    AAC, ....................
    Many thanks in advance if somebody could help me out.
    Best regards, Michèle

    Michèle, Apr 4, 2009

  2. Michèle

    Lars Eighner Guest

    In our last episode, <49d714d2$0$2849$>, the lovely
    and talented Michèle broadcast on alt.html:

    > Hi,

    > I'am trying to make an HTML programm of all possible combinations in the
    > Alphabet.
    > The code exists of 3 letters.
    > 26*26*26 = 17.576 possibilities!
    > Is there any possibility to have all combinations with a programm? AAA, AAB,
    > AAC, ....................
    > Many thanks in advance if somebody could help me out.
    > Best regards, Michèle

    Yes, it is possible to do this with programming languages. HTML is *not* a
    programming language. The ML in HTML stand for "markup language."

    --
    Lars Eighner <http://larseighner.com/>
    73 days since Rick Warren prayed over Bush's third term.

    Lars Eighner, Apr 4, 2009

  3. Michèle

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Lars Eighner <> wrote:

    > In our last episode, <49d714d2$0$2849$>, the lovely
    > and talented Michèle broadcast on alt.html:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > I'am trying to make an HTML programm of all possible combinations in the
    > > Alphabet.

    Suppose you made a simple program (say in Basic) to print out all 17
    thousand. What do you want to do with this? Are you exploring possible
    worlds?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Apr 4, 2009
  4. Lars Eighner wrote:

    > In our last episode, <49d714d2$0$2849$>, the
    > lovely and talented Michèle broadcast on alt.html:
    >
    >> Hi,

    >> I'am trying to make an HTML programm of all possible combinations in
    >> the Alphabet.

    Smile, you're on the candid webcamera! You have been trolled when you
    replied to a question like that.

    >> The code exists of 3 letters.
    >> 26*26*26 = 17.576 possibilities!

    Less than 18 possibilities? Really? Combinatorics seem to have changed since
    I last had some affair with her.

    > Yes, it is possible to do this with programming languages. HTML is
    > *not* a programming language.

    But you failed to notice the absurdity of referring to "the Alphabet" as
    something containing 26 letters by someone whose name contains "è". Where in
    the sequence of the letters of "the Alphabet" should we expect to find "è"?

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Apr 4, 2009
  5. Michèle

    Michèle Guest

    A very old case exists of a 3 letter code, we can break it open of course,
    but than we can't use it anymore.
    And no, there is nothing in it, but it is too beautiful to throw it away,
    and I see it as a practice for meself.
    I've studied Java, but this is more than 15 years ago, of which I forgot a
    lot (nearly all ;-).
    regards, Michèle

    Michèle, Apr 4, 2009
  6. Michèle

    Michèle Guest

    Thanks!

    Michèle, Apr 4, 2009
  7. Michèle

    Mike Duffy Guest

    "Michèle" <> wrote in

    > A very old case exists of a 3 letter code, we can break it open of
    > course, but than we can't use it anymore.
    > And no, there is nothing in it, but it is too beautiful to throw it
    > away, and I see it as a practice for meself.
    > I've studied Java, but this is more than 15 years ago, of which I
    > forgot a lot (nearly all ;-).

    I wrote a javascript program to do what you want. Note: In IE it may give
    you a warning about the script taking a long time to run. Click on "No" to
    let it continue.

    Are you REALLY going to print this is and cross off each code as you try
    them? It would be easier to x-ray the box to line up the slots. Also, you
    could try "safecracker" mothods. I am sure that it is not as secure as
    modern safes, and you should be able to feel for at least one of the
    letters. That would reduce your codes to 676 instead of 17,576.

    Here is the link that generates the combinations:

    http://pages.videotron.com/duffym/test.htm

    Mike Duffy, Apr 4, 2009
  8. On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 14:09:54 +0000 (UTC), Mike Duffy
    <> wrote:

    >"Michèle" <> wrote in
    >
    >> A very old case exists of a 3 letter code, we can break it open of
    >> course, but than we can't use it anymore.
    >> And no, there is nothing in it, but it is too beautiful to throw it
    >> away, and I see it as a practice for meself.
    >> I've studied Java, but this is more than 15 years ago, of which I
    >> forgot a lot (nearly all ;-).

