Coffee Break: When and How did you realize you are a betterprogrammer than you thought?

Discussion in 'Java' started by pek, May 21, 2008.

  1. pek

    pek Guest

    I've been posting in google groups for several years now. Looking back
    at my first posts, I could see replies such as RTFM or straight URL
    links to the answers I was looking for and generally, small simple
    answers. But for the past couple of days I've been getting more long
    and complex answers. Some times the post has more than 10 replies.

    So I stopped and thought about it. I can now clearly see that I have
    learned a lot during these years. Of course, in many case (not all),
    the more time you spend learning a language, the better you get. But
    when and what triggers you to stop and revise your years of learning?

    To me, it was when I started a discussion about a problem I had. One
    of the replies was from a more experienced programmer than I was (or
    even am). He posted a code snippet that was 90% the same as mine (of
    course, the other 10% was where my error laid). That's when it hit me.
    "Wow. I wrote a pretty good code after all".

    Of course, other signs where like people actually answering to my
    posts, asking more design problems than coding problems etc.

    So, to make this post more like a survey.

    Have you ever suddenly realized that you have become a pretty good
    programmer? What triggered it? How did you feel?

    Regards,
    P. Peikidis
    pek, May 21, 2008