  1. I have compiled code that populates data from sql database into an excel document on the client. When moving code to the web server and running it, I get an error COM object with CLSID {00024500-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} is either not valid or not registered. Excel is not installed on the web server. Is there any way to get around doing that? I have moved Interop.Excel.dll to the web server, but I guess since it's not truly registered and only referenced by code it will not work

    Thanks for any help

    Joel
    =?Utf-8?B?SlJPQ2FtYXJv?=, Apr 6, 2004

  2. Your Interop class is simply a wrapper for the COM object. If the COM object
    is not installed, well...

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Apr 6, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?SlJPQ2FtYXJv?=

    anon Guest

    I have the same issue, the com dll is registered and tried running the
    app with dll at diff locations, in bin, in winnt\system32 but both donot
    seem to matter and i still get this exact same error....???

    anon, Apr 6, 2004
  4. COM DLLs are registered in the System Registry according to their location.
    You don't want to put the COM dll into your bin folder or anywhere else that
    is not the location recorded in the System registry. That is how COM locates
    DLLs. Only your Interop Assembly should be in the bin folder. That's how
    ..Net locates assemblies.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Apr 6, 2004
  5. =?Utf-8?B?SlJPQ2FtYXJv?=

    anon Guest

    Thanks Kevin !

    So C:\WINNT\system32 should have the dll, is that correct?
    Also, I am using OWC in my code, but could not find an OWC.DLL on my
    machine to place on the server, is it MSOWC.DLL?Can i use OWC10.DLL
    instead?

    Thanks again for your response.

    anon, Apr 6, 2004
  6. > So C:\WINNT\system32 should have the dll, is that correct?

    I can't tell you where the COM DLL should be. It can be registered from any
    location on the machine. If that is where it was registered in the System
    Registry, that's where it should be.

    If you're asking about deploying the DLL to the server, well, first of all,
    that would be, in the case of an Office DLL, a violation of the Licensing
    agreement. If you want to use an Office COM object, I believe you would have
    to install a licensed copy of Office on the server. Of course, this also
    makes the location of the DLLs a moot point, as they will be installed where
    Office thinks they should be.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Apr 7, 2004
  7. =?Utf-8?B?SlJPQ2FtYXJv?=

    anon Guest

    Thanks Kevin, will install Office and check....

    anon, Apr 7, 2004