ComboBox DropDownWidth

Peter Larsen [CPH]

Hi,

How do i set DropDownWith in a asp.net ComboBox ??

Thank you in advance.

BR
Peter

bruce barker

this is no combobox in asp.net. i assume you mean the dropdown
(<select>). the width of the control is set with the style width
com,mand like any other dom object. if you mean the width of the actual
dropdown, this is not settable with most browsers.

if you need this feature you will need an dom/javascript based control.
there are a lot of samples, but you need to determine what features you
need. most are pretty weak on keyboard support, so be sure to check that.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Steven Cheng

Hi Peter,

As bruce suggested, the ASP.NET built-in control only support a
dropdownlist or ListBox, no combox control. Also, for dropdownlist and
listbox, they're based on the pure HTML <select> element.

If you need a combobox, you can have a look at some community member's
custom control which may provide some more customizable propeties (since
those controls are built via custom html elements ):

#ASP.NET ComboBox
http://dotnetslackers.com/articles/aspnet/Custom_ASPNET_ComboxBox_Control.as
px

#ComboBox Control for ASP.NET
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/custom-controls/comboboxcontrol.aspx

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance&ln=en-us.

--------------------
From: "Peter Larsen [CPH]" <[email protected]>
Subject: ComboBox DropDownWidth
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 15:19:20 +0200

Peter Larsen [CPH]

Hi Steven and Bruce,

Thanks for you comments.

This is the code:

<asp:dropdownlist id="fundSearchCombo" runat="server" width="150px"
autopostback="true" OnSelectedIndexChanged="OnFundSearchComboChange">
<asp:ListItem Text="No Selection"></asp:ListItem>
</asp:dropdownlist>

I don't need to be able to set the dropdown width manually. I just want the
combobox to asjust the width automatically on dropdown - just like what
Firefox do.
Using Internet Explorer, the dropdown box is the same width as the combobox.

Why is it possible with firefox, but not with IE ??

BR
Peter

Steven Cheng

Thanks for your reply Peter,

I've got the things you mentioned. I'm afraid this width behavior is fixed
by the dropdownlist (html <select>) component of IE browser. The IE browser
use the window standard dropdownlist for rendering <select> html element on
web page. I think FireFox use its own implementation which is different
from IE. And this behavior is not controlled by standard css or html
attribute.

But it is really a good idea to improve the dropdown control in IE. You're
welcome to post you feedback to the new opening IE connect feedback site:

http://connect.microsoft.com/IE

From: "Peter Larsen [CPH]" <[email protected]>

Peter Larsen [CPH]

Hej Steven,

Thanks for your reply.
Isn't DropDownWidth a standard property ??
Anyway, i think i'll post a comment at microsoft about IE - and look for a
custom control.

BR
Peter

Steven Cheng

Thanks Peter,

So far "DropDownWidth" property is still not supported on IE.
Appreciate your feedback.

From: "Peter Larsen [CPH]" <[email protected]>
<[email protected]>