Com Events in ASP.Net

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by DBS, Jun 25, 2009.

  1. DBS

    DBS Guest

    Short: I'm trying to create an ASP.Net application that has to
    communicate with a VB6 ocx.

    Info: Microsoft POS for .NET (MSPOS) is a "universal" interface for
    talking to various types of hardware associated with cash registers.
    It provides one interface for me to communicate with and it handles
    talking to the hardware divers; allowing me to make one interface that
    works on many devices. Some of these devices provide VB6 ocxs which
    MSPOS supports.

    Long: I have written a DLL in C# to sit on top of MSPOS to make it
    easier for other developers in my company to access the functionality
    (MSPOS's interface is quite large). One of the devices we use, a
    display, is not supported in MSPOS so I drive it directly in my DLL.
    The display has a VB6 ocx interface which I am hosting on a 'dead'
    form in my DLL (just never displayed). When using a standard forms
    application to talk to my DLL everything work beautifully. When the
    ASP application accesses the DLL it's met with varying levels of
    success.

    What I've done:
    1st: Before I found out that .Net didn't like com I just instantiated
    everything as normal, the ASP app would crash when trying to access
    the display. I subsequently discovered the joy that is STA/MTA.

    2nd: In the ASP app I created a STA thread which maintains the display
    objects. This mostly worked but required a restart of the app at the
    end of the transaction. The display is on the same physical piece of
    hardware as another device we use (driven by MSPOS) and likely has a
    common com DLL at the hardware level below the ocx I'm using and below
    MSPOS. When the 2nd transaction would come in opening the other
    device would fail.

    3rd: I tried completely closing my display thread after each trans and
    reopening on the next one. This would consistently fail to open on
    the second run. I tried a number of things to get it to release the
    com stuff from memory but nothing but restarting the whole app would
    clear it. (After talking to one of the senior guys in the company I
    discovered that when dealing with com/interop disposal isn't always
    reliable)

    4th(current state): I am attempting to move all the hardware devices
    into the STA thread inside the ASP app so they all will always be
    accessed by the same thread for the life of the app. Currently I am
    testing with only one logical device (driven by MSPOS). I have 2
    different physical devices, one has a true MSPOS driver (made in .Net)
    and the other uses the MSPOS VB6 legacy interface. The .Net device
    works perfectly. The ocx device is responding to commands but does
    not fire back events as it should. The hardware acknowledges my input
    (it beeps) but no event is fired.

    In between each of these steps I've spent long hours trolling MSDN and
    Google and am now at a dead end. The only place I can think to go to
    from here is to create a completely separate app out of ASP that would
    service the HW. Or to drop MSPOS from this device and drive the
    device directly, not guaranteed to work and deviating from the
    universal 'write once' interface. Obviously neither of these are
    good options.

    Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
    DBS, Jun 25, 2009

  2. DBS

    DBS Guest

    Used a MS support incident. Useing winforms with and OCX or POS
    for .Net in an ASP envrionment are not supported.
    DBS, Jul 16, 2009