Combiningg WCF, ASP.NET 3.5 and Silverlight

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by John Sedlak, Apr 19, 2008.

  1. John Sedlak

    John Sedlak Guest

    I have run into a frustrating problem. First I will need to cover some
    background. I recently installed Windows Server 2008 Standard on a PC on the
    network. I installed IIS, SQL Server 2005 and a few other packages. I also
    have the ability to get to this server from outside the network via a
    Dynamic DNS updating tool. Everything is visible on the LAN and from outside
    the LAN.

    On IIS7 I have a website running two applications. One is called services
    and the other is called site. Thus to get to each individual application, I
    browse here (or via IP or via the dynDNS domain).

    http://myserver:8888/services
    http://myserver:8888/site

    On the services application I have a simple WCF service running that uses
    some LINQ to return a list of data from a database. This part works great
    under certain conditions.

    On the website I have a simple ASP.NET 3.5 site and a Silverlight control
    that references the service (via the outside domain, NOT via the internal
    LAN IP or computer name).

    When I browse to the site like this:
    http://myserver:8888/site/Members.aspx

    everything works fine. The silverlight shows, the data is retrieved and all
    is well in the world.

    However, when I visit via the outside domain setup...
    http://mysite.dyndns.org:8888/site/Members.aspx

    the silverlight shows and the page renders but no data is retrieved. I am at
    a loss as to why this is happening and how to fix it. I have read that it
    could be a cross domain issue, but putting the files on the server was to no
    avail. Well, actually I am led to believe it fixed a previous problem. Note
    that the WSDL/XSD created for the service referenced the internal computer
    by its name. When fixing it to a static resource that referenced the
    external url, it also did not fix the issue.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you want to see the source or
    visit the site and feel you can help, please feel free to contact me
    privately.

    Thank you!

    --
    John Sedlak
    Microsoft MVP - Xna/DirectX

    http://focusedgames.com

    John Sedlak, Apr 19, 2008

  2. John Sedlak

    John Sedlak Guest

    Oops. Should read "Combining".

    Never-the-less, I touched something today while trying to add a new service
    and now the services don't work over LAN or the internet.

    --
    John Sedlak
    Microsoft MVP - Xna/DirectX

    http://focusedgames.com