COM Identities in ASP.NET

Corey Ellsworth

I have an out-of-process COM component referenced in a ASP.NET Web service
application. I am trying to access files with this COM object on a network
share that has limited user access. I am finding that the COM component
cannot access these files, even when I set the ASP.NET application to run
under an impersonated account that has access to the share. What do I need
to do in either the ASP.NET Web service's Web.config file or the
machine.config file to get the COM component to run under an account with
sufficient access privileges? Thanks for the help.

Bruce Barker

host it in com+ if you can. otherwise you need to change the account aps.net
runs under (machine.config), as any out-of-process componets run under the
process account not thread.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Corey Ellsworth

Setting the account in the machine.config file will mean that all ASP.NET
processes will run under that account, correct?

The COM component that I'm working with is a 3rd party component. I don't
have the source. Is it possible to host a COM component as a COM+ component
and if so, how? If not, is it possible to write a COM+ wrapper for this COM
component to accomplish what you have suggested? As you might guess, I have
limited knowledge of COM+ so any good references will be greatly
appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Corey

Paul Clement

¤ I have an out-of-process COM component referenced in a ASP.NET Web service
¤ application. I am trying to access files with this COM object on a network
¤ share that has limited user access. I am finding that the COM component
¤ cannot access these files, even when I set the ASP.NET application to run
¤ under an impersonated account that has access to the share. What do I need
¤ to do in either the ASP.NET Web service's Web.config file or the
¤ machine.config file to get the COM component to run under an account with
¤ sufficient access privileges? Thanks for the help.

Sounds like it's probably a delegation problem as credentials are not being passed when accessing
the remote resource. Which level of authentication is being used for your ASP.NET application?

AFAIK, you can't host a COM EXE in COM+.

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)