Codepage problems with ASP.net in IIS

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by hb, Jan 17, 2006.

  1. hb

    hb Guest

    Hi,

    I have a flat html file which is in the utf-8 codepage. The file is
    created with Word.
    This code is at the beginning of the page:
    <head>
    <link href="css/stylesheet.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
    </head>

    In my web application I use the <globalization
    requestEncoding="utf-8" responseEncoding="utf-8" /> settings in the
    web.config file.

    However, when I view this html page with IE of mozilla words like
    clïent (with a double dot on the i) are shown as something like
    Cliënt. When I open the html page as a file from e.g. c:\ in both IE
    as well as mozilla the words are shown correctly.

    My conclusion is that IIS or ASP.Net causes this problem. Are there any
    other settings I have to make in the web.config, IIS or where ever?

    Any suggestions are welcome.

    hb, Jan 17, 2006

  2. hb

    Paxton Guest

    hb wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a flat html file which is in the utf-8 codepage. The file is
    > created with Word.
    > This code is at the beginning of the page:
    > <head>
    > <link href="css/stylesheet.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
    > </head>
    >
    > In my web application I use the <globalization
    > requestEncoding="utf-8" responseEncoding="utf-8" /> settings in the
    > web.config file.
    >
    > However, when I view this html page with IE of mozilla words like
    > cl?ent (with a double dot on the i) are shown as something like
    > Cliënt. When I open the html page as a file from e.g. c:\ in both IE
    > as well as mozilla the words are shown correctly.
    >
    > My conclusion is that IIS or ASP.Net causes this problem. Are there any
    > other settings I have to make in the web.config, IIS or where ever?
    >
    > Any suggestions are welcome.

    A quick google for "codepage web.config file" gave me this in the
    second result:

    pg_CodePage

    This is an optional entry which can be used to define the code page
    when the web pages are read. If this setting is left out, then a
    standard code page of 1252 is used which should be correct for Western
    character sets.

    If you wish to use a different code page, the value is integer of the
    form value="950".

    In some circumstances you may see ? characters when the pages are
    indexed. This is an indication that the code page is incorrect.

    If this doesn't solve your problem, you are probably better off asking
    in one of the dotnet groups, such as

    /P.

    Paxton, Jan 17, 2006