    Option-Click that brings up context menus on Mac?

    thanks for any suggestionss.....

    George
    George, Jan 8, 2004

  2. George

    Kris Guest

    In article <0C7Lb.48013$Dm.16946@edtnps89>, "George" <>
    wrote:

    > i want to code a link so that users can download a PDF file. Unfortunately,
    > a simple HREF causes the PDF to be opened in their Acrobat browser plugin
    > with no options to "save as".
    >
    > Is there HTML coding that will automatically bring up the little "save as"
    > dialog options when someone clicks on the link?
    >
    > Otherwise, I could write out directions to "right-click" and choose "save
    > as...", but what would I say for Mac Users? Is it CTRL-Click or
    > Option-Click that brings up context menus on Mac?

    Why would they need to save it to disk first? (Which already happens or
    else they cannot view it. The problem rises when they cannot find it
    again. Saving the file to disk manually increases the chance for the
    user to find it back)

    What if they just want to take a look at it and leave it at that?
    Example:

    You may want to save this file to disk manually to view it at a later
    time. This can be done through bringing up the contextual menu on the
    link and choose the option <em>Save as</em>. You can right-click the
    link or use the left mousebutton in combination with the <abbr
    title="Control">CTRL</abbr>-key (Macintosh-users).

    Not all Mac users have single-button mice. Not all multi-button mice
    users are on Windows OS. Saving to disk can be done in more ways than
    through the contextual menu.

    --
    Kris
    erlands (nl)
    Kris, Jan 8, 2004

  3. George

    George Guest

    "Kris" <> wrote in message
    > In article <0C7Lb.48013$Dm.16946@edtnps89>, "George" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > i want to code a link so that users can download a PDF file.

    Unfortunately,
    > > a simple HREF causes the PDF to be opened in their Acrobat browser

    plugin
    > > with no options to "save as".
    > >
    > > Is there HTML coding that will automatically bring up the little "save

    as"
    > > dialog options when someone clicks on the link?
    > >
    > > Otherwise, I could write out directions to "right-click" and choose

    "save
    > > as...", but what would I say for Mac Users? Is it CTRL-Click or
    > > Option-Click that brings up context menus on Mac?

    > Why would they need to save it to disk first? (Which already happens or
    > else they cannot view it. The problem rises when they cannot find it
    > again. Saving the file to disk manually increases the chance for the
    > user to find it back)
    >
    > What if they just want to take a look at it and leave it at that?
    > Example:

    > You may want to save this file to disk manually to view it at a later
    > time. This can be done through bringing up the contextual menu on the
    > link and choose the option <em>Save as</em>. You can right-click the
    > link or use the left mousebutton in combination with the <abbr
    > title="Control">CTRL</abbr>-key (Macintosh-users).
    >

    > Not all Mac users have single-button mice. Not all multi-button mice
    > users are on Windows OS. Saving to disk can be done in more ways than
    > through the contextual menu.
    >
    > --
    > Kris
    > erlands (nl)

    Kris, I know for a fact that my clients do want to save this to disk. This
    is a given. I wanted to know if there was HTML that would force the "save
    as.." dialog to open. I'm sure I've encountered this before when
    downloading music files or executables (shareware, etc).

    My simple question was, "how is this done...?"

    Thanks for Mac info though. So, CTRL-CLICK is the same as "right-click" for
    mac users?

    thanks,

    George
    George, Jan 8, 2004
  4. George wrote:

    > Is there HTML coding that will automatically bring up the little "save as"
    > dialog options when someone clicks on the link?

    No. What happens with a downloaded file is entirely up to the user's
    browser.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Jan 8, 2004
  5. George

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <0C7Lb.48013$Dm.16946@edtnps89>, says...
    > Otherwise, I could write out directions to "right-click" and choose "save
    > as...", but what would I say for Mac Users? Is it CTRL-Click or
    > Option-Click that brings up context menus on Mac?

    Do you think they don't know?

