    Thanks in advance for all the answers.

    Divan

    , Jun 16, 2005

  2. Andrew Thompson, Jun 16, 2005

  3. Aquila Deus Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > On 16 Jun 2005 08:11:03 -0700, wrote:
    >
    > > I didn't find much information about building COM objects ..

    > What's a 'COM object'?

    like CORBA, but windows-specific.

    If he really wants COM, it's better to use .NET.

    Aquila Deus, Jun 16, 2005

    I mean a Component Object Model. Something which has been called a long
    ago, apparently, ActiveX and OLE by Microsoft. It is supposed to be
    interfaced objects, registered on a computer, with which other
    applications can interact. I say "supposed" because I am new at this
    and it is my actual understanding of it...

    , Jun 16, 2005
  5. Aquila Deus Guest

    wrote:
    > I mean a Component Object Model. Something which has been called a long
    > ago, apparently, ActiveX and OLE by Microsoft. It is supposed to be
    > interfaced objects, registered on a computer, with which other
    > applications can interact. I say "supposed" because I am new at this
    > and it is my actual understanding of it...

    COM was supported by M$'s own java implmentation many years ago, but
    not anymore.

    If you're looking for similiar tech, CORBA may be a good choice.

    Aquila Deus, Jun 16, 2005

    Ok, that explains why I didn't find much on the subject. I will read
    about CORBA. Thanks for your help.

    , Jun 16, 2005
  7. Roland Guest

    On 16-6-2005 17:11, wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I didn't find much information about building COM objects in Java. I
    > just found few links talking about the MS javareg utility. Am I missing
    > something obvious like "COM objects are contrary to the Java
    > philosophy" or "Java does it differently and call it X"? It could be
    > the case since I am not an advanced Java programmer and I want to write
    > a COM object for the first time.
    >
    > Hence, feel free (of course!) to answer one or more of my following
    > questions:
    >
    > a) Are COM objects implementable with Java?
    > b) Is there an online tutorial I could read?
    > c) Is there a book I could read (I already have "Essential COM")?.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for all the answers.
    >
    > Divan

    There's the "ActiveX Bridge" which supposedly allows a JavaBean
    component to be packaged as an ActiveX control (I've never used it, so I
    don't know if and how well it works).
    <http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/beans/axbridge/developerguide/index.html>
    --
    Regards,

    Roland de Ruiter
    ` ___ ___
    `/__/ w_/ /__/
    / \ /_/ / \

    Roland, Jun 16, 2005
  8. Paul Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I mean a Component Object Model. Something which has been called a long
    > ago, apparently, ActiveX and OLE by Microsoft. It is supposed to be
    > interfaced objects, registered on a computer, with which other
    > applications can interact. I say "supposed" because I am new at this
    > and it is my actual understanding of it...

    I have used a package called Jacob which allows Java classes to access COM
    objects on Windows. I don't think there is a (nice) way to set up a pure
    Java program as a COM object. The platform-specific nature of it is contrary
    to Java's platform independence.

    --Paul

    Paul, Jun 16, 2005
  9. Alan Krueger Guest

    wrote:
    > I didn't find much information about building COM objects in Java. I
    > just found few links talking about the MS javareg utility. Am I missing
    > something obvious like "COM objects are contrary to the Java
    > philosophy" or "Java does it differently and call it X"? It could be
    > the case since I am not an advanced Java programmer and I want to write
    > a COM object for the first time.

    Java doesn't natively support building COM objects. COM is a binary
    compatibility standard, and Java builds bytecode not native executables.

    Stick with Microsoft's Visual Studio to create COM objects. You can
    *call* COM objects from Java with something like this:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/jawinproject/

    Alan Krueger, Jun 16, 2005