    How can I implement this? The user selects one option and a new pops up...
    When user select same option a new must pop up.

    Frank

    Dropstengel, Aug 18, 2004

  2. On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 09:17:37 +0200, Dropstengel <> wrote:

    I'll spare you the lecture of why pop-ups are bad. I'm sure you already
    know it.

    > I have a simple form that just contains 1 combobox with several options.
    > There is no onSelect event that I can handle, right?

    The select event is fired when the user selects text. The usual change and
    click events apply to SELECT elements.

    > How can I implement this? The user selects one option and a new pops
    > up...
    > When user select same option a new must pop up.

    Don't do that. The only elements that should cause an action, such as
    navigation, are buttons. The user doesn't usually expect something to
    happen just by selecting a value from a list.

    In addition, just because the user has made a selection doesn't mean
    that's actually their chosen value. Why? Users make mistakes. Moreover,
    there are more ways to select from a SELECT element than just clicking a
    value. Once the element has focus, the user can press a key to jump to the
    first option that begins with that letter. In a list of countries, for
    example, that first option is not likely to be the final choice. The user
    can also use the cursor keys and the mouse wheel to scroll through the
    list. Each one of these situations will act like a selection, but none of
    them will be.

    The solution? Use a button. Not only will this activate irrespective of
    whether the value has changed, but it also provides a more concrete
    interface.

    Mike

    --
    Michael Winter
    Replace ".invalid" with ".uk" to reply by e-mail

    Michael Winter, Aug 18, 2004

  3. Dropstengel

    Dropstengel Guest

    "Michael Winter" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 09:17:37 +0200, Dropstengel <> wrote:
    >
    > I'll spare you the lecture of why pop-ups are bad. I'm sure you already
    > know it.
    >
    > > I have a simple form that just contains 1 combobox with several options.
    > > There is no onSelect event that I can handle, right?

    > The select event is fired when the user selects text. The usual change and
    > click events apply to SELECT elements.
    >
    > > How can I implement this? The user selects one option and a new pops
    > > up...
    > > When user select same option a new must pop up.

    > Don't do that. The only elements that should cause an action, such as
    > navigation, are buttons. The user doesn't usually expect something to
    > happen just by selecting a value from a list.
    >
    > In addition, just because the user has made a selection doesn't mean
    > that's actually their chosen value. Why? Users make mistakes. Moreover,
    > there are more ways to select from a SELECT element than just clicking a
    > value. Once the element has focus, the user can press a key to jump to the
    > first option that begins with that letter. In a list of countries, for
    > example, that first option is not likely to be the final choice. The user
    > can also use the cursor keys and the mouse wheel to scroll through the
    > list. Each one of these situations will act like a selection, but none of
    > them will be.
    >
    > The solution? Use a button. Not only will this activate irrespective of
    > whether the value has changed, but it also provides a more concrete
    > interface.
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > --
    > Michael Winter
    > Replace ".invalid" with ".uk" to reply by e-mail

    Thanks, I completely agree (I normally develop C++ applications for Windows
    where UI forms about 60% of the whole application).
    But, for my sister in law I'm writing some JavaScript code because it's part
    of her study. And that excersise tells me to do this strange behaviour.....

    Frank

    Dropstengel, Aug 18, 2004
  4. On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:09:00 +0200, Dropstengel <> wrote:

    [snipped lecture on usability]

    > Thanks, I completely agree (I normally develop C++ applications for
    > Windows where UI forms about 60% of the whole application).

    Yes, I know. It's a pain in the ass. :)

    > But, for my sister in law I'm writing some JavaScript code because it's
    > part of her study. And that excersise tells me to do this strange
    > behaviour.....

    In that case, using the click event is probably the best way to go so that
    the event fires on every selection.

    I hope this "study" isn't a web design course. If it is, it's teaching bad
    practice.

    Good luck to you both,
    Mike

    Michael Winter, Aug 18, 2004
  5. Dropstengel

    > On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:09:00 +0200, Dropstengel <> wrote:
    >

    > I hope this "study" isn't a web design course. If it is, it's teaching bad
    > practice.

    No, something like "Informationservice-and management"
    (Informatiedienstverlening en management in Dutch).
    Horrible...

    > Good luck to you both,
    > Mike

    Frank