Colors appearing differnet in IE, FireFox, Safari?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mark B, Feb 7, 2010.

  1. Mark B

    Mark B Guest

    At www.gertes.com, I have a blue background. I also have a gradient blue
    that at the bottom that merges smoothly into the blue background color.

    It works fine on IE but on Firefox and Safari, the color doesn't merge
    smoothly -- it shows a hard blue edge. Anyone know why?
    Mark B, Feb 7, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On Feb 7, 10:14 pm, "Mark B" <> wrote:
    > Atwww.gertes.com, I have a blue background. I also have a gradient blue
    > that at the bottom that merges smoothly into the blue background color.
    >
    > It works fine on IE but on Firefox and Safari, the color doesn't merge
    > smoothly -- it shows a hard blue edge. Anyone know why?


    The problem here is that IE renders PNG differently as Firefox and
    Safari. It looks like PNGs appear darker in IE and that's why you see
    dark blue in other browsers. I would suggest either save
    page_background.png as GIF and change bgcolor to #013E6D, or use
    different CSS for Firefox and other browsers.
    Alexey Smirnov, Feb 7, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Mark B

    Mark B Guest

    Thanks. Any downside to GIF here? Loss of clarity?


    "Alexey Smirnov" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    On Feb 7, 10:14 pm, "Mark B" <> wrote:
    > Atwww.gertes.com, I have a blue background. I also have a gradient blue
    > that at the bottom that merges smoothly into the blue background color.
    >
    > It works fine on IE but on Firefox and Safari, the color doesn't merge
    > smoothly -- it shows a hard blue edge. Anyone know why?


    The problem here is that IE renders PNG differently as Firefox and
    Safari. It looks like PNGs appear darker in IE and that's why you see
    dark blue in other browsers. I would suggest either save
    page_background.png as GIF and change bgcolor to #013E6D, or use
    different CSS for Firefox and other browsers.
    Mark B, Feb 7, 2010
    #3
  4. Mark B

    Scott M. Guest

    Just apply the IE .PNG fix for IE to any page that you wish to use .PNG
    files on:

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/

    -Scott


    "Alexey Smirnov" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    On Feb 7, 10:14 pm, "Mark B" <> wrote:
    > Atwww.gertes.com, I have a blue background. I also have a gradient blue
    > that at the bottom that merges smoothly into the blue background color.
    >
    > It works fine on IE but on Firefox and Safari, the color doesn't merge
    > smoothly -- it shows a hard blue edge. Anyone know why?


    The problem here is that IE renders PNG differently as Firefox and
    Safari. It looks like PNGs appear darker in IE and that's why you see
    dark blue in other browsers. I would suggest either save
    page_background.png as GIF and change bgcolor to #013E6D, or use
    different CSS for Firefox and other browsers.
    Scott M., Feb 8, 2010
    #4
  5. Mark B

    Mark B Guest

    Thanks. All changed and tested OK. I ended up using #034B7A.

    I converted the PNG to GIF with 192 colors using
    http://tools.dynamicdrive.com/imageoptimizer/index.php

    I only have IE7 here. If someone has IE8 and wants to let me know if the
    gradient merge doesn't appear smooth on
    http://www.gertes.com/pages/about/what_is/default.aspx I'd appreciate it.


    "Alexey Smirnov" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    On Feb 7, 10:14 pm, "Mark B" <> wrote:
    > Atwww.gertes.com, I have a blue background. I also have a gradient blue
    > that at the bottom that merges smoothly into the blue background color.
    >
    > It works fine on IE but on Firefox and Safari, the color doesn't merge
    > smoothly -- it shows a hard blue edge. Anyone know why?


    The problem here is that IE renders PNG differently as Firefox and
    Safari. It looks like PNGs appear darker in IE and that's why you see
    dark blue in other browsers. I would suggest either save
    page_background.png as GIF and change bgcolor to #013E6D, or use
    different CSS for Firefox and other browsers.
    Mark B, Feb 8, 2010
    #5
  6. On Feb 7, 11:09 pm, "Mark B" <> wrote:
    > Thanks. Any downside to GIF here? Loss of clarity?
    >


    In general, gif result with less quality. In your case, it's not a
    high quality picture, so I think gif should be okay. I tested it
    myself and it looks ok to me in both browsers. Note, I mentioned other
    color. This is because gif will be not that dark as png in IE.
    Alexey Smirnov, Feb 8, 2010
    #6
  7. On Feb 8, 2:36 am, "Mark B" <> wrote:
    > Thanks. All changed and tested OK. I ended up using #034B7A.
    >
    > I converted the PNG to GIF with 192 colors usinghttp://tools.dynamicdrive..com/imageoptimizer/index.php
    >
    > I only have IE7 here. If someone has IE8 and wants to let me know if the
    > gradient merge doesn't appear smooth onhttp://www.gertes.com/pages/about/what_is/default.aspxI'd appreciate it.
    >
    > "Alexey Smirnov" <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:...
    > On Feb 7, 10:14 pm, "Mark B" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Atwww.gertes.com, I have a blue background. I also have a gradient blue
    > > that at the bottom that merges smoothly into the blue background color.

    >
    > > It works fine on IE but on Firefox and Safari, the color doesn't merge
    > > smoothly -- it shows a hard blue edge. Anyone know why?

    >
    > The problem here is that IE renders PNG differently as Firefox and
    > Safari. It looks like PNGs appear darker in IE and that's why you see
    > dark blue in other browsers. I would suggest either save
    > page_background.png as GIF and change bgcolor to #013E6D, or use
    > different CSS for Firefox and other browsers.


