COM+ user must be an Administrator?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by DJ Miller, Oct 10, 2003.

  1. DJ Miller

    DJ Miller Guest

    I tried moving my web application from the development to production server.
    Development is running Windows 2000 Advanced Server, production is running
    Windows Server 2003. This is what I did to install it (on both Dev and
    Prod; the steps were identical):
    Moved COM objects to server
    Added COM objects to GAC
    Used regsvcs to register all objects from the GAC into COM+
    (forty-something objects grouped into a half dozen or so applications)
    Created a local user account on the server
    Set each COM+ application to run with the Identity of that user (not
    "Interactive User")
    Copied the compiled web pages (including /bin folder) to the server
    Configured a new IIS web site, pointed to that folder

    On both machines, I can hit the web site and it brings up the login page
    fine (which is currently a very simple page that makes no object calls).
    When I log in, it makes a call to one of my COM objects (which then calls
    others). On Dev (the Win2k box), it runs fine, but on Prod (the Win2k3
    box), I get the error included below (with a couple lines about "this was an
    unhandled exception" removed to make it a bit more brief). If I make the
    COM+ user a member of the machine's Administrators group, it runs fine, but
    that kind of defeats my intent of creating a new user. I'm registering the
    objects manually (using another, Administrators-group-member user) rather
    than using "automatic" or "lazy" registering, so that shouldn't be my issue.
    And it works as-is in Win2k. What do I need to do to get Win2k3 to allow
    it?

    Server Error in '/' Application.
    ----

    Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Exception
    from HRESULT: 0x80131700.

    Stack Trace:

    [COMException (0x80131700): Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131700.]
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHR(Int32
    errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo) +0
    System.EnterpriseServices.Thunk.Proxy.CoCreateObject(Type serverType,
    Boolean bQuerySCInfo, Boolean& bIsAnotherProcess, String& uri) +581

    System.EnterpriseServices.ServicedComponentProxyAttribute.CreateInstance(Typ
    e serverType) +181

    System.Runtime.Remoting.Activation.ActivationServices.IsCurrentContextOK(Typ
    e serverType, Object[] props, Boolean bNewObj) +74
    MyWeb.LogOn.btSubmit_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
    c:\inetpub\wwwroot\MyWeb\LogOn.aspx.vb:48

    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePo
    stBackEvent(String eventArgument) +57
    sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18

    ----
    Version:1.1.4322.573
    DJ Miller, Oct 10, 2003