Collecting snmp data - threads, processes, twisted?

Antal Rutz

Hi all,

I'd like to collect snmp data from varoius network devices parallel.

First I tried with my own threadpool class then I gave a try
to Christopher Arndt's threadpool.py
(http://chrisarndt.de/en/software/python/threadpool.html).

I got the same result: with one thread it finished about 2 mins
with more threads it needed more and more time.

Maybe I ran into the situation where threads aren't the best.
I use yapsnmp (fair easy to 'snmpwalk') for collecting.
it uses net-snmp.

Could you give me some advice how can I make my script really parallel?

My options maybe:
1. pySNMP (as it's full in python)
2. subprocess (I'd like to make (find) a solution as threadpool.py)
(running yapsnmp, pySNMP or even net-snmp?...)
3. TwistedSNMP (seems too weird for me.. cannot imagine a simple
solution for my problem)
4. ...

thanks for your help