Combo table/list

Discussion in 'HTML' started by BernieH, May 19, 2005.

  1. BernieH

    BernieH Guest

    I need to create a web page that complies with W3C accessibility guidelines.
    The contains a columnar list that goes something like -

    Col.1 = list structure, e.g. 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 etc
    Col. 2 = date point in col. 1 was actioned
    Col. 3 = person who actioned point in col. 1

    (e.g. lines that may or may not be viewed correctly when this message is
    posted -

    1 How to dig holes
    Date Person
    1.1 Dig a big hole 1.1.2006 B.Dagwood
    1.2 Dig a little hole 2.2.2006 D. Bumstead

    )

    Now, I know that layout tables aren't W3C-compatible, but is it legitimate
    to use a table for such as this?

    Can I use a table for the whole thing, or should I create smaller tables for
    those parts of the list where it is required (e.g. for lines 1.1-1.2,
    2.1-2.5 etc)

    TIA

    Bernieh

    BernieH, May 19, 2005

  2. BernieH

    Safalra Guest

    BernieH wrote:
    > I need to create a web page that complies with W3C accessibility

    guidelines.
    > The contains a columnar list that goes something like -
    >
    > Col.1 = list structure, e.g. 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 etc
    > Col. 2 = date point in col. 1 was actioned
    > Col. 3 = person who actioned point in col. 1
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > Now, I know that layout tables aren't W3C-compatible, but is it

    legitimate
    > to use a table for such as this?

    Tables should be used for tabular data. The fact that you can desribe
    what kind of information each column contains is a good indication that
    this *is* tabular data. Remember to use table-header (th) elements for
    the headers, of course.

    --
    Safalra (Stephen Morley)
    http://www.safalra.com/hypertext/