COM, again

Discussion in 'Java' started by Stefan Ram, Dec 11, 2011.

  1. Stefan Ram

    Stefan Ram Guest

    To communicate with an externally-supplied Microsoft®
    COM component, there are several options:

    - Jacob

    - Jawin

    - org.eclipse.swt.ole.win32

    - JNI and custom code

    - Win32 interface code (C, C++) communicating with
    the COM-component via COM and with the
    Java application via another interface (see below)

    - .net interface code (C#), instead

    - something else?

    »Another interface« might be

    - a socket

    - a database

    - the filesystem

    - Runtime.getRuntime().exec( "cominterface command" )
    (doing this for every COM call)

    - something else

    I have heard that some people had some difficulties with
    Jacob/Jawin, e.g., when using COM events IIRC. Does anyone
    know anything about the current (that is, 2011) state of
    these projects or similar projects, e.g., whether some of
    them are still well-maintained? Or whether one of them today
    is clearly better or more field-tested than the other?
    Or is known to be relativly bug-ridden or bug-free?

    Yes, I could as well write the whole application in C++ or
    C#, but I prefer Java for most of the application, but need
    to access an externally-supplied COM component.

    Stefan Ram, Dec 11, 2011