Combining object arrays

mike

If I have 2 object arrays like:

var txtobj = theform.getElementsByTagName("input");
var selobj = theform.getElementsByTagName("select");

and i want to iterate over them I'd like to combine them and then
iterate over them.

so I would do something like this below, but that doesn't look right.
var bothobj = txtobj+selobj;

for( var i=0; i<bothobj.length; i++ )
{
do something....
}

Any thought?

Randy Webb

mike said the following on 9/14/2005 4:37 PM:
If I have 2 object arrays like:

var txtobj = theform.getElementsByTagName("input");
var selobj = theform.getElementsByTagName("select");

and i want to iterate over them I'd like to combine them and then
iterate over them.

so I would do something like this below, but that doesn't look right.
var bothobj = txtobj+selobj;

for( var i=0; i<bothobj.length; i++ )
{
do something....
}

Any thought?

Test it and see.

..concat()

Mick White

mike said:
If I have 2 object arrays like:

var txtobj = theform.getElementsByTagName("input");
var selobj = theform.getElementsByTagName("select");

Bad!!
var txtobj = document.theform.getElementsByTagName("input")

But why not use DOM 0?

function checkInputsAndSelects(form){
var f=form.length;
while(f--){
if(form[f].type.toLowerCase()=="input"){
// do stuff with input
}
if(form[f].type.toLowerCase()=="select"){
// do stuff with select

Mick

[...]

mike

Mick,

Why is this bad?

var txtobj = document.theform.getElementsByTagName("input")

Is it because you think it only gets <input ..> but not <INPUT ...>

Mike

Mick White

mike said:
Mick,

Why is this bad?

var txtobj = document.theform.getElementsByTagName("input")

Is it because you think it only gets <input ..> but not <INPUT ...>

var txtobj = theform.getElementsByTagName("input");

missing "document" reference...

Will work in IE, though.

Mick

RobG

mike said:
If I have 2 object arrays like:

var txtobj = theform.getElementsByTagName("input");
var selobj = theform.getElementsByTagName("select");

and i want to iterate over them I'd like to combine them and then
iterate over them.

so I would do something like this below, but that doesn't look right.
var bothobj = txtobj+selobj;

No, it's not right. getElementsByTagName returns an HTML collection,
not an array. Collections have some array-like properties, e.g. length,
but have none of an Array's methods.
for( var i=0; i<bothobj.length; i++ )
{
do something....
}

To concatenate collections, you could create a concatenation function
that adds the elements of a collection to an array[1]:

function concatCollections() {
var c, k, j, i = arguments.length;
var a = [];
for ( j=0; j<i; j++ ) {
c = arguments[j];
h = c.length;
for ( k=0; k<h; k++ ){
a.push(c[k]);
return a;
}

And once you've created the collections, call the above function:

var arrayOfElements = concatCollections(txtobj, selobj);

But this seems a waste of time. Whatever function that is going to
iterate over the array could accept multiple arguments and iterate over
collections instead.

Unless there are some array methods you'd like to use.

[1] Push is not supported in very old browsers (it was introduced in
JavaScript 1.2, works in Netscape 3+ and IE 5+ I think), it's pretty
simple to create your own push function if required.
<URL:http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Core_JavaScript_1.5_Reference:Global_Objects:Array:push>

Mick White

mike said:
i had already defined

var theform = document.update;

so ... it is ok then ... ?
Your original post:

<QUOTE>
If I have 2 object arrays like:

var txtobj = theform.getElementsByTagName("input");
var selobj = theform.getElementsByTagName("select");

[...]
</QUOTE>

Missing "document" reference.
Mick

mike

But this seems a waste of time. Whatever function that is going to
iterate over the array could accept multiple arguments and iterate over

collections instead.

I agree. thanks though for your explanation and collection code.

Mike

Lee

mike said:
If I have 2 object arrays like:

var txtobj = theform.getElementsByTagName("input");
var selobj = theform.getElementsByTagName("select");

and i want to iterate over them I'd like to combine them and then
iterate over them.

You're probably handling the input's and the select's differently
anyway, so why bother with pulling them out and concatinating them?

for (i=0;i<theform.elements.length;i++) {
if (theform.elements.type=="input") {
} else if (...) {

mike

This is what I decided to do:

var theform = document.update;

var txtobj = theform.getElementsByTagName("input");
var mod = do_something(txtobj);
.... something happens with the results of mod

var selobj = theform.getElementsByTagName("select");
var mod = do_something(selobj);

.... something happens with the results of mod

function do_something(obj)
{
for( var i=0; i<obj.length; i++ )
{