Combiningg WCF, ASP.NET 3.5 and Silverlight

John Sedlak

I have run into a frustrating problem. First I will need to cover some
background. I recently installed Windows Server 2008 Standard on a PC on the
network. I installed IIS, SQL Server 2005 and a few other packages. I also
have the ability to get to this server from outside the network via a
Dynamic DNS updating tool. Everything is visible on the LAN and from outside
the LAN.

On IIS7 I have a website running two applications. One is called services
and the other is called site. Thus to get to each individual application, I
browse here (or via IP or via the dynDNS domain).

http://myserver:8888/services
http://myserver:8888/site

On the services application I have a simple WCF service running that uses
some LINQ to return a list of data from a database. This part works great
under certain conditions.

On the website I have a simple ASP.NET 3.5 site and a Silverlight control
that references the service (via the outside domain, NOT via the internal
LAN IP or computer name).

When I browse to the site like this:
http://myserver:8888/site/Members.aspx

everything works fine. The silverlight shows, the data is retrieved and all
is well in the world.

However, when I visit via the outside domain setup...
http://mysite.dyndns.org:8888/site/Members.aspx

the silverlight shows and the page renders but no data is retrieved. I am at
a loss as to why this is happening and how to fix it. I have read that it
could be a cross domain issue, but putting the files on the server was to no
avail. Well, actually I am led to believe it fixed a previous problem. Note
that the WSDL/XSD created for the service referenced the internal computer
by its name. When fixing it to a static resource that referenced the
external url, it also did not fix the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you want to see the source or
visit the site and feel you can help, please feel free to contact me
privately.

Thank you!

--
John Sedlak
Microsoft MVP - Xna/DirectX

(e-mail address removed)
http://focusedgames.com

John Sedlak

Oops. Should read "Combining".

Never-the-less, I touched something today while trying to add a new service
and now the services don't work over LAN or the internet.

--
John Sedlak
Microsoft MVP - Xna/DirectX

(e-mail address removed)