COM error in IIS7

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Norm, Jan 17, 2008.

  1. Norm

    Norm Guest

    I have a few web sites running in IIS7 on Windows Server 2008 RC1 (I
    think its RC1, build number is 6001). These websites are constantly
    throwing the below error, and I cannot figure it out. Can anyone shed
    some light on this?

    Error: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800703E3): The I/
    O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an
    application request. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800703E3)
    at
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32
    errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
    at System.Web.Hosting.IIS7WorkerRequest.ReadEntityCoreSync(Byte[]
    buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
    at System.Web.Hosting.IIS7WorkerRequest.ReadEntityBody(Byte[]
    buffer, Int32 size)
    at System.Web.HttpRequest.GetEntireRawContent()
    at System.Web.HttpRequest.FillInFormCollection()
    at System.Web.HttpRequest.get_Form()
    at System.Web.HttpRequest.get_HasForm()
    at System.Web.UI.Page.GetCollectionBasedOnMethod(Boolean
    dontReturnNull)
    at System.Web.UI.Page.DeterminePostBackMode()

    Norm, Jan 17, 2008

  2. I've not seen this before. What is your application doing with COM? It may
    help shed some light. Also, have a look at the eventvwr log to see if there
    are further details.

    --

    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]

    [Shameless Author plug]
    The O.W.C. Black Book, 2nd Edition
    Exclusively on www.lulu.com/owc $19.99

    Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP], Jan 17, 2008

  3. Norm

    Norm Guest

    The application does not use any COM objects. It only uses the .net
    2.0 framework. It seems to me that IIS7 is using some COM objects
    internally. My guess is that System.Web.Hosting.IIS7WorkerRequest
    inherits System.Web.HttpWorkerRequest and ReadEntityCoreSync() is a
    private method that is called by IIS7WorkerRequests implementation of
    the ReadEntityBody() method. I think that it is a problem retrieving
    the post variables from some underlying COM object. Notice the
    "System.Web.HttpRequest.get_Form()" in the call stack. Here are some
    links to how I got to this conclusion (I have been working on this
    since after my first post):

    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.httpworkerrequest.aspx
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.httpworkerrequest.readentitybody.aspx

    Also, here is an error log entry:

    - System
    - Provider
    [ Name] ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0
    - EventID 1309
    [ Qualifiers] 32768
    Level 3
    Task 3
    Keywords 0x80000000000000
    - TimeCreated
    [ SystemTime] 2008-01-17T23:04:15.000Z
    EventRecordID 7462
    Channel Application
    Computer ********
    Security
    - EventData
    3005
    An unhandled exception has occurred.
    1/17/2008 3:04:15 PM
    1/17/2008 11:04:15 PM
    9187dd406b71470e8395bc78ab61a833
    /LM/W3SVC/12/ROOT-6-128450243044816020
    Full
    /
    D:\Websites\********** (folder)
    ************** (machine name)
    1776
    w3wp.exe
    **************** (identity)
    COMException
    The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit
    or an application request. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800703E3)
    http://www.acpartshouse.com/default.aspx
    /default.aspx
    **************** (ip)
    False
    **************** (identity)
    59
    **************** (identity)
    False
    at
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32
    errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo) at
    System.Web.Hosting.IIS7WorkerRequest.ReadEntityCoreSync(Byte[] buffer,
    Int32 offset, Int32 size) at
    System.Web.Hosting.IIS7WorkerRequest.ReadEntityBody(Byte[] buffer,
    Int32 size) at System.Web.HttpRequest.GetEntireRawContent() at
    System.Web.HttpRequest.FillInFormCollection() at
    System.Web.HttpRequest.get_Form() at
    System.Web.HttpRequest.get_HasForm() at
    System.Web.UI.Page.GetCollectionBasedOnMethod(Boolean dontReturnNull)
    at System.Web.UI.Page.DeterminePostBackMode() at

    Thanks for helping me out with this. Even a little nudge in the right
    direction would be helpful.

    Norm

    Norm, Jan 18, 2008
  4. Norm

    bruce barker Guest

    most likely the sender (browser) is closing the connection early (aborting
    the post). if this happens a lot, a network trace may give a hint.

    are you pages heavy (large viewstate)?

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Jan 18, 2008
  5. Norm

    Norm Guest

    Thanks for the help Bruce. Its because of how often that it is
    happening that I did not think that was the case. I will have to
    verify that via a trace like you said. And yes, the pages are pretty
    heavy. Viewstate is approaching 100KB (ick I know, we are cutting down
    on this). The total HTML source is about 275KB. (Ugh that ratio is
    horrible) But I'm confused as to how viewstate has an affect on this.
    Are you talking client-side download/render time? Or is it something
    else that a large viewstate can mess up?

    Norm, Jan 18, 2008
  6. Norm

    Norm Guest

    Bruce,
    I actually verified this pretty quickly by just testing and canceling
    the post a couple of times. The error happened if I waited a bit then
    canceled the post, much like a user would if they were sick of
    waiting. The amount of these errors means that we are really pissing
    people off! I'm going to work on cutting down the viewstate
    immediately.

    A note to everyone: Do not use webcontrols for static content without
    setting EnableViewState to false!

    Alvin, thanks to you too. Now you have seen this before!

    Norm

    Norm, Jan 18, 2008
  7. Good call Bruce.

    Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP], Jan 19, 2008