command history broken in Python2.3 ?

Nicola Mingotti

Hello ,

I'm tring Python 2.3 ( on source and binary distribution ,
on Linux and Windows ) and i think
the command history doesn't work .

When i use the Up-Arrow in Python2.3
started in an xterm i get '^[[A' .
In IDLE under Windows using Alt-p produce nothig .
In IDLE under Linux Alt-p works !! .

Do you have the same behavior in you
interpreter ?

Bye .

(p.s. please forgive english mistakes )

vincent wehren

Nicola said:
Hello ,

I'm tring Python 2.3 ( on source and binary distribution ,
on Linux and Windows ) and i think
the command history doesn't work .

When i use the Up-Arrow in Python2.3
started in an xterm i get '^[[A' .
In IDLE under Windows using Alt-p produce nothig .
In IDLE under Linux Alt-p works !! .

Do you have the same behavior in you
interpreter ?

Bye .

(p.s. please forgive english mistakes )

Just installed 2.3 final release on Linux
Same problem here...

Vincent Wehren

Martin v. =?iso-8859-15?q?L=F6wis?=

Nicola Mingotti said:
When i use the Up-Arrow in Python2.3
started in an xterm i get '^[[A' .
In IDLE under Windows using Alt-p produce nothig .
In IDLE under Linux Alt-p works !! .

Do you have the same behavior in you
interpreter ?

Can you determine whether the readline module was built (import
readline)?

Regards,
Martin

John J. Lee

- readline module (or maybe incorrectly picked termlib instead of
+ readline library (or maybe incorrectly picked termlib instead of

John

Nicola Mingotti

.... I hadn't installed two C libraries that were needed :
'readline' and 'termcap' . After installing them i re-configured/compiled
python and now commands history works fine .
But under windows , where i have only the binary version
at hands , the problem remains ...

bye .

Nico

Alex Martelli

Nicola said:
... I hadn't installed two C libraries that were needed :
'readline' and 'termcap' . After installing them i re-configured/compiled
python and