    It's working well now! The only thing I can tell is that transition
    inside picture is not smooth. Maybe you can play with it a little bit
    and try to save with more colors if it's critical for you. In other
    case, the problem has been solved and I see no bottom "border" as it
    was yesterday.

    IE8 - ok
    Safari4 - ok
    FF3.5 - ok
    Chrom4 - ok
    Alexey Smirnov, Feb 8, 2010
    #7
  8. On Feb 8, 1:50 am, "Scott M." <> wrote:
    > Just apply the IE .PNG fix for IE to any page that you wish to use .PNG
    > files on:
    >
    > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/
    >
    > -Scott
    >
    > "Alexey Smirnov" <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:...
    > On Feb 7, 10:14 pm, "Mark B" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Atwww.gertes.com, I have a blue background. I also have a gradient blue
    > > that at the bottom that merges smoothly into the blue background color.

    >
    > > It works fine on IE but on Firefox and Safari, the color doesn't merge
    > > smoothly -- it shows a hard blue edge. Anyone know why?

    >
    > The problem here is that IE renders PNG differently as Firefox and
    > Safari. It looks like PNGs appear darker in IE and that's why you see
    > dark blue in other browsers. I would suggest either save
    > page_background.png as GIF and change bgcolor to #013E6D, or use
    > different CSS for Firefox and other browsers.


    Scott,

    the link says it's all about background transparency for IE v.5.5 and
    6 only, which is not the case here. The problem here was that IE (up
    to v.8) shows PNGs darker as in FF or Safari. There was no
    transparency used.
    Alexey Smirnov, Feb 8, 2010
    #8
  9. Mark B

    Mark B Guest

    Yes thanks very much again.

    I tried with 256 color gif and also 192 color. I decided on 192 as 256 had
    one not-so-smooth area but 192 had a couple of such areas and as such looked
    more uniform. Anyway I think it will be OK.

    I got the new back color by opening the gif in MSPaint, Zooming to 800% then
    color-picking the bottom pixel line.

    >>


    It's working well now! The only thing I can tell is that transition
    inside picture is not smooth. Maybe you can play with it a little bit
    and try to save with more colors if it's critical for you. In other
    case, the problem has been solved and I see no bottom "border" as it
    was yesterday.

    IE8 - ok
    Safari4 - ok
    FF3.5 - ok
    Chrom4 - ok
    Mark B, Feb 8, 2010
    #9
  10. On Feb 8, 9:37 am, "Mark B" <> wrote:
    > Yes thanks very much again.
    >
    > I tried with 256 color gif and also 192 color. I decided on 192 as 256 had
    > one not-so-smooth area but 192 had a couple of such areas and as such looked
    > more uniform. Anyway I think it will be OK.
    >
    > I got the new back color by opening the gif in MSPaint, Zooming to 800% then
    > color-picking the bottom pixel line.
    >
    >
    >
    > It's working well now! The only thing I can tell is that transition
    > inside picture is not smooth. Maybe you can play with it a little bit
    > and try to save with more colors if it's critical for you. In other
    > case, the problem has been solved and I see no bottom "border" as it
    > was yesterday.
    >
    > IE8 - ok
    > Safari4 - ok
    > FF3.5 - ok
    > Chrom4 - ok


    Glad, that it works now
    Cheers!
    Alexey Smirnov, Feb 8, 2010
    #10
  11. Mark B

    Scott M. Guest

    Hi Alexey,

    I believe this is part of the same issue. Applying the patch for the
    well-known bug should correct the problem.

    -Scott

    "Alexey Smirnov" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    On Feb 8, 1:50 am, "Scott M." <> wrote:
    > Just apply the IE .PNG fix for IE to any page that you wish to use .PNG
    > files on:
    >
    > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/
    >
    > -Scott
    >
    > "Alexey Smirnov" <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:...
    > On Feb 7, 10:14 pm, "Mark B" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Atwww.gertes.com, I have a blue background. I also have a gradient blue
    > > that at the bottom that merges smoothly into the blue background color.

    >
    > > It works fine on IE but on Firefox and Safari, the color doesn't merge
    > > smoothly -- it shows a hard blue edge. Anyone know why?

    >
    > The problem here is that IE renders PNG differently as Firefox and
    > Safari. It looks like PNGs appear darker in IE and that's why you see
    > dark blue in other browsers. I would suggest either save
    > page_background.png as GIF and change bgcolor to #013E6D, or use
    > different CSS for Firefox and other browsers.


    Scott,

    the link says it's all about background transparency for IE v.5.5 and
    6 only, which is not the case here. The problem here was that IE (up
    to v.8) shows PNGs darker as in FF or Safari. There was no
    transparency used.
    Scott M., Feb 8, 2010
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Darren Clark

    .net ddls'' in differnet directories?

    Darren Clark, Aug 19, 2003, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    2,234
    Richard Grimes [MVP]
    Sep 3, 2003
  2. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mattias_Br=E4ndstr=F6m?=

    Two pointers to the same obejct, two differnet values...

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mattias_Br=E4ndstr=F6m?=, Dec 18, 2003, in forum: C++
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    286
    Jumbo
    Dec 18, 2003
  3. alf
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    315
    Steve Holden
    Nov 2, 2006
  4. AAaron123

    TreeNode colors come from anchor colors

    AAaron123, Aug 7, 2008, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    535
    darrel
    Aug 7, 2008
  5. ZelluX
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,878
    Peter Otten
    Dec 1, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page