Code to read Cobol data files

Al Christians

none said:
Hi,
Any one know of some code to read cobol data files....

thanks
timb

I posted some here maybe 5+ years ago that would convert COBOL comp-3,
comp-4, and comp-5 fields (as from Realia) to whatever. I suppose you
can still find it in google somewhere.

There was some help for cracking one of the other COBOL file formats at
a site called Wotsit's file formats or something like that. This helped
me access data out of ISAM files from one of the non-Realia desktop
COBOLs. It was one of the more popular COBOL versions way back in the
1980's, but I don't recall anymore which one it was, but I'd guess RM
Cobol if I had to.

COBOL has/had an indexed file type defined in the language, and the
COBOL vendors each implemented it independently, I think. So there are
variations in both the coding of various field/record types and the way
that the files are put together. But Python can handle it if you can
figure out the rules.

Al

Dennis Lee Bieber

Hi,
Any one know of some code to read cobol data files....
That's a rather open-ended question...

What compiler system created them? BCD or binary (I believe there
are two or three common methods of handling decimal and sign markers in
BCD)... EBCDIC or ASCII?

{Unfortunately, I've never successfully finessed the installer from my
Y2K COBOL text -- it had a learning edition of 32-bit Fujitsu COBOL 4
with a GUI capability and IDE; the installer doesn't like anything newer
than W9x}