coding "downloads" - &Mac Users

George

hello.

i want to code a link so that users can download a PDF file. Unfortunately,
a simple HREF causes the PDF to be opened in their Acrobat browser plugin
with no options to "save as".

Is there HTML coding that will automatically bring up the little "save as"
dialog options when someone clicks on the link?

Otherwise, I could write out directions to "right-click" and choose "save
as...", but what would I say for Mac Users? Is it CTRL-Click or
Option-Click that brings up context menus on Mac?

thanks for any suggestionss.....

George

Kris

"George" <[email protected]> said:
i want to code a link so that users can download a PDF file. Unfortunately,
a simple HREF causes the PDF to be opened in their Acrobat browser plugin
with no options to "save as".

Is there HTML coding that will automatically bring up the little "save as"
dialog options when someone clicks on the link?

Otherwise, I could write out directions to "right-click" and choose "save
as...", but what would I say for Mac Users? Is it CTRL-Click or
Option-Click that brings up context menus on Mac?

Why would they need to save it to disk first? (Which already happens or
else they cannot view it. The problem rises when they cannot find it
again. Saving the file to disk manually increases the chance for the
user to find it back)

What if they just want to take a look at it and leave it at that?
Example:

You may want to save this file to disk manually to view it at a later
time. This can be done through bringing up the contextual menu on the
link and choose the option <em>Save as</em>. You can right-click the
link or use the left mousebutton in combination with the <abbr
title="Control">CTRL</abbr>-key (Macintosh-users).

Not all Mac users have single-button mice. Not all multi-button mice
users are on Windows OS. Saving to disk can be done in more ways than
through the contextual menu.

George

Kris said:
Why would they need to save it to disk first? (Which already happens or
else they cannot view it. The problem rises when they cannot find it
again. Saving the file to disk manually increases the chance for the
user to find it back)

What if they just want to take a look at it and leave it at that?
Example:

You may want to save this file to disk manually to view it at a later
time. This can be done through bringing up the contextual menu on the
link and choose the option <em>Save as</em>. You can right-click the
link or use the left mousebutton in combination with the <abbr
title="Control">CTRL</abbr>-key (Macintosh-users).

Not all Mac users have single-button mice. Not all multi-button mice
users are on Windows OS. Saving to disk can be done in more ways than
through the contextual menu.

Kris, I know for a fact that my clients do want to save this to disk. This
is a given. I wanted to know if there was HTML that would force the "save
as.." dialog to open. I'm sure I've encountered this before when
downloading music files or executables (shareware, etc).

My simple question was, "how is this done...?"

Thanks for Mac info though. So, CTRL-CLICK is the same as "right-click" for
mac users?

thanks,

George

Toby A Inkster

George said:
Is there HTML coding that will automatically bring up the little "save as"
dialog options when someone clicks on the link?

No. What happens with a downloaded file is entirely up to the user's
browser.

Whitecrest

Otherwise, I could write out directions to "right-click" and choose "save
as...", but what would I say for Mac Users? Is it CTRL-Click or
Option-Click that brings up context menus on Mac?

Do you think they don't know?

Of the three major food groups of operating systems you basically have
Windows, *Nix, and Mac. (yea, yea, there are others but for the sake of
the argument, these are the three main ones) Of the three. I would take
a guess that Mac users and *nix users have a better understanding of
their computer than Windows users do.

Dennis M. Marks

I have read the following message from Toby A Inkster
<[email protected]>
and have decided to lend my vast knowledge.

The writer said:
No. What happens with a downloaded file is entirely up to the user's
browser.

and my reply is:
About the only way to do this is to compress the file using Stuffit of
Zipit. It will then be downloaded and uncompressed without Acrobat
openning.

Jim Royal

George <[email protected]> said:
Is there HTML coding that will automatically bring up the little "save as"
dialog options when someone clicks on the link?

This is not something you can do in HTML, unfortunately.

Two ways around it: a) Compress the PDF as a ZIP file. b) Change the
MIME types on the web server so that the server does not identify PDF
files as PDF files. I would not recommend the latter.

A simple line of instructions is probably the safest. Macs with
single-button mice can Control-click to get the contextual manu.

Bob

Two ways around it: a) Compress the PDF as a ZIP file. b) Change the
MIME types on the web server so that the server does not identify PDF
files as PDF files. I would not recommend the latter.

Or have a program on the server stream the file with a MIME type that
indicates that it's an executable - the browser will prompt for a
download.

Leonard Blaisdell

i want to code a link so that users can download a PDF file. Unfortunately,
a simple HREF causes the PDF to be opened in their Acrobat browser plugin
with no options to "save as".

Speaking only for OS9 and below, I have IE5 set to download and then
display PDFs. Mozilla asks if I want to download or view in Acrobat
Reader. These are browser options in the download section of the
preferences. I do my markup on the Mac and have never provided anything
but a standard link to any pdf files that I've put up. I've never
considered it a problem.
On the other hand, I'm not familiar with the plugin concept for Acrobat
Reader. I have Acrobat Reader and Mozilla and IE have been made aware of
it. Still, I think it's a problem that can be solved by the user somewhere
in settings although I have no experience with OSX or Acrobat plugins.

leo

George

On the other hand, I'm not familiar with the plugin concept for Acrobat
Reader. I have Acrobat Reader and Mozilla and IE have been made aware of
it. Still, I think it's a problem that can be solved by the user somewhere
in settings although I have no experience with OSX or Acrobat plugins.

Actually, the most assinine thing about the Acrobat Plugin is that is does
not let you "save as" for any PDF that you are viewing. I mean, jesus, the
file is already in your internet cache, so, Adobe-Heads, what's the lumber
up your ass all about anyway?

Bob

Actually, the most assinine thing about the Acrobat Plugin is that is does
not let you "save as" for any PDF that you are viewing. I mean, jesus, the
file is already in your internet cache, so, Adobe-Heads, what's the lumber
up your ass all about anyway?

Acrobat 5 - click the Save tool at the left end of the toolbar.