    w: www.webmechanic.softouch.on.ca/
    Perl | MySQL programming for all data entry forms.
    "Others make web sites. We make web sites work!"
    Amer Neely, Sep 13, 2007

  2. Amer Neely

    Ben Finney Guest

    Amer Neely <> writes:

    > A question I have, if someone here is familiar with Perl, does Python
    > have something like Perl's 'here document'?

    I'm not sure exactly what behaviour you want, but Python accepts
    literal strings to be triple-quoted (i.e. delimited by """ pairs or
    ''' pairs), which allows you to freely use literal line feed and quote
    characters inside that string.

    <URL:http://docs.python.org/ref/strings.html>

    --
    \ "Are you pondering what I'm pondering?" "I think so, Brain, but |
    `\ pants with horizontal stripes make me look chubby." -- _Pinky |
    Ben Finney, Sep 13, 2007

  3. On Sep 12, 5:30 pm, Amer Neely <> wrote:
    > I'm a complete newbie with Python, but have several years experience
    > with Perl in a web environment.
    >
    > A question I have, if someone here is familiar with Perl, does Python
    > have something like Perl's 'here document'? I've just searched and read
    > some postings on generating HTML but they all seem to refer to various
    > template utilities. Is this the only way, or am I missing something? I'm
    > used to generating X/HTML by hand, which makes the here document in Perl
    > ideal for me. Also, many times a client already existing HTML code that
    > I can use in a script.
    >
    > --
    > Amer Neely
    > w:www.webmechanic.softouch.on.ca/
    > Perl | MySQL programming for all data entry forms.
    > "Others make web sites. We make web sites work!"

    I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but Python has a
    special string with 3 quotes that I believe duplicates part of the
    functionality of a here document:

    myHmtlHeader = """
    <head attribute = "abc">
    <title>My Page</title>
    </head>
    """

    print myHtmlHeader

    outputs:

    <head attribute="abc">
    <title>My Page</title>
    </head>
    TheFlyingDutchman, Sep 13, 2007
  4. Amer Neely

    Amer Neely Guest

    Ben Finney wrote:
    > Amer Neely <> writes:
    >
    >> A question I have, if someone here is familiar with Perl, does Python
    >> have something like Perl's 'here document'?

    > I'm not sure exactly what behaviour you want, but Python accepts
    > literal strings to be triple-quoted (i.e. delimited by """ pairs or
    > ''' pairs), which allows you to freely use literal line feed and quote
    > characters inside that string.
    >
    > <URL:http://docs.python.org/ref/strings.html>

    I saw that and I guess that is the closest thing. In Perl I can do ..

    print <<EndHTML;
    Hello
    EndHTML

    In this case 'EndHTML' is a label, and I'm telling perl to print
    everything as is up to that label.

    --
    Amer Neely
    Amer Neely, Sep 13, 2007
  5. Amer Neely

    Amer Neely Guest

    TheFlyingDutchman wrote:
    > On Sep 12, 5:30 pm, Amer Neely <> wrote:
    >> I'm a complete newbie with Python, but have several years experience
    >> with Perl in a web environment.
    >>
    >> A question I have, if someone here is familiar with Perl, does Python
    >> have something like Perl's 'here document'? I've just searched and read
    >> some postings on generating HTML but they all seem to refer to various
    >> template utilities. Is this the only way, or am I missing something? I'm
    >> used to generating X/HTML by hand, which makes the here document in Perl
    >> ideal for me. Also, many times a client already existing HTML code that
    >> I can use in a script.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Amer Neely
    >> w:www.webmechanic.softouch.on.ca/
    >> Perl | MySQL programming for all data entry forms.
    >> "Others make web sites. We make web sites work!"

    > I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but Python has a
    > special string with 3 quotes that I believe duplicates part of the
    > functionality of a here document:
    >
    > myHmtlHeader = """
    > <head attribute = "abc">
    > <title>My Page</title>
    > </head>
    > """
    >
    > print myHtmlHeader
    >

    > outputs:
    >

    > <head attribute="abc">
    > <title>My Page</title>
    > </head>

    Yep, I think that is the way I will have to go. Thanks.

