Coffee Break: When and How did you realize you are a betterprogrammer than you thought?

pek

I've been posting in google groups for several years now. Looking back
at my first posts, I could see replies such as RTFM or straight URL
links to the answers I was looking for and generally, small simple
answers. But for the past couple of days I've been getting more long
and complex answers. Some times the post has more than 10 replies.

So I stopped and thought about it. I can now clearly see that I have
learned a lot during these years. Of course, in many case (not all),
the more time you spend learning a language, the better you get. But
when and what triggers you to stop and revise your years of learning?

To me, it was when I started a discussion about a problem I had. One
of the replies was from a more experienced programmer than I was (or
even am). He posted a code snippet that was 90% the same as mine (of
course, the other 10% was where my error laid). That's when it hit me.
"Wow. I wrote a pretty good code after all".

Of course, other signs where like people actually answering to my
posts, asking more design problems than coding problems etc.

So, to make this post more like a survey.

Have you ever suddenly realized that you have become a pretty good
programmer? What triggered it? How did you feel?

Regards,
P. Peikidis