    Thanks,

    --

    Knute Johnson

    Knute Johnson, Aug 6, 2012

  2. On 8/6/2012 1:37 PM, Knute Johnson wrote:
    > Anybody know what the plans are for com.sun.ftp? I've got a project
    > that would work out really well if I could use the FtpClient class from
    > that package. Is it in the Mac version of Java 7?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Except it isn't com.sun.ftp, it's sun.net.ftp. It's been one of those
    days already.

    --

    Knute Johnson

    Knute Johnson, Aug 6, 2012

  3. Knute Johnson

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 8/6/2012 4:37 PM, Knute Johnson wrote:
    > Anybody know what the plans are for com.sun.ftp? I've got a project
    > that would work out really well if I could use the FtpClient class from
    > that package. Is it in the Mac version of Java 7?

    Why not use the Apache Common Net library?

    Instead of relying on some undocumented can change anytime stuff.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 6, 2012
  4. On 8/6/2012 3:02 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > On 8/6/2012 4:37 PM, Knute Johnson wrote:
    >> Anybody know what the plans are for com.sun.ftp? I've got a project
    >> that would work out really well if I could use the FtpClient class from
    >> that package. Is it in the Mac version of Java 7?

    > Why not use the Apache Common Net library?
    >
    > Instead of relying on some undocumented can change anytime stuff.
    >
    > Arne

    I think I was assuming that it is a coming feature. Why would they go
    to the effort to create an ftp package and include it in the JDK if it
    wasn't going to be a regular package some day.

    --

    Knute Johnson

    Knute Johnson, Aug 7, 2012
  5. Knute Johnson

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 8/6/2012 7:06 PM, Knute Johnson wrote:
    > On 8/6/2012 3:02 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >> On 8/6/2012 4:37 PM, Knute Johnson wrote:
    >>> Anybody know what the plans are for com.sun.ftp? I've got a project
    >>> that would work out really well if I could use the FtpClient class from
    >>> that package. Is it in the Mac version of Java 7?

    >> Why not use the Apache Common Net library?
    >>
    >> Instead of relying on some undocumented can change anytime stuff.

    > I think I was assuming that it is a coming feature. Why would they go
    > to the effort to create an ftp package and include it in the JDK if it
    > wasn't going to be a regular package some day.

    The earliest reference I can find for this class is from 2000.

    http://www.jguru.com/faq/view.jsp?EID=17357

    so it has been kept undocumented and unsupported for 12 years.

    But maybe it will be documented within the next 12 years.

    :)

    But if they document it then the package name would be changed,
    so even that would require a code change.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 7, 2012
  6. Knute Johnson

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 13:37:15 -0700, Knute Johnson
    who said :

    >Anybody know what the plans are for com.sun.ftp? I've got a project
    >that would work out really well if I could use the FtpClient class from
    >that package. Is it in the Mac version of Java 7?

    There are some other packages you could use.
    See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/ftp.html

    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com

    Roedy Green, Aug 7, 2012
  7. On 08/07/2012 01:06 AM, Knute Johnson wrote:
    > I think I was assuming that it is a coming feature. Why would they go
    > to the effort to create an ftp package and include it in the JDK if it
    > wasn't going to be a regular package some day.

    One reason would be that it is not used explicitly but rather
    implicitly, for example via
    http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/net/URL.html#openStream()

    Also from that page: "Protocol handlers for the following protocols are
    guaranteed to exist on the search path :-

    http, https, ftp, file, and jar"

    In other words: it is a regular package but it is not intended to be
    used directly but only via a different publicly accessible package.

    Kind regards

    robert

    Robert Klemme, Aug 7, 2012