Collaboration on the Stabilizer?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Amir Michail, Feb 2, 2005.

  1. Amir  Michail

    Amir Michail Guest

    Hi,

    The Stabilizer is a system that helps users avoid bugs in GUI
    applications. The key idea is to warn users about possibly buggy
    actions and allow them to abort input events to avoid bugs.

    Currently, the Stabilizer works with Java GUI applications.

    We are looking for a collaboration with researchers who are expert in
    low-level Linux issues including the X Window System and Java VM.

    The point of such a collaboration would be to improve the Stabilizer's
    bug prediction using lookahead. The idea here is that bug prediction
    would be easier to do if we fork off a child process to see what sort
    of execution would occur on an input event without actually committing
    the parent to handling that input event (thus allowing us to abort the
    input event if the child execution indicates that a bug is likely).

    Please see:

    http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~stabilizer/
    http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~stabilizer/icse2005.pdf

    The conclusions section of the paper discusses this idea of using
    lookahead to improve bug prediction by forking off a child process on
    every input event.

    Please email if you might be interested. We
    have received some very interesting technical advice on how this
    lookahead could be done under Linux that I can relay to you.

    Amir
    Amir Michail, Feb 2, 2005