Codepage for Win32 dosbox

Richard Ivarson

Some Java programs I use output text to the console with contains
Unicodes. Inside a Unix console and other Iso-Latin capable consoles,
everything is perfect.
However when I run them within a Win32 dosbox
(command.com/cmd.com/etc) those Unicode characters are being mapped to
wrong DOS characters.

In former times (Java 1.2 I think) I could do the following trick
within such a Dos box:
java -Dfile.encoding=Cp850 -jar Javapp.jar
And the characters have been correct (it's been a dosbox with German
Umlaut characters then).

However, nowadays, it doesn't work anymore. The JRE issues an
Exception that it doesn't know that codepage.

Does anybody please know a solution? Many thanks.

-ric

Richard Ivarson

Hi Mark, hi Tor,

thanks for your helpful answers.
Since other OS'es consoles (Unix etc) show the Unicode characters of
my Java apps correctly I think the best solution is to isse a "chcp
1252" in the Windows NT (4/5) dosbox before starting the Java app.
This works perfect.
Many thanks again!

-ric

Mark Thornton said:
One solution is to change the code page used by the console:
[..]