    invented for that reason originally? Can it work with heavy traffic
    applications well?
    Who had an experience and what can one say?

    vunet, Jan 25, 2008

  2. vunet wrote:
    > Can anyone explain the negative side of Comet programming?

    I'll give it a try.

    > GTalk on GMail seems to have Comet implemented and Comet appears to be
    > the future of AJAX web apps.

    Maybe so, but that assumption would be a little premature, don't you think?

    > If the connection needs to be continuously open on one of the sides,
    > won't it actually increase the server load rather than decrease as
    > invented for that reason originally?

    No, it won't. To use an image, you can have a tunnel and no or little
    traffic going through. However, a client should only maintain a limited
    number of persistent HTTP connections (which are the default behavior) with
    any server or proxy (RFC 2616 recommends a maximum of two), which can slow
    down other Web applications. Also, for persistent connections both client
    and server have to fully implement HTTP/1.1, and the considerations included
    there would apply for Comet-based applications as well:

    http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt

    > Can it work with heavy traffic applications well?

    I don't see why it could not. However, of course it depends on what you
    call "heavy traffic".

    > Who had an experience and what can one say?

    I have not, those above are general considerations from what I have just
    read here and in Wikipedia about the Comet technology.

    HTH

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Jan 25, 2008