coding XML in Java and VB

Venkata Ramana Kala

Can any one please let me know where to start from and code xml in
java and vb? please suggest me some good sites and books to start
with(from scratch to advanced). I would like to get the exact essence
of XML. It would be greatful if anyone can respond back positively
with some useful stuff. Thank You.

Martin Honnen

Venkata said:
Can any one please let me know where to start from and code xml in
java and vb? please suggest me some good sites and books to start
with(from scratch to advanced). I would like to get the exact essence
of XML. It would be greatful if anyone can respond back positively
with some useful stuff.

VB can and should use MSXML, Microsoft's COM based XML software package,
the documentation of MSXML is online here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/xmlsdk/html/xmmscXML.asp
Windows XP with IE 6 comes with MSXML version 3 but there is also MSXML
version 4 which can be downloaded from http://msdn.microsoft.com/ and
provides more features (W3C XML schema support) and better performance
(XSLT for instance).

As for Java, the Sun Java SDK 1.4 has built-in support for SAX parsing
and for the W3C DOM Level 2 Core, for XSLT 1.0, check your SDK
documentation.

And http://xml.apache.org/ has a lot to offer with Xerces J (W3C XML
schema support) and Xalan J.

Steve W. Jackson

Martin Honnen said:
:Venkata Ramana Kala wrote:
:
[...]

Actually, the XML support built into Java 2 began back with 1.3, if
memory serves. But whichever version, it *is* the Xerces-J and Xalan-J
packages.

= Steve =

Martin Honnen

Steve said:
Actually, the XML support built into Java 2 began back with 1.3, if
memory serves. But whichever version, it *is* the Xerces-J and Xalan-J
packages.

No, the XML parser in the Sun JDK 1.4 is called Crimson not Xerces.
And in 1.3 as documented in
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/api/index.html
I don't see any XML packages/classes (e.g. the javax.xml.* stuff that is
in 1.4).
You are right that some Xalan-J version is used in 1.4 to provide XSLT
transformation support.

Steve W. Jackson

Martin Honnen said:
:Steve W. Jackson wrote:
:
:> In article <[email protected]>,
:>
:>
:
:>>:
:>>:And http://xml.apache.org/ has a lot to offer with Xerces J (W3C XML
:>>:schema support) and Xalan J.
:>
:>
:> Actually, the XML support built into Java 2 began back with 1.3, if
:> memory serves. But whichever version, it *is* the Xerces-J and Xalan-J
:> packages.
:
:No, the XML parser in the Sun JDK 1.4 is called Crimson not Xerces.
:And in 1.3 as documented in
: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/api/index.html
:I don't see any XML packages/classes (e.g. the javax.xml.* stuff that is
:in 1.4).
:You are right that some Xalan-J version is used in 1.4 to provide XSLT
:transformation support.

I could've sworn XML showed up back when we used 1.3...guess the brain
is failing. I would've also sworn that i saw evidence of Xerces
someplace there...perhaps it's merely confusion with something else I've
been using for some time. So I suppose I stand corrected.

= Steve =