com.sun.net.httpserver.HttpsServer - How To?

Karl Uppiano

I am using the mini HTTP server in JAX-WS that ships with JSE 1.6 to build a
web service that is embedded in an application. The HTTP server works fine,
but the HTTPS server does not. The handshake fails on client hello, with
"javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: no cipher suites in common".

I have studied the JAX-WS API documentation, HttpsServer documentation (and
related links), the JSSE documentation, and Googled this to death. As far as
I can tell, the necessary cipher suites are supported and enabled. I have
run an Ethereal trace of the network traffic, and it appears that the client
is sending a supported cipher suite in the client hello. I can't decipher
the response the server is sending back. There appears to be no data, just
TCP/IP messages and then a disconnect.

Has anyone ever gotten com.sun.net.httpserver.HttpsServer to work? If so,
what is the trick? I can post more information if anyone out there are any
takers.

Karl Uppiano

Karl Uppiano said:
[...]

Update: I got a copy of the JSE source and traced into the JSEE code a bit.
It looks like the SSL engine has a cipher of SSL_NULL_WITH_NULL_NULL_NULL or
something like that, even though I initialized the SSL context and passed in
a configurator in which I set the protocol and cipher suites in the
configure method override. Is HttpsServer simply broken or something?