collapsible tables: how to hide table rows in that testcase (IE failsto render ok, Moz,Op fine)

Marek Mänd

Please explain to a experienced fool like me, how to hide table rows
correctly at this case.
http://marekmand.kuubik.ee/iebug_canthide_table_rows_properly.htm

Click on the header "label" and see how IE6 SP1 draws the borders
wrongly. How it can be patched?

Does that mean, that with the collapsed border table model one cannot
set the display of rows successfully with no side effects in IE6 SP1?

Please test it with older IEs if possible and say how it looks there.

Yann-Erwan Perio

Marek said:
Does that mean, that with the collapsed border table model one cannot
set the display of rows successfully with no side effects in IE6 SP1?

It seems so, IE's support for CSS table properties has always been very
limited, in your case the table-collapse:collapse makes it fail, I'm
afraid you'll have to stick to 'simpler' approaches.
Please test it with older IEs if possible and say how it looks there.

IE4 : obviously fails on the javascript,
IE5 : hides correctly, but doesn't want to show,
IE5.5 : hides correctly, but doesn't want to show,
IE6 : hides incorrectly, but shows correctly.

If your connection permits it, then you can download and run multiple
versions of IE by yourself:

<URL:http://www.quirksmode.org/browsers/multipleie.html>

Regards,
Yep.

Marek Mänd

It seems so, IE's support for CSS table properties has always been very
limited, in your case the table-collapse:collapse makes it fail, I'm
afraid you'll have to stick to 'simpler' approaches.

Thank you for your kind answer.
About table css support by IE is one thing that it is superior in, yet
that violates stoopid css2 spec - one can give paddings ans such to a
column, which other browserd dont support. I suspect the css2 spec was
written with so weak requierments just because of nobody expected to
implement such vital things as paddings on table columns.
If your connection permits it, then you can download and run multiple
versions of IE by yourself:
<URL:http://www.quirksmode.org/browsers/multipleie.html>

Thank you for the pointer, I am aware how to have many IEs on computer,
unfortunately I am recovering from surgery in bed and have borrowed
someone elses laptop for my amusement, so I amfraid I wont install the
other IEs.

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

Marek Mänd said:
Thank you for your kind answer.
About table css support by IE is one thing that it is superior in, yet
that violates stoopid css2 spec - one can give paddings ans such to a
column, which other browserd dont support. I suspect the css2 spec was
written with so weak requierments just because of nobody expected to
implement such vital things as paddings on table columns.

Or perhaps they expected browsers to support CSS 2 selectors, which would
allow:
tr > td + td + td { padding: 1em; }
tr > td + td + td + td { padding: inherit; }
for padding on the third column. However, six years after CSS 2 was
made a recommendation, IE still doesn't support large parts of it.

CSS 3 makes this even easier, but I doubt IE will ever support it.

/L

Marek Mänd

Or perhaps they expected browsers to support CSS 2 selectors,

I like that You are keeping replying to moron like me =D

Expectation is a mother for all the great fckuups.
which would allow:
tr > td + td + td { padding: 1em; }
tr > td + td + td + td { padding: inherit; }
for padding on the third column. However, six years after CSS 2 was
made a recommendation, IE still doesn't support large parts of it.

No it doesnt really do that.
What it says, is about consecutive elements.
Thus isnt about columns.
Tables are mostly about columnar data, records in rows.
Write those selectors for 10 column wide table (very few columns for a
scientific study results) and if You want to be very precise then also
the combinations for TH and TD and so on... How should I know in first
place how much columns table will have - I dont, in the era of document
scripting, which has very little relevance to this point. Then make from
all of those combinations huge section in stylesheet of bloat css code
for different medias too - print media is definately what you want to
style, projection maybe too. Now very funny, assume we got the word by
word W3C crap workin is some kind of 3lit3 browser (which renders it
useless).
Ok... got workin... hm OH NO!
OH NO, POOR ME! Mental orgasm. Now I have to have another kind of table
and third kind of styled table, sure our corporate site has lots of
kinds of tables,
not two or three... I like to write adjacent selectors... Power of
css... Sure our corporation that has a brandbook etc will throw the
human generations image away and make a webpage looking like w3.org.

Eventually all the companies on the world will look the same and have
same kind of homepages...- thought sleepy w3c comitee member without
having morning coffee that would make the world living worth...

And the bastardization because of the pussy/sissy weak rules on
inheritance on columns once years ago agreed on (probably because of the
laiziness and unwilligness to push such advanced, annoying but for the
web enironment vital specpoint saving the traffic) creates piles of
unmanagable crap, exactly the opposite situation to the css slogans of
ease of mods,write once, reuse, easy to share.
Which all should be made actually as a laughing testcase over the
efforts of css and designer whoever worked on it. Sure he had own
reasons, but why should on care about them - Web is about commerce for
now many many years. Commerce means prices, pricelists, all columnar
data. Web shouldnt depend on ones specwriters small or the other way
round - vicious - ego.

The old way to add paddings for "columns" is to create for each cell
extra 2 dummy cells around the cell with spacer gif in them.
Probably this is the safets way for the next 5 years after it itself
beeing practised for 8 years or maybe even more.

If You find me writings amusing (i intentionally use ranting style,
nobody wasnt to read boring facts) then bookrmark the main therad of
those and read those postings,
I have been asking for people to think very long time (well, the css2
was out in year 1999 late autumn when I first got computer internet
connection, but I am not blame for this that coulnt manage to save
humakind for the horrible works on css ;D )

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...&[email protected]#link17
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&[email protected]&rnum=6
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&[email protected]
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...43af6f&[email protected]#link1

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Marek said:
Lasse said:
Or perhaps they expected browsers to support CSS 2 selectors,

I like that You are keeping replying to moron like me =D

Expectation is a mother for all the great f[...].
which would allow:
tr > td + td + td { padding: 1em; }
tr > td + td + td + td { padding: inherit; }
for padding on the third column. However, six years after CSS 2 was
made a recommendation, IE still doesn't support large parts of it.

No it doesnt really do that.
What it says, is about consecutive elements.

Which are columns if it comes to TD and TH elements as
those elements must not have other siblings than TD and TH.
Write those selectors for 10 column wide table (very few columns for a
scientific study results) and if You want to be very precise then also
the combinations for TH and TD and so on... How should I know in first
place how much columns table will have - I dont, in the era of document
scripting, which has very little relevance to this point.

In the era of document scripting, you could both determine the maximum
number of child elements of a TR element to retrieve the number of
columns and use loops and DOM methods to define proper CSS rules.

However, if the COL element would be widely supported, that would
be the one element to play with when it comes to table columns.
Ok... got workin... hm OH NO!
OH NO, POOR ME! Mental orgasm. [...]

I would be thankful if you would be less verbose in your Usenet postings
and would improve your wording a little bit, especially when it comes to
style. You are often merely expressing your thoughts, however Usenet is
for discussion, it is not for sermons and it is clearly not for rants.

Regards,

PointedEars