COM objects in Java

aba955

Hello,

I didn't find much information about building COM objects in Java. I
just found few links talking about the MS javareg utility. Am I missing
something obvious like "COM objects are contrary to the Java
philosophy" or "Java does it differently and call it X"? It could be
the case since I am not an advanced Java programmer and I want to write
a COM object for the first time.

Hence, feel free (of course!) to answer one or more of my following
questions:

a) Are COM objects implementable with Java?
b) Is there an online tutorial I could read?
c) Is there a book I could read (I already have "Essential COM")?.

Thanks in advance for all the answers.

Divan

aba955

I mean a Component Object Model. Something which has been called a long
ago, apparently, ActiveX and OLE by Microsoft. It is supposed to be
interfaced objects, registered on a computer, with which other
applications can interact. I say "supposed" because I am new at this
and it is my actual understanding of it...

Aquila Deus

I mean a Component Object Model. Something which has been called a long
ago, apparently, ActiveX and OLE by Microsoft. It is supposed to be
interfaced objects, registered on a computer, with which other
applications can interact. I say "supposed" because I am new at this
and it is my actual understanding of it...

COM was supported by M$'s own java implmentation many years ago, but
not anymore.

If you're looking for similiar tech, CORBA may be a good choice.

aba955

Ok, that explains why I didn't find much on the subject. I will read
about CORBA. Thanks for your help.

Roland

Hello,

I didn't find much information about building COM objects in Java. I
just found few links talking about the MS javareg utility. Am I missing
something obvious like "COM objects are contrary to the Java
philosophy" or "Java does it differently and call it X"? It could be
the case since I am not an advanced Java programmer and I want to write
a COM object for the first time.

Hence, feel free (of course!) to answer one or more of my following
questions:

a) Are COM objects implementable with Java?
b) Is there an online tutorial I could read?
c) Is there a book I could read (I already have "Essential COM")?.

Thanks in advance for all the answers.

Divan
There's the "ActiveX Bridge" which supposedly allows a JavaBean
component to be packaged as an ActiveX control (I've never used it, so I
don't know if and how well it works).
<http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/beans/axbridge/developerguide/index.html>
--
Regards,

Roland de Ruiter
` ___ ___
`/__/ w_/ /__/
/ \ /_/ / \

Paul

I mean a Component Object Model. Something which has been called a long
ago, apparently, ActiveX and OLE by Microsoft. It is supposed to be
interfaced objects, registered on a computer, with which other
applications can interact. I say "supposed" because I am new at this
and it is my actual understanding of it...

I have used a package called Jacob which allows Java classes to access COM
objects on Windows. I don't think there is a (nice) way to set up a pure
Java program as a COM object. The platform-specific nature of it is contrary
to Java's platform independence.

--Paul

Alan Krueger

I didn't find much information about building COM objects in Java. I
just found few links talking about the MS javareg utility. Am I missing
something obvious like "COM objects are contrary to the Java
philosophy" or "Java does it differently and call it X"? It could be
the case since I am not an advanced Java programmer and I want to write
a COM object for the first time.

Java doesn't natively support building COM objects. COM is a binary
compatibility standard, and Java builds bytecode not native executables.

Stick with Microsoft's Visual Studio to create COM objects. You can
*call* COM objects from Java with something like this:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/jawinproject/