combining data&presentation and splitting it back

Discussion in 'XML' started by Balrog, Apr 21, 2004.

  1. Balrog

    Balrog Guest

    Hi!
    I wonder if anyone could give me some hints/pointers. This is what I'm
    trying to do:

    say, I have the following:
    - data (most likely XML) Example: <colour>red</colour>
    - data validation rules (ranges, defaults, etc) (XML, schema?)
    Example <colour>
    <option>red</opton>
    <option>amber</opton>
    <option>green</opton>
    <default>green</default>
    </colour>

    - description of data presentation (XML too) Example:
    <colour>listbox</colour>

    I'd like to generate a document (XTML page or Windows form, for
    example), where these three come together to help user to make changes
    to the data

    After changes are made, I'd like to split the document and extract the
    pure data.

    So, could you point me to some published work in this area, or share
    your thoughts, etc.

    thanks and regards

    kdv09

    Balrog, Apr 21, 2004

  2. Balrog wrote:

    > Hi!
    > I wonder if anyone could give me some hints/pointers. This is what I'm
    > trying to do:
    >
    > say, I have the following:
    > - data (most likely XML) Example: <colour>red</colour>
    > - data validation rules (ranges, defaults, etc) (XML, schema?)
    > Example <colour>
    > <option>red</opton>
    > <option>amber</opton>
    > <option>green</opton>
    > <default>green</default>
    > </colour>
    >
    > - description of data presentation (XML too) Example:
    > <colour>listbox</colour>
    >
    > I'd like to generate a document (XTML page or Windows form, for
    > example), where these three come together to help user to make changes
    > to the data
    >
    > After changes are made, I'd like to split the document and extract the
    > pure data.
    >
    > So, could you point me to some published work in this area, or share
    > your thoughts, etc.

    This definitely looks like something to be done by XForms. It is a way
    of representing forms (like in HTML, only much more powerful) in XML,
    for use with any compliant viewer. You can do exactly what you are
    implying in XForms. Check out the following pages:
    - Good tutorial: http://xformsinstitute.com/lesson1.php
    - Small W3Schools tutorial: http://www.w3schools.com/xforms/
    - Free O'Reilly book on the subject:
    http://xformsinstitute.com/essentials/browse/book.php
    - The W3C XForms main page: http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/
    - The newest W3C recommendation (technical description of the standard):
    http://www.w3.org/TR/xforms/
    - XForms validator: http://xformsinstitute.com/validator/
    - DENG viewer (very good, small, open source, needs Macromedia Flash
    viewer): http://claus.packts.net/
    - Chiba viewer (very good, but needs Java & Tomcat):
    http://chiba.sourceforge.net/
    - X-Smiles viewer (slow, open source): http://www.xsmiles.org/

    --
    Victor

    Victor Engmark, Apr 21, 2004

  3. Balrog

    Balrog Guest

    Victor Engmark <> wrote in message news:<c6562d$cvd$>...

    > This definitely looks like something to be done by XForms. It is a way
    > of representing forms (like in HTML, only much more powerful) in XML,
    > for use with any compliant viewer. You can do exactly what you are
    > implying in XForms. Check out the following pages:
    > - Good tutorial: http://xformsinstitute.com/lesson1.php
    > - Small W3Schools tutorial: http://www.w3schools.com/xforms/
    > - Free O'Reilly book on the subject:
    > http://xformsinstitute.com/essentials/browse/book.php
    > - The W3C XForms main page: http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/
    > - The newest W3C recommendation (technical description of the standard):
    > http://www.w3.org/TR/xforms/
    > - XForms validator: http://xformsinstitute.com/validator/
    > - DENG viewer (very good, small, open source, needs Macromedia Flash
    > viewer): http://claus.packts.net/
    > - Chiba viewer (very good, but needs Java & Tomcat):
    > http://chiba.sourceforge.net/
    > - X-Smiles viewer (slow, open source): http://www.xsmiles.org/

    Victor,
    thanks a lot for this lead, I'm checking it now. From what I see so
    far, it looks promising and to the point:

    "- XForms should use XML, both for initial data and submitted data.

    - The difference between a blank form and a filled-out form should be
    minimal and representable as an XML document.

    - Forms should be easy to route to multiple users and locations.

    - XForms should separate purpose, presentation, and form data.
    Earlier, each section describing an HTML form control had to define
    two things: how the control looked, and how it affected the form data
    set. XForms should cleanly separate these two aspects.

    - XForms should provide the 20 percent of functionality needed to
    avoid 80 percent of all forms scripting.

    - Popular features such as calculations and validations should be
    included in the language.

    - XForms should be designed in such a way to encourage those using
    HTML forms to switch over by making sure that all the commonly used
    features in HTML forms are still possible in XForms." (this is from
    O'Reily book you've mentioned)

    Thanks again
    kdv09

    Balrog, Apr 22, 2004