Coldfusion vs. Java

Discussion in 'Java' started by chris, Apr 16, 2006.

  1. chris

    chris Guest

    Hello,

    I don't mean to start any flames or such. I work at a company where I'm the
    only Java programmer and the rest are developing in CF. This is for inhouse
    intranet applications. Some of the management is trying to switch
    development over to Java. I was hired on and part of my job is to help
    transition them over. While I have nothing against CF, it appears that
    there is a huge resistance. I'm using Struts, JSP and Servlets. Here is
    what I'm faced with:

    "Coldfusion is compiled into Java anyways..."

    "Since it's so easy to develop applications in Coldfusion, why would we
    want to use something much more difficult to do the same thing."

    "You can't pass a recordset and display it. You have to create a bean."
    (Speaking of Struts)

    Well, anyone have any comments on these statements? I am the lone ranger
    here! :) I know about objected oriented programming and the performance of
    Java vs. CF, but those have failed to be convincing arguments.

    Thanks,

    Chris

    chris, Apr 16, 2006

  2. chris

    Chris Smith Guest

    chris <> wrote:
    > I don't mean to start any flames or such. I work at a company where I'm the
    > only Java programmer and the rest are developing in CF. This is for inhouse
    > intranet applications. Some of the management is trying to switch
    > development over to Java. I was hired on and part of my job is to help
    > transition them over. While I have nothing against CF, it appears that
    > there is a huge resistance. I'm using Struts, JSP and Servlets. Here is
    > what I'm faced with:

    What kind of application are you developing? Is it possible that the
    resisting programmers are right? If the application is a lot of front
    end and very little business logic, then you might justifiably have a
    hard time convincing anyone to switch. If they are not right, though,
    then you'll be able to find things that are very awkward or difficult in
    the existing CF application, and suggest alternatives.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, Apr 16, 2006

  3. chris wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I don't mean to start any flames or such. I work at a company where I'm the
    > only Java programmer and the rest are developing in CF. This is for inhouse
    > intranet applications. Some of the management is trying to switch
    > development over to Java. I was hired on and part of my job is to help
    > transition them over. While I have nothing against CF, it appears that
    > there is a huge resistance. I'm using Struts, JSP and Servlets. Here is
    > what I'm faced with:
    >
    > "Coldfusion is compiled into Java anyways..."
    >
    > "Since it's so easy to develop applications in Coldfusion, why would we
    > want to use something much more difficult to do the same thing."
    >
    > "You can't pass a recordset and display it. You have to create a bean."
    > (Speaking of Struts)
    >
    > Well, anyone have any comments on these statements? I am the lone ranger
    > here! :) I know about objected oriented programming and the performance of
    > Java vs. CF, but those have failed to be convincing arguments.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Chris

    Try to figure out which problems you think will be resolved by
    converting from CF to plain j2ee. What would the cost of training all
    the cf-developers in j2ee amount to?

    Jon Martin Solaas, Apr 17, 2006
  4. chris

    none Guest

    chris wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I don't mean to start any flames or such. I work at a company where I'm the
    > only Java programmer and the rest are developing in CF. This is for inhouse
    > intranet applications. Some of the management is trying to switch
    > development over to Java. I was hired on and part of my job is to help
    > transition them over. While I have nothing against CF, it appears that
    > there is a huge resistance. I'm using Struts, JSP and Servlets. Here is
    > what I'm faced with:
    >
    > "Coldfusion is compiled into Java anyways..."
    >
    > "Since it's so easy to develop applications in Coldfusion, why would we
    > want to use something much more difficult to do the same thing."
    >
    > "You can't pass a recordset and display it. You have to create a bean."
    > (Speaking of Struts)
    >
    > Well, anyone have any comments on these statements? I am the lone ranger
    > here! :) I know about objected oriented programming and the performance of
    > Java vs. CF, but those have failed to be convincing arguments.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Chris

    I had similar issues while working for a previous company. One of the
    main benefits of CF is it enables developers with little or no coding
    and design experience to create web applications quickly (Although the
    state of such applications is another matter). There is quite a steep
    learning curve for cf developers to move to j2ee if they have no java
    experience.
    There will be more work involved in creating a j2ee application, with
    more files to maintain and more time required for design and
    development. However, the benefits include (in my opinion) added
    flexibility, increased performance and a more scalable application.

    Why not try a compromise? perhaps running the front end of the app in CF
    and the business and data access tier in j2ee? It you have the
    enterprise CF server it fully supports a version of j2ee as it uses jrun.

    Tim

    none, Apr 17, 2006
  5. chris

    Guest

    Try a What's In It For Them approach. I don't mean necessarily what's
    good for the company. "Some managers" have already decided that, right
    or wrong, that's management's job so the CF programmers need to present
    their case to management not you. It is not your job to change
    management's mind so CF programmers are just griping. It is in your
    best interest to be sympathetic and understanding though.

    Back to What's In It for Them. Right or wrong, they will be getting
    Java training and Java job experience at the expense of the company.
    The company is willing to invest in their growth. That should be
    assuring to them. Otherwise, it sure won't hurt their resumes should
    somebody need one.

    Why do "some managers" want to make the change? They must have a
    business reason. They hate spending money unless there is some
    perceived return even if long term? And I'm almost certain that was
    presented already. What reasons do the CF programmers give for not
    buying the package as a whole? Sure they see downsides like perceived
    reduction in productivity, what did management present as advantages
    that the CF programmers don't think is worth it?

    , Apr 17, 2006
  6. On 2006-04-16, chris penned:

    > Well, anyone have any comments on these statements? I am the lone
    > ranger here! :) I know about objected oriented programming and the
    > performance of Java vs. CF, but those have failed to be convincing
    > arguments.

    If ColdFusion looks anything like it did the last time I used it, 5+
    years ago, the "demented HTML" syntax would be enough to drive me over
    the edge.

    So ugly.

    *shudders*

    *hides in a soft warm blankie and waits for the evil monster to go
    away*

    --
    monique

    Ask smart questions, get good answers: