COM error in IIS7

Norm

I have a few web sites running in IIS7 on Windows Server 2008 RC1 (I
think its RC1, build number is 6001). These websites are constantly
throwing the below error, and I cannot figure it out. Can anyone shed
some light on this?

Error: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800703E3): The I/
O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an
application request. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800703E3)
at
System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32
errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
at System.Web.Hosting.IIS7WorkerRequest.ReadEntityCoreSync(Byte[]
buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
at System.Web.Hosting.IIS7WorkerRequest.ReadEntityBody(Byte[]
buffer, Int32 size)
at System.Web.HttpRequest.GetEntireRawContent()
at System.Web.HttpRequest.FillInFormCollection()
at System.Web.HttpRequest.get_Form()
at System.Web.HttpRequest.get_HasForm()
at System.Web.UI.Page.GetCollectionBasedOnMethod(Boolean
dontReturnNull)
at System.Web.UI.Page.DeterminePostBackMode()

Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]

I've not seen this before. What is your application doing with COM? It may
help shed some light. Also, have a look at the eventvwr log to see if there
are further details.

--

Regards,
Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]

[Shameless Author plug]
The O.W.C. Black Book, 2nd Edition
Exclusively on www.lulu.com/owc $19.99

Norm

The application does not use any COM objects. It only uses the .net
2.0 framework. It seems to me that IIS7 is using some COM objects
internally. My guess is that System.Web.Hosting.IIS7WorkerRequest
inherits System.Web.HttpWorkerRequest and ReadEntityCoreSync() is a
private method that is called by IIS7WorkerRequests implementation of
the ReadEntityBody() method. I think that it is a problem retrieving
the post variables from some underlying COM object. Notice the
"System.Web.HttpRequest.get_Form()" in the call stack. Here are some
links to how I got to this conclusion (I have been working on this
since after my first post):

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.httpworkerrequest.aspx
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.httpworkerrequest.readentitybody.aspx

Also, here is an error log entry:

- System
- Provider
[ Name] ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0
- EventID 1309
[ Qualifiers] 32768
Level 3
Task 3
Keywords 0x80000000000000
- TimeCreated
[ SystemTime] 2008-01-17T23:04:15.000Z
EventRecordID 7462
Channel Application
Computer ********
Security
- EventData
3005
An unhandled exception has occurred.
1/17/2008 3:04:15 PM
1/17/2008 11:04:15 PM
9187dd406b71470e8395bc78ab61a833
282
15
0
/LM/W3SVC/12/ROOT-6-128450243044816020
Full
/
D:\Websites\********** (folder)
************** (machine name)
1776
w3wp.exe
**************** (identity)
COMException
The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit
or an application request. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800703E3)
http://www.acpartshouse.com/default.aspx
/default.aspx
**************** (ip)
False
**************** (identity)
59
**************** (identity)
False
at
System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32
errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo) at
System.Web.Hosting.IIS7WorkerRequest.ReadEntityCoreSync(Byte[] buffer,
Int32 offset, Int32 size) at
System.Web.Hosting.IIS7WorkerRequest.ReadEntityBody(Byte[] buffer,
Int32 size) at System.Web.HttpRequest.GetEntireRawContent() at
System.Web.HttpRequest.FillInFormCollection() at
System.Web.HttpRequest.get_Form() at
System.Web.HttpRequest.get_HasForm() at
System.Web.UI.Page.GetCollectionBasedOnMethod(Boolean dontReturnNull)
at System.Web.UI.Page.DeterminePostBackMode() at

Thanks for helping me out with this. Even a little nudge in the right
direction would be helpful.

Norm

[...]

includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)- Hide quoted text -

bruce barker

most likely the sender (browser) is closing the connection early (aborting
the post). if this happens a lot, a network trace may give a hint.

are you pages heavy (large viewstate)?

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Norm said:
[...]

Thanks for the help Bruce. Its because of how often that it is
happening that I did not think that was the case. I will have to
verify that via a trace like you said. And yes, the pages are pretty
heavy. Viewstate is approaching 100KB (ick I know, we are cutting down
on this). The total HTML source is about 275KB. (Ugh that ratio is
horrible) But I'm confused as to how viewstate has an affect on this.
Are you talking client-side download/render time? Or is it something
else that a large viewstate can mess up?

Norm said:
[...]

Bruce,
I actually verified this pretty quickly by just testing and canceling
the post a couple of times. The error happened if I waited a bit then
canceled the post, much like a user would if they were sick of
waiting. The amount of these errors means that we are really pissing
people off! I'm going to work on cutting down the viewstate
immediately.

A note to everyone: Do not use webcontrols for static content without
setting EnableViewState to false!

Alvin, thanks to you too. Now you have seen this before!

On Jan 17, 3:43 pm, "Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]" <www.lulu.com/owc>
wrote:
[...]

Good call Bruce.