com.sun.ftp?

Knute Johnson

Anybody know what the plans are for com.sun.ftp? I've got a project
that would work out really well if I could use the FtpClient class from
that package. Is it in the Mac version of Java 7?

Thanks,

Knute Johnson

Anybody know what the plans are for com.sun.ftp? I've got a project
that would work out really well if I could use the FtpClient class from
that package. Is it in the Mac version of Java 7?

Thanks,

Except it isn't com.sun.ftp, it's sun.net.ftp. It's been one of those
days already.

Arne Vajhøj

Anybody know what the plans are for com.sun.ftp? I've got a project
that would work out really well if I could use the FtpClient class from
that package. Is it in the Mac version of Java 7?

Why not use the Apache Common Net library?

Instead of relying on some undocumented can change anytime stuff.

Arne

Knute Johnson

Why not use the Apache Common Net library?

Instead of relying on some undocumented can change anytime stuff.

Arne

I think I was assuming that it is a coming feature. Why would they go
to the effort to create an ftp package and include it in the JDK if it
wasn't going to be a regular package some day.

Arne Vajhøj

I think I was assuming that it is a coming feature. Why would they go
to the effort to create an ftp package and include it in the JDK if it
wasn't going to be a regular package some day.

The earliest reference I can find for this class is from 2000.

http://www.jguru.com/faq/view.jsp?EID=17357

so it has been kept undocumented and unsupported for 12 years.

But maybe it will be documented within the next 12 years.

:)

But if they document it then the package name would be changed,
so even that would require a code change.

Arne

Roedy Green

Anybody know what the plans are for com.sun.ftp? I've got a project
that would work out really well if I could use the FtpClient class from
that package. Is it in the Mac version of Java 7?

There are some other packages you could use.
See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/ftp.html

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Robert Klemme

I think I was assuming that it is a coming feature. Why would they go
to the effort to create an ftp package and include it in the JDK if it
wasn't going to be a regular package some day.

One reason would be that it is not used explicitly but rather
implicitly, for example via
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/net/URL.html#openStream()

Also from that page: "Protocol handlers for the following protocols are
guaranteed to exist on the search path :-

http, https, ftp, file, and jar"

In other words: it is a regular package but it is not intended to be
used directly but only via a different publicly accessible package.

Kind regards

robert