Combine XHTML + Custom Tag Set

Discussion in 'XML' started by KW, Dec 15, 2006.

  1. KW

    KW Guest

    I have a challenge and would appreciate any suggested approaches. I
    want to be able to let a group of end users create something like the
    following...

    <custom:CustomTag attribute="Something" />
    <custom:AnotherCustomTag>Some content here</custom:AnotherCustomTag>
    Cool

    Anyway, I want to allow my staff to combine XHTML tags with a set of
    custom tags we will have defined. The resulting markup will be parsed
    by our application and the custom tags would be replaced with valid
    XHTML based on the tag and attributes. The idea is that we are trying
    to allow our staff to be able to design layouts easily in XHTML and mix
    in these special tags that mean things to our system.

    Is there a way to define a schema that would allow for this approach?
    Or, is there a better approach to implementing something like this? I
    will need to be able to work with fragments like this, not whole xml
    documents.

    I appreciate any help on this!

    Kevin

    KW, Dec 15, 2006

  2. Bjoern Hoehrmann, Dec 15, 2006

  3. KW

    Andy Dingley Guest

    KW wrote:

    > want to be able to let a group of end users create something like the
    > following...

    > <custom:CustomTag attribute="Something" />
    > <custom:AnotherCustomTag>Some content here</custom:AnotherCustomTag>
    > Cool

    IMHO, the favourites are these:

    * XML Namespacing

    * <div> and <span> with identifiable class attributes.

    * XHTML Modularisation

    Remember that XML features have to be stripped out before publishing to
    the web, but they're great within a CMS. The full XHTML modularisation
    palaver is too complicated (compared to just namesapcing) and still
    isn't usefully publishable to the world at large.

    Andy Dingley, Dec 15, 2006