generally, but it's
ill-defined [sic] here and could extend to anyone SE deems applicable.

You'd be mistaken.

Stack Exchange explicitly specifies the Creative Commons Attribution
Share Alike license.

Unfortunately, as it was late I hadn't taken the time to read that license so
you are of course correct with regard to its implications.

--
Mike Winter

To: Lew
From: Gene Wirchenko <[email protected]>

Trouble for whom?

That's the point.

The site's rules mean they aren't the ones who get in trouble.

They could be the recipient of a cease-and-desist order.

To: Gene Wirchenko
From: Arne Vajhoj <[email protected]>

On 8/5/2012 9:39 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
[snip]
Copyrighted code posted here is still copyrighted.

Obviously code posted here is copyrighted.

The question is whether posting to usenet implicit
provides a "permissible license".

Web fora where users has to register can require an
explicit accept.

SO:

You agree that all Subscriber Content that You contribute to the Network
is perpetually and irrevocably licensed to Stack Exchange under the
Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike license. You grant Stack

If I post code that I do not have the copyright for, I can not
give that right. I can agree with it all I want, but that is not the
same thing.

That is obvious.

But it is no different from any other context.

You can not give away something you don't own.

To: Gene Wirchenko
From: Arne Vajhoj <[email protected]>

So? The site is not going to get the right.

This could lead to trouble if a programmer posts part of an
employer's app, say a useful function.

Sure.

And if you buy a car from someone that does not own that car, then you can also
get in problems.

To: Gene Wirchenko
From: Arne Vajhoj <[email protected]>

They could be the recipient of a cease-and-desist order.

The general practice in most countries for user provided content is that:
- if the site removes illegal content when being notified about
the problem then they are fine
- if the site does not do that then the courts go after the site