    A majority of the participating organisations have coding standards...
    and a majority does not control them ;o) What is the situation at your
    location? Does this lack of control really hurt?
    editormt, Dec 5, 2006

  2. editormt wrote:
    > A recent..

    I note that you are too busy multi-posting to
    add any actual opinions of your own that
    might start a discussion.

    Are you sure you have enough time to read the

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Dec 5, 2006

  3. editormt

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <>, editormt
    ('') wrote:

    > A recent poll asked if programming standards are used by development
    > organisations... and if they are controlled.
    >
    > None: 20%
    > Yes, but without control: 49%
    > Yes, with control: 31%
    >
    > Participants: 369
    >
    > Source: Methods & Tools (http://www.methodsandtools.com)
    >
    > A majority of the participating organisations have coding standards...
    > and a majority does not control them ;o) What is the situation at your
    > location? Does this lack of control really hurt?

    This is necessarily the case on all open source projects. If the lack of
    control hurt, it wouldn't be the case that open source code was generally
    better than proprietary code.

    In open source, coding standards get enforced by informal means - if people
    write unmaintainable crap, it doesn't get used. In the workplace, this
    comes out through mentoring, through buddy programs and through code
    review. And through colleagues looking at your code and saying 'who wrote
    this drivel?' Good programmers take pride in their craftsmanship; they
    don't need standards enforced, just pointed out to them when they deviate.
    Bad programmers? Lose 'em.

    -- mens vacua in medio vacuo --
    Simon Brooke, Dec 6, 2006
  4. editormt

    Mark Rafn Guest

    editormt <> wrote:
    >A recent poll asked if programming standards are used by development
    >organisations... and if they are controlled.

    >None: 20%
    >Yes, but without control: 49%
    >Yes, with control: 31%

    What a pointless survey. I can only assume it's sponsored by someone trying
    to sell consulting service or "control" software.

    EVERYONE has coding standards. The degree of specificity of these standards
    varies widely, there is no line at which you have standards. And the degree
    of control varies widely as well, from devs doing their best, to code reviews,
    to software settings (i.e. use a specified eclipse formatter setting), etc.

    >A majority of the participating organisations have coding standards...

    All organizations, including individuals, have coding standards. They vary in
    degree of specificity and formality of the standard. The range of options is
    large enough that a survey doesn't capture it.

    >and a majority does not control them ;o)

    Any standard is controlled, with varying degrees of formality.

    >Does this lack of control really hurt?

    Not as much as overaggressive control would.
    --
    Mark Rafn <http://www.dagon.net/>
    Mark Rafn, Dec 6, 2006