COMBO BOX INSTEAD OF DROP DOWN BOX

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?QW5nZWw=?=, Jun 29, 2004.

  1. is there a combo box that a user can key something in or select from the drop down list? i added the webcontrol drop down but there is no property to allow the user to key into the text portion of the control.

    thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5nZWw=?=, Jun 29, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QW5nZWw=?=

    Ethan Adams Guest

    The problem is that HTML defines no such element, so ASP.NET can't really
    create one. We've been wishing that HTML had a combobox ever since HTML
    began, I think, and it still doesn't. It is possible, using positioning and
    client side script to place a text box on top of a list box and more or less
    mimick a combo box, and I suppose one could write a server control that
    would do this. However, I have yet to see an implementation of this idea
    that is anything but kludgy. My best advice is to think of another way to
    design your UI so that you don't need a combo box.

    HTH,
    Ethan Adams

    Ethan Adams, Jun 29, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?QW5nZWw=?=

    Ethan Adams Guest

    Well, here somebody has really done it with DHTML:

    http://www.dbcombo.net/

    Still a little kludgy, but not bad.

    -- Ethan

    Ethan Adams, Jun 29, 2004
  4. This one is free with source from Andy Smith:

    http://www.metabuilders.com/Tools/ComboBox.aspx

    "ComboBox Control
    This is an emulation of the Windows.Forms ComboBox. It is the combination of
    a Textbox, with a DropDownList. For browsers with good script and css
    support, the control will display as a normal ComboBox. For older browsers
    or those with poor script or css support, the control will display as a pair
    of controls, one TextBox and one DropDownList. Either way the serverside
    progmattic interface will be the same."

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Jun 29, 2004