    Any one know of some code to read cobol data files....

    thanks
    timb

    none, Sep 22, 2005

  2. none wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Any one know of some code to read cobol data files....
    >
    > thanks
    > timb

    I posted some here maybe 5+ years ago that would convert COBOL comp-3,
    comp-4, and comp-5 fields (as from Realia) to whatever. I suppose you
    can still find it in google somewhere.

    There was some help for cracking one of the other COBOL file formats at
    a site called Wotsit's file formats or something like that. This helped
    me access data out of ISAM files from one of the non-Realia desktop
    COBOLs. It was one of the more popular COBOL versions way back in the
    1980's, but I don't recall anymore which one it was, but I'd guess RM
    Cobol if I had to.

    COBOL has/had an indexed file type defined in the language, and the
    COBOL vendors each implemented it independently, I think. So there are
    variations in both the coding of various field/record types and the way
    that the files are put together. But Python can handle it if you can
    figure out the rules.

    Al

    Al Christians, Sep 22, 2005

  3. On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:01:17 +0930, none <""timb\"@(none)"> declaimed
    the following in comp.lang.python:

    > Hi,
    > Any one know of some code to read cobol data files....

    That's a rather open-ended question...

    What compiler system created them? BCD or binary (I believe there
    are two or three common methods of handling decimal and sign markers in
    BCD)... EBCDIC or ASCII?

    {Unfortunately, I've never successfully finessed the installer from my
    Y2K COBOL text -- it had a learning edition of 32-bit Fujitsu COBOL 4
    with a GUI capability and IDE; the installer doesn't like anything newer
    than W9x}

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Sep 22, 2005