    --
    Amer Neely
    Amer Neely, Sep 13, 2007
  6. Amer Neely

    Ben Finney Guest

    Amer Neely <> writes:

    > print <<EndHTML;
    > Hello
    > EndHTML

    The equivalent in Python would be::

    print """
    Hello
    """

    You can even use Python's standard textwrap module to indent your code
    properly::

    import textwrap

    def foo(bar):
    if baz:
    print textwrap.dedent("""
    Hello
    """)

    The 'textwrap.dedent' function strips *common* leading whitespace from
    all lines in the string, so in the above example the resulting string
    will be as though the original string were typed flush to the left
    margin.

    See 'help(textwrap.dedent)' for what that function does, or read it
    online <URL:http://docs.python.org/lib/module-textwrap>.

    --
    \ "Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, |
    `\ nations and ages it is the rule." -- Friedrich Nietzsche |
    Ben Finney, Sep 13, 2007
  7. > On Behalf Of Amer Neely
    > I saw that and I guess that is the closest thing. In Perl I can do ..
    >
    > print <<EndHTML;
    > Hello
    > EndHTML

    >>> data = dict(title="Python Rocks!",

    content="<p>I heart Python</p>")
    >>> template = """<html>

    <head>
    <title>%(title)s</title>
    </head>
    %(content)s
    >>> print template % data

    <head>
    <title>Python Rocks!</title>
    </head>

    You might also want to check out string.Template
    (http://docs.python.org/lib/node40.html), or even move on to one of the
    many, many templating languages (Mako, Cheetah, Kid, etc.)

    Regards,
    Ryan Ginstrom
    Ryan Ginstrom, Sep 13, 2007
  8. Amer Neely

    Amer Neely Guest

    TheFlyingDutchman wrote:
    > On Sep 12, 5:30 pm, Amer Neely <> wrote:
    >> I'm a complete newbie with Python, but have several years experience
    >> with Perl in a web environment.
    >>
    >> A question I have, if someone here is familiar with Perl, does Python
    >> have something like Perl's 'here document'? I've just searched and read
    >> some postings on generating HTML but they all seem to refer to various
    >> template utilities. Is this the only way, or am I missing something? I'm
    >> used to generating X/HTML by hand, which makes the here document in Perl
    >> ideal for me. Also, many times a client already existing HTML code that
    >> I can use in a script.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Amer Neely
    >> w:www.webmechanic.softouch.on.ca/
    >> Perl | MySQL programming for all data entry forms.
    >> "Others make web sites. We make web sites work!"

    > I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but Python has a
    > special string with 3 quotes that I believe duplicates part of the
    > functionality of a here document:
    >
    > myHmtlHeader = """
    > <head attribute = "abc">
    > <title>My Page</title>
    > </head>
    > """
    >
    > print myHtmlHeader
    >

    > outputs:
    >

    > <head attribute="abc">
    > <title>My Page</title>
    > </head>

    Well, I have checked everything I can but I'm getting '500 Internal
    Server Error'. The log files aren't helpful:
    [Thu Sep 13 03:43:00 2007] [error] [client 24.235.184.39] Premature end
    of script headers: /home/softouch/public_html/cgi-bin/scratch/hello.py

    I can't even get it to run on my home PC running Apache + Win2K. Same error.

    My script:
    #!/usr/bin/python
    import cgitb; cgitb.enable(display=0, logdir=".")
    import sys
    sys.stderr = sys.stdout
    print "Content-Type: text/html"
    print

    print """
    from Python</font></div>
    Goodbye.
    """

    --
    Amer Neely
    Amer Neely, Sep 13, 2007
  9. Amer Neely

    Amer Neely Guest

    Amer Neely wrote:
    > TheFlyingDutchman wrote:
    >> On Sep 12, 5:30 pm, Amer Neely <> wrote:
    >>> I'm a complete newbie with Python, but have several years experience
    >>> with Perl in a web environment.
    >>>
    >>> A question I have, if someone here is familiar with Perl, does Python
    >>> have something like Perl's 'here document'? I've just searched and read
    >>> some postings on generating HTML but they all seem to refer to various
    >>> template utilities. Is this the only way, or am I missing something? I'm
    >>> used to generating X/HTML by hand, which makes the here document in Perl
    >>> ideal for me. Also, many times a client already existing HTML code that
    >>> I can use in a script.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Amer Neely
    >>> w:www.webmechanic.softouch.on.ca/
    >>> Perl | MySQL programming for all data entry forms.
    >>> "Others make web sites. We make web sites work!"