    >I wrote a javascript program to do what you want. Note: In IE it may give
    >you a warning about the script taking a long time to run. Click on "No" to
    >let it continue.
    >
    >Are you REALLY going to print this is and cross off each code as you try
    >them? It would be easier to x-ray the box to line up the slots. Also, you
    >could try "safecracker" mothods. I am sure that it is not as secure as
    >modern safes, and you should be able to feel for at least one of the
    >letters. That would reduce your codes to 676 instead of 17,576.
    >
    >Here is the link that generates the combinations:
    >
    >http://pages.videotron.com/duffym/test.htm

    She want the result, or the program .... not a stuf that shows:
    AAA, AAB, AAC,.....ZZY, ZZZ.

    :)

    Raymond Schmit, Apr 4, 2009
  9. While the city slept, Michèle feverishly typed:
    > Is there any possibility to have all combinations with a programm?
    > AAA, AAB, AAC, ....................

    [...]

    The following may be of some interest to you - if you haven't seen it
    already: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base_26

    "Base 26 is a fairly natural way of representing numbers as text using the
    26-letter Latin alphabet..."

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss | http://www.nigenet.org.uk
    Email not valid. - take the dog out!

    nice.guy.nige, Apr 4, 2009
  10. Michèle

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 10:05:42 +0200, "Michèle" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'am trying to make an HTML programm of all possible combinations in the
    >Alphabet.
    >The code exists of 3 letters.
    >26*26*26 = 17.576 possibilities!
    >Is there any possibility to have all combinations with a programm? AAA, AAB,
    >AAC, ....................
    >Many thanks in advance if somebody could help me out.
    >Best regards, Michèle

    You should look into this using PHP.
    A simple 3 level for/next loop is all you need.

    Or you could do it just as easy with BASIC.
    Probably fairly easy in javascript.

    richard, Apr 4, 2009
  11. Martin Jay wrote:

    > richard <> wrote:
    >>You should look into this using PHP.
    >>A simple 3 level for/next loop is all you need.
    >>
    >>Or you could do it just as easy with BASIC.

    > Is your love affair with Run BASIC over?

    He's the only one I know who uses (Run) BASIC to build web sites...

    (Pssst ... I'd like to see his nested-three-deep PHP code, wouldn't you?
    <g> )

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 4, 2009
  12. Michèle

    Mike Duffy Guest

    (Raymond Schmit) wrote in

    > On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 14:09:54 +0000 (UTC), Mike Duffy
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Here is the link that generates the combinations:
    >>
    >>http://pages.videotron.com/duffym/test.htm

    > She want the result, or the program .... not a stuf that shows:
    > AAA, AAB, AAC,.....ZZY, ZZZ.
    >
    >:)

    I do not understand your point. What is the "result" she wants? I
    understood that she wanted the series AAA, AAB .....

    Also, it is javascript, so you can see the program if you use the menu
    command:

    View / Source

    Mike Duffy, Apr 4, 2009
  13. On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 19:58:23 +0000 (UTC), Mike Duffy
    <> wrote:

    > (Raymond Schmit) wrote in
    >
    >> On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 14:09:54 +0000 (UTC), Mike Duffy
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Here is the link that generates the combinations:
    >>>
    >>>http://pages.videotron.com/duffym/test.htm

    >> She want the result, or the program .... not a stuf that shows:
    >> AAA, AAB, AAC,.....ZZY, ZZZ.
    >>
    >>:)
    >>

    >I do not understand your point. What is the "result" she wants? I
    >understood that she wanted the series AAA, AAB .....
    >
    >Also, it is javascript, so you can see the program if you use the menu
    >command:
    >
    >View / Source

    You are true. I had misunderstood the quest :)

    Raymond Schmit, Apr 4, 2009
  14. Michèle

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 19:58:00 +0100, Martin Jay
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 14:22:51 -0400, richard <>
    >wrote:
    >>On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 10:05:42 +0200, "Michèle" <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>I'am trying to make an HTML programm of all possible combinations in the
    >>>Alphabet.
    >>>The code exists of 3 letters.
    >>>26*26*26 = 17.576 possibilities!

    >>You should look into this using PHP.
    >>A simple 3 level for/next loop is all you need.
    >>
    >>Or you could do it just as easy with BASIC.
    >>Probably fairly easy in javascript.

    >Is your love affair with Run BASIC over?