    Of the three major food groups of operating systems you basically have
    Windows, *Nix, and Mac. (yea, yea, there are others but for the sake of
    the argument, these are the three main ones) Of the three. I would take
    a guess that Mac users and *nix users have a better understanding of
    their computer than Windows users do.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Jan 8, 2004
  6. I have read the following message from Toby A Inkster
    <>
    and have decided to lend my vast knowledge.

    The writer said:
    > George wrote:
    >
    > > Is there HTML coding that will automatically bring up the little "save as"
    > > dialog options when someone clicks on the link?

    > No. What happens with a downloaded file is entirely up to the user's
    > browser.
    >
    > --
    > Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    > Contact Me - http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=132

    and my reply is:
    About the only way to do this is to compress the file using Stuffit of
    Zipit. It will then be downloaded and uncompressed without Acrobat
    openning.

    --
    Dennis M. Marks
    http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/

    Dennis M. Marks, Jan 8, 2004
  7. George

    Jim Royal Guest

    wrote:

    > Is there HTML coding that will automatically bring up the little "save as"
    > dialog options when someone clicks on the link?

    This is not something you can do in HTML, unfortunately.

    Two ways around it: a) Compress the PDF as a ZIP file. b) Change the
    MIME types on the web server so that the server does not identify PDF
    files as PDF files. I would not recommend the latter.

    A simple line of instructions is probably the safest. Macs with
    single-button mice can Control-click to get the contextual manu.

    --
    Jim Royal
    "Understanding is a three-edged sword"
    Jim Royal, Jan 8, 2004
  8. George

    Bob Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 10:58:25 -0500, Jim Royal <>
    wrote:

    >Two ways around it: a) Compress the PDF as a ZIP file. b) Change the
    >MIME types on the web server so that the server does not identify PDF
    >files as PDF files. I would not recommend the latter.

    Or have a program on the server stream the file with a MIME type that
    indicates that it's an executable - the browser will prompt for a
    download.
    Bob, Jan 8, 2004
  9. In article <0C7Lb.48013$Dm.16946@edtnps89>, "George" <> wrote:

    > i want to code a link so that users can download a PDF file. Unfortunately,
    > a simple HREF causes the PDF to be opened in their Acrobat browser plugin
    > with no options to "save as".

    Speaking only for OS9 and below, I have IE5 set to download and then
    display PDFs. Mozilla asks if I want to download or view in Acrobat
    Reader. These are browser options in the download section of the
    preferences. I do my markup on the Mac and have never provided anything
    but a standard link to any pdf files that I've put up. I've never
    considered it a problem.
    On the other hand, I'm not familiar with the plugin concept for Acrobat
    Reader. I have Acrobat Reader and Mozilla and IE have been made aware of
    it. Still, I think it's a problem that can be solved by the user somewhere
    in settings although I have no experience with OSX or Acrobat plugins.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
    Leonard Blaisdell, Jan 8, 2004
  10. George

    George Guest

    > On the other hand, I'm not familiar with the plugin concept for Acrobat
    > Reader. I have Acrobat Reader and Mozilla and IE have been made aware of
    > it. Still, I think it's a problem that can be solved by the user somewhere
    > in settings although I have no experience with OSX or Acrobat plugins.

    Actually, the most assinine thing about the Acrobat Plugin is that is does
    not let you "save as" for any PDF that you are viewing. I mean, jesus, the
    file is already in your internet cache, so, Adobe-Heads, what's the lumber
    up your ass all about anyway?
    George, Jan 9, 2004
  11. George

    Bob Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 01:20:40 GMT, "George" <> wrote:

    >Actually, the most assinine thing about the Acrobat Plugin is that is does
    >not let you "save as" for any PDF that you are viewing. I mean, jesus, the
    >file is already in your internet cache, so, Adobe-Heads, what's the lumber
    >up your ass all about anyway?

    Acrobat 5 - click the Save tool at the left end of the toolbar.
    Bob, Jan 10, 2004