    >> I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but Python has a
    >> special string with 3 quotes that I believe duplicates part of the
    >> functionality of a here document:
    >>
    >> myHmtlHeader = """
    >> <head attribute = "abc">
    >> <title>My Page</title>
    >> </head>
    >> """
    >>
    >> print myHtmlHeader
    >>

    >> outputs:
    >>

    >> <head attribute="abc">
    >> <title>My Page</title>
    >> </head>
    >>

    > Well, I have checked everything I can but I'm getting '500 Internal
    > Server Error'. The log files aren't helpful:
    > [Thu Sep 13 03:43:00 2007] [error] [client 24.235.184.39] Premature end
    > of script headers: /home/softouch/public_html/cgi-bin/scratch/hello.py
    >
    > I can't even get it to run on my home PC running Apache + Win2K. Same
    > error.
    >
    > My script:
    > #!/usr/bin/python
    > import cgitb; cgitb.enable(display=0, logdir=".")
    > import sys
    > sys.stderr = sys.stdout
    > print "Content-Type: text/html"
    > print
    >
    > print """
    > from Python</font></div>
    > Goodbye.
    > """

    I should have added that it runs from the command line OK.

    --
    Amer Neely
    Amer Neely, Sep 13, 2007
  10. Amer Neely

    Ben Finney Guest

    Amer Neely <> writes:

    > Well, I have checked everything I can but I'm getting '500 Internal
    > Server Error'.

    This is the HTTP response code saying that the program that should
    have served the response document instead exited with an error.

    To debug, you should first run the program (or at least the part that
    you're trying to implement) *outside* the context of a web server. Do
    it at a command line, and any errors will show up as exception
    tracebacks.

    Only when you have something that performs correctly outside a web
    server context should you consider how to wrap it in that new
    (harder-to-debug) context.

    --
    \ "What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?" —anonymous |
    `\ |
    Ben Finney, Sep 13, 2007
  11. Amer Neely

    Amer Neely Guest

    Ben Finney wrote:
    > Amer Neely <> writes:
    >
    >> Well, I have checked everything I can but I'm getting '500 Internal
    >> Server Error'.

    > This is the HTTP response code saying that the program that should
    > have served the response document instead exited with an error.
    >
    > To debug, you should first run the program (or at least the part that
    > you're trying to implement) *outside* the context of a web server. Do
    > it at a command line, and any errors will show up as exception
    > tracebacks.
    >
    > Only when you have something that performs correctly outside a web
    > server context should you consider how to wrap it in that new
    > (harder-to-debug) context.

    That is where I'm stuck. It runs fine on my home computer, but I don't
    have shell access to my hosted site.

    Can you or anyone see anything in the posted code that might be the
    cause? Why is it so much harder to debug? There is no syntax error that
    I can tell. I've set the file permissions to rwxr-xr-x. I've printed the
    correct content type. It's a simple print statement, as per several
    examples I've seen.

    Is it an Apache thing? I've not seen any mention in the documentation on
    that.

    --
    Amer Neely
    Amer Neely, Sep 13, 2007
  12. [Amer]
    > Can you or anyone see anything in the posted code that might be the
    > cause?

    > #!/usr/bin/python
    > import cgitb; cgitb.enable(display=0, logdir=".")
    > import sys
    > sys.stderr = sys.stdout
    > print "Content-Type: text/html"
    > print

    My guess would be that you don't have cgitb in your server environment, or
    that you have a bogus one. Rearrange things like this:

    #!/usr/bin/python
    print "Content-Type: text/html"
    print
    import sys
    sys.stderr = sys.stdout
    import cgitb; cgitb.enable(display=0, logdir=".")

