    where it may be?

    Thanks!
    Tyler Allbritton

    =?Utf-8?B?VHlsZXIgQWxsYnJpdHRvbg==?=, Apr 10, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?VHlsZXIgQWxsYnJpdHRvbg==?=

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Tyler Allbritton" <> wrote in message
    news:D...

    > I have a basic web app that is using Word (I know, big no no)

    Hmm - just to be clear, you already *know* that what you're doing is a "big
    no no", and now you're wondering why it doesn't work...?

    > I assume I have some DCOM or other security issue.

    Who knows - it could be any number of things...

    The simple fact is that server-side Office automation is not supported by
    Microsoft because it's not designed to work this way:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q257757#kb2

    Use this instead: http://www.aspose.com/Products/Aspose.Words

    Mark Rae, Apr 10, 2007

  3. Mark - Thanks for the comment.

    If anyone is interested in an actual solution though, Word and other Office
    apps need to run under normal user accounts as opposed to a built-in accounts
    like LOCAL SERVICE. This is why it worked when I was logged in, but not
    remotely. Microsoft outlines how to do this specifically for Office/COM here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/288367.

    In my case I set the Idenity for Word to the new OfficeAutomationUser
    account via DCOMCNFG. It works great!

    =?Utf-8?B?VHlsZXIgQWxsYnJpdHRvbg==?=, Apr 10, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?VHlsZXIgQWxsYnJpdHRvbg==?=

    > If anyone is interested in an actual solution though, Word and other
    > Office
    > apps need to run under normal user accounts as opposed to a built-in
    > accounts
    > like LOCAL SERVICE. This is why it worked when I was logged in, but not
    > remotely. Microsoft outlines how to do this specifically for Office/COM
    > here:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/288367.

    Sigh... Did you actually *read* that article...? Specifically, the bits
    saying things like "We do not recommend or support...", "...risky and
    unstable...", "stop responding (hang)", "...corrupt data...", "...crash the
    calling process...", "...bring down your Web server...", "Office was not
    designed, and is not safe, for unattended execution on a server. Developers
    who use Office in this manner do so at their own risk."

    Etc.

    > In my case I set the Idenity for Word to the new OfficeAutomationUser
    > account via DCOMCNFG. It works great!

    Best of luck - you're really going to need it!

    Mark Rae, Apr 10, 2007