Collaboration on the Stabilizer?

Amir Michail

Hi,

The Stabilizer is a system that helps users avoid bugs in GUI
applications. The key idea is to warn users about possibly buggy
actions and allow them to abort input events to avoid bugs.

Currently, the Stabilizer works with Java GUI applications.

We are looking for a collaboration with researchers who are expert in
low-level Linux issues including the X Window System and Java VM.

The point of such a collaboration would be to improve the Stabilizer's
bug prediction using lookahead. The idea here is that bug prediction
would be easier to do if we fork off a child process to see what sort
of execution would occur on an input event without actually committing
the parent to handling that input event (thus allowing us to abort the
input event if the child execution indicates that a bug is likely).

Please see:

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~stabilizer/
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~stabilizer/icse2005.pdf

The conclusions section of the paper discusses this idea of using
lookahead to improve bug prediction by forking off a child process on
every input event.

Please email (e-mail address removed) if you might be interested. We
have received some very interesting technical advice on how this
lookahead could be done under Linux that I can relay to you.

Amir