    --
    Richie Hindle
    Richie Hindle, Sep 13, 2007
  13. My first Python CGI (was: Coming from Perl)

    In article <2b6Gi.222$>,
    Amer Neely <> wrote:
    >Amer Neely wrote:
    >> TheFlyingDutchman wrote:

    >>> I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but Python has a
    >>> special string with 3 quotes that I believe duplicates part of the
    >>> functionality of a here document:
    >>>
    >>> myHmtlHeader = """
    >>> <head attribute = "abc">
    >>> <title>My Page</title>
    >>> </head>
    >>> """
    >>>
    >>> print myHtmlHeader
    >>>

    >>> outputs:
    >>>

    >>> <head attribute="abc">
    >>> <title>My Page</title>
    >>> </head>
    >>>

    >> Well, I have checked everything I can but I'm getting '500 Internal
    >> Server Error'. The log files aren't helpful:
    >> [Thu Sep 13 03:43:00 2007] [error] [client 24.235.184.39] Premature end
    >> of script headers: /home/softouch/public_html/cgi-bin/scratch/hello.py
    >>
    >> I can't even get it to run on my home PC running Apache + Win2K. Same
    >> error.
    >>
    >> My script:
    >> #!/usr/bin/python
    >> import cgitb; cgitb.enable(display=0, logdir=".")
    >> import sys
    >> sys.stderr = sys.stdout
    >> print "Content-Type: text/html"
    >> print
    >>
    >> print """
    >> from Python</font></div>
    >> Goodbye.
    >> """
    >>

    >I should have added that it runs from the command line OK.

    .
    .
    .
    Yes, it should work fine. Do the things you'd do if it were Perl source:
    when you say "it runs from the command line OK", do you mean invocation of
    /home/softouch/public_html/cgi-bin/scratch/hello.py gives sensible results?
    Does your Web server recognize that .py is a CGI extension? What are the
    permissions on /home/softouch/public_html/cgi-bin/scratch/hello.py?

    Might your server have an issue with "Content-Type" vs. "Content-type"?
    Cameron Laird, Sep 13, 2007
  14. Amer Neely

    Amer Neely Guest

    Richie Hindle wrote:
    > [Amer]
    >> Can you or anyone see anything in the posted code that might be the
    >> cause?

    >> #!/usr/bin/python
    >> import cgitb; cgitb.enable(display=0, logdir=".")
    >> import sys
    >> sys.stderr = sys.stdout
    >> print "Content-Type: text/html"
    >> print

    > My guess would be that you don't have cgitb in your server environment, or
    > that you have a bogus one. Rearrange things like this:
    >
    > #!/usr/bin/python
    > print "Content-Type: text/html"
    > print
    > import sys
    > sys.stderr = sys.stdout
    > import cgitb; cgitb.enable(display=0, logdir=".")

    Nope. Same error. Is cgitb not in the standard distribution? Is it
    needed to print HTML?

    On my home PC I changed the Apache error logging to 'debug' and got this
    nugget:
    [Thu Sep 13 04:16:03 2007] [error] [client 0.0.0.0] (OS 2)The system
    cannot find the file specified. : couldn't create child process:
    720002: hello.py

    I suspect it would be similar on my hosting server. Is this saying it
    can't find hello.py or one of the modules?

    --
    Amer Neely
    Amer Neely, Sep 13, 2007

  15. > [Amer]
    > #!/usr/bin/python
    > [...] On my home PC [...]
    > [Thu Sep 13 04:16:03 2007] [error] [client 0.0.0.0] (OS 2)The system
    > cannot find the file specified.

    That's because on your home PC Python is somewhere like
    C:\Python25\python.exe, not /usr/bin/python.

    Are you sure /usr/bin/python is correct for your hosting environment?

    --
    Richie Hindle
    Richie Hindle, Sep 13, 2007
  16. Amer Neely

    Amer Neely Guest

    Richie Hindle wrote:
    >> [Amer]
    >> #!/usr/bin/python
    >> [...] On my home PC [...]
    >> [Thu Sep 13 04:16:03 2007] [error] [client 0.0.0.0] (OS 2)The system
    >> cannot find the file specified.

    > That's because on your home PC Python is somewhere like
    > C:\Python25\python.exe, not /usr/bin/python.
    >
    > Are you sure /usr/bin/python is correct for your hosting environment?