    Hardly.
    I suggested PHP in this case because all that you need to do for the
    output PHP can handle just as well.

    richard, Apr 4, 2009
  15. Michèle

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 15:31:46 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >Martin Jay wrote:
    >
    >> richard <> wrote:
    >>>You should look into this using PHP.
    >>>A simple 3 level for/next loop is all you need.
    >>>
    >>>Or you could do it just as easy with BASIC.

    >> Is your love affair with Run BASIC over?

    >He's the only one I know who uses (Run) BASIC to build web sites...
    >
    >(Pssst ... I'd like to see his nested-three-deep PHP code, wouldn't you?
    ><g> )

    While I personally would not build the entire site using Run Basic, I
    would use RB to make certain things easier to handle.

    As when Flash first came out, very few people used it. At first, as
    intended, for banners and such, then later, as entire websites. Unlike
    Flash, Run Basic requires no plugins or client side action.

    richard, Apr 4, 2009
  16. Michèle

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 17:37:14 -0400, BootNic <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 04:32:36 -0500
    >Ben C <> wrote in:
    ><>
    >
    >> On 2009-04-04, Michèle <> wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I'am trying to make an HTML programm of all possible combinations in the
    >>> Alphabet.

    >> Actually I have that on my CV in the "skills" section.
    >>
    >>> The code exists of 3 letters.
    >>> 26*26*26 = 17.576 possibilities!
    >>> Is there any possibility to have all combinations with a
    >>> programm? AAA, AAB, AAC, …
    >>> Many thanks in advance if somebody could help me out.

    >> Here is a Python program to do it:
    >>
    >> from string import uppercase as u
    >>
    >> for i in range(26):
    >> for j in range(26):
    >> for k in range(26):
    >> print '<span class="code">%s</span>' % (u + u[j] + u[k])

    >[snip]
    >
    >PHP version may look something like:
    >
    ><ol>
    ><?php
    >
    >$range = range('A', 'Z');
    >foreach($range as $A)
    > foreach($range as $B)
    > foreach($range as $C)
    > print "<li>$A$B$C</li>\n";
    >
    >?>
    ></ol>

    Hell, in run basic I can come up with 3 or 4 ways to do it.
    html "<ul>"
    For a =64 to 90
    for b=64 to 90
    for c=64 to 90

    show$=chr$(a)+chr$(b)+chr$(c)
    html "<li>";show$;"</li>"
    next c
    next b
    next a
    html "</ul>"

    richard, Apr 5, 2009
  17. Michèle

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 11:35:38 +0200, "Michèle" <>
    wrote:

    >A very old case exists of a 3 letter code, we can break it open of course,
    >but than we can't use it anymore.
    >And no, there is nothing in it, but it is too beautiful to throw it away,
    >and I see it as a practice for meself.
    >I've studied Java, but this is more than 15 years ago, of which I forgot a
    >lot (nearly all ;-).
    >regards, Michèle

    In that "case", take it to a locksmith. Seriously.
    If the combination is changeable by the owner, then begin trying
    common 3 letter words.
    Since this is a lock, you can eliminate combinations like ?xx or xx?.
    where x is any letter.
    If you knew who the owner was, try the intitials.

    If you try it the hard way, it will take ages going through each
    possible combination.

    richard, Apr 5, 2009
  18. Michèle

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    richard <> wrote:

    > Hell, in run basic I can come up with 3 or 4 ways to do it.

    This Run Basic is the way of the future and you are riding on the crest
    of it.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Apr 5, 2009
  19. Michèle

    rf Guest

    Michèle wrote:
    > A very old case exists of a 3 letter code, we can break it open of
    > course, but than we can't use it anymore.
    > And no, there is nothing in it, but it is too beautiful to throw it
    > away, and I see it as a practice for meself.
    > I've studied Java, but this is more than 15 years ago, of which I
    > forgot a lot (nearly all ;-).
    > regards, Michèle

    Da Vinci code.

    rf, Apr 5, 2009
  20. Michèle

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 10:06:52 +1000, dorayme
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > richard <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hell, in run basic I can come up with 3 or 4 ways to do it.

    >This Run Basic is the way of the future and you are riding on the crest
    >of it.

    So catch the wave and join the fun.
    www.runbasic.com
    download the free edition and try it out.
    You won't be able to publish what you do but you can save the work.

    richard, Apr 5, 2009