    I missing something?
    VS2008
    Thanks

    AMP, Jan 3, 2010

  2. AMP

    Patrice Guest

    Ultimately it does create code. Generally designers are using data files so
    that you can use the designer to tweak whatever you want at will. Then it
    creates code from those data as a <name>.designer.<language> file and you
    can customize this code. You should have a "view all files" icon to show the
    generated code. Note that your own code will go in another file so thart you
    don't loose what you coded when the generated file is recreated.

    If you really wish you could hand type the same code but I'm not sure which
    benefit you'll get.

    Note thought that it's been a long time since I used strongley typed dataset
    (I always feel it were a half backed solution, currently I prefer Linq to
    SQL or EF which also have a designer and that also have generated code and
    that also allows to customize in a seperate code file)

    --
    Patrice

    Patrice, Jan 3, 2010

  3. AMP

    AMP Guest

    On Jan 3, 4:22 pm, "Patrice" <http://scribe-en.blogspot.com/> wrote:
    > Ultimately it does create code. Generally designers are using data files so
    > that you can use the designer to tweak whatever you want at will. Then it
    > creates code from those data as a <name>.designer.<language> file and you
    > can customize this code. You should have a "view all files" icon to show the
    > generated code. Note that your own code will go in another file so thart you
    > don't loose what you coded when the generated file is recreated.
    >
    > If you really wish you could hand type the same code but I'm not sure which
    > benefit you'll get.
    >
    > Note thought that it's been a long time since I used strongley typed dataset
    > (I always feel it were a half backed solution, currently I prefer Linq to
    > SQL or EF which also have a designer and that also have generated code and
    > that also allows to customize in a seperate code file)
    >
    > --
    > Patrice
    >
    > "AMP" <> a crit dans le message denews:...
    >

    > > There doesnt seem to be a way of creating paramaterized commands with
    > > the click of a button by adding a Connection control and Command
    > > control like there is with a windows forms application.
    > > I dont want to create a xsd file, I'd like all my code in a class. Am
    > > I missing something?
    > > VS2008
    > > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

    So the xsd file is just a link between the Visual Designers and the
    underlying code?
    Where is the code? I thought I saw it in a temp file somewhere?
    If I have this all wrong, maybe you could explain it.
    Thanks

    AMP, Jan 3, 2010
  4. AMP

    Patrice Guest

    >> Where is the code? I thought I saw it in a temp file somewhere?

    I don't even have to use the "Show All Files" button. If I create a strongly
    typed dataset I can see the DataSet1.Designer.cs file under the DataSet1.xsd
    node. Don't you see that ?

    Note that this is a partial class
    (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wa80x488(VS.80).aspx). So if you
    are using "View Code" in the context menu, you'll see a new DataSet1.cs file
    under the DataSet1.Designer.cs file where your own code can go. If needed
    you can also inherit from this class and add your own infrastructure...

    --
    Patrice

    Patrice, Jan 4, 2010
  5. AMP

    coder316 Guest

    On Jan 4, 9:31 am, "Patrice" <http://scribe-en.blogspot.com/> wrote:
    > >> Where is the code? I thought I saw it in a temp file somewhere?

    > I don't even have to use the "Show All Files" button. If I create a strongly
    > typed dataset I can see the DataSet1.Designer.cs file under the DataSet1.xsd
    > node. Don't you see that ?
    >
    > Note that this is a partial class
    > (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wa80x488(VS.80).aspx). So if you
    > are using "View Code" in the context menu, you'll see a new DataSet1.cs file
    > under the DataSet1.Designer.cs file where your own code can go.  If needed
    > you can also inherit from this class and add your own infrastructure...
    >
    > --
    > Patrice

    No, I just have a .xss file under the .xsd
    NewUser.xsd
    NewUser.xss

    coder316, Jan 4, 2010
  6. AMP

    coder316 Guest

    On Jan 4, 10:40 am, coder316 <> wrote:

    > > I don't even have to use the "Show All Files" button. If I create a strongly
    > > typed dataset I can see the DataSet1.Designer.cs file under the DataSet1.xsd
    > > node. Don't you see that ?

    > > Note that this is a partial class
    > > (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wa80x488(VS.80).aspx). So if you
    > > are using "View Code" in the context menu, you'll see a new DataSet1.cs file
    > > under the DataSet1.Designer.cs file where your own code can go.  If needed
    > > you can also inherit from this class and add your own infrastructure...

    > > --
    > > Patrice

    > No, I just have a .xss file under the .xsd
    > NewUser.xsd
    >     NewUser.xss

    I do have a partial screen shot I could show you:
    http://ampsoft.com/dataset.jpg

    coder316, Jan 4, 2010
  7. AMP

    coder316 Guest

    > > I don't even have to use the "Show All Files" button. If I create a strongly
    > > typed dataset I can see the DataSet1.Designer.cs file under the DataSet1.xsd
    > > node. Don't you see that ?

    > > Note that this is a partial class
    > > (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wa80x488(VS.80).aspx). So if you
    > > are using "View Code" in the context menu, you'll see a new DataSet1.cs file
    > > under the DataSet1.Designer.cs file where your own code can go.  If needed
    > > you can also inherit from this class and add your own infrastructure...

    > > --
    > > Patrice

    > No, I just have a .xss file under the .xsd
    > NewUser.xsd
    >     NewUser.xss

    xsd.exe was not installed.

    coder316, Jan 4, 2010
  8. AMP

    coder316 Guest

    On Jan 4, 12:28 pm, coder316 <> wrote:

    > > > I don't even have to use the "Show All Files" button. If I create a strongly
    > > > typed dataset I can see the DataSet1.Designer.cs file under the DataSet1.xsd
    > > > node. Don't you see that ?

    > > > Note that this is a partial class
    > > > (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wa80x488(VS.80).aspx). So if you
    > > > are using "View Code" in the context menu, you'll see a new DataSet1.cs file
    > > > under the DataSet1.Designer.cs file where your own code can go.  If needed
    > > > you can also inherit from this class and add your own infrastructure....

    > > > --
    > > > Patrice

    > > No, I just have a .xss file under the .xsd
    > > NewUser.xsd
    > >     NewUser.xss

    > xsd.exe was not installed.- Hide quoted text -

    I'm back.
    I cant seem to find out how to install the custom tool to create
    the .cs file from a xsd file.
    HELP!!

    coder316, Jan 4, 2010
  9. AMP

    Patrice Guest

    > I'm back.
    > I cant seem to find out how to install the custom tool to create
    > the .cs file from a xsd file.
    > HELP!!

    Here xsd.exe is installed in the SDK directory. It's really weird through
    this is not installed, this port should be very likely installed with the
    base product. What if you resintall your VS product ?

    --
    Patrice

    Patrice, Jan 4, 2010
  10. AMP

    coder316 Guest

    On Jan 4, 1:34 pm, "Patrice" <http://scribe-en.blogspot.com/> wrote:
    > > I'm back.
    > > I cant seem to find out how to install the custom tool to create
    > > the .cs file from a xsd file.
    > > HELP!!

    > Here xsd.exe is installed in the SDK directory. It's really weird through
    > this is not installed, this port should be very likely installed with the
    > base product. What if you resintall your VS product ?
    >
    > --
    > Patrice

    I am going to try that tomorrow and post it.

    coder316, Jan 4, 2010