    It's my understanding that the Windows shell doesn't pay much attention
    to the shebang line if the file type is associated with the proper
    application.

    But I tried your suggestion and got the same results.

    --
    Amer Neely
    Amer Neely, Sep 13, 2007
  17. Amer Neely

    Amer Neely Guest

    Amer Neely wrote:
    > Richie Hindle wrote:
    >>> [Amer]
    >>> #!/usr/bin/python
    >>> [...] On my home PC [...]
    >>> [Thu Sep 13 04:16:03 2007] [error] [client 0.0.0.0] (OS 2)The system
    >>> cannot find the file specified.

    >> That's because on your home PC Python is somewhere like
    >> C:\Python25\python.exe, not /usr/bin/python.
    >>
    >> Are you sure /usr/bin/python is correct for your hosting environment?
    >>

    > It's my understanding that the Windows shell doesn't pay much attention
    > to the shebang line if the file type is associated with the proper
    > application.
    >
    > But I tried your suggestion and got the same results.

    My BAD! I changed the shebang all right, but entered a typo. With the
    correct path it did work just fine.

    So, perhaps the path to python on my host is wrong? I got that one right
    from the techs.

    --
    Amer Neely
    Amer Neely, Sep 13, 2007
  18. Amer Neely

    Tim Golden Guest

    Amer Neely wrote:
    > Richie Hindle wrote:
    >>> [Amer]
    >>> #!/usr/bin/python
    >>> [...] On my home PC [...]
    >>> [Thu Sep 13 04:16:03 2007] [error] [client 0.0.0.0] (OS 2)The system
    >>> cannot find the file specified.

    >> That's because on your home PC Python is somewhere like
    >> C:\Python25\python.exe, not /usr/bin/python.
    >>
    >> Are you sure /usr/bin/python is correct for your hosting environment?
    >>

    > It's my understanding that the Windows shell doesn't pay much attention
    > to the shebang line if the file type is associated with the proper
    > application.
    >
    > But I tried your suggestion and got the same results.

    The Windows shell doesn't, but Apache does. (Haven't followed
    this thread closely, but I seem to remember it has to do with
    running CGI scripts).

    TJG
    Tim Golden, Sep 13, 2007
  19. Amer Neely

    Amer Neely Guest

    Tim Golden wrote:
    >>> That's because on your home PC Python is somewhere like
    >>> C:\Python25\python.exe, not /usr/bin/python.
    >>>
    >>> Are you sure /usr/bin/python is correct for your hosting environment?
    >>>

    >> It's my understanding that the Windows shell doesn't pay much
    >> attention to the shebang line if the file type is associated with the
    >> proper application.
    >>
    >> But I tried your suggestion and got the same results.

    See my reply to this post - I had a typo in the shebang line and it now
    works on my home PC.

    > The Windows shell doesn't, but Apache does. (Haven't followed
    > this thread closely, but I seem to remember it has to do with
    > running CGI scripts).

    This seems to indicate that maybe my host needs to configure Apache to
    run python scripts? But I didn't need to do anything with mine.

    --
    Amer Neely
    Amer Neely, Sep 13, 2007
  20. Amer Neely

    Paddy Guest

    On Sep 13, 1:30 am, Amer Neely <> wrote:
    > I'm a complete newbie with Python, but have several years experience
    > with Perl in a web environment.
    >
    > A question I have, if someone here is familiar with Perl, does Python
    > have something like Perl's 'here document'? I've just searched and read
    > some postings on generating HTML but they all seem to refer to various
    > template utilities. Is this the only way, or am I missing something? I'm
    > used to generating X/HTML by hand, which makes the here document in Perl
    > ideal for me. Also, many times a client already existing HTML code that
    > I can use in a script.
    >
    > --
    > Amer Neely
    > w:www.webmechanic.softouch.on.ca/
    > Perl | MySQL programming for all data entry forms.
    > "Others make web sites. We make web sites work!"

    Hi Amer,
    Just as an aside, you might find this helpful:
    http://wiki.python.org/moin/PerlPhrasebook
    It has perl code with python equivalents/notes.

    - Paddy.
    Paddy, Sep 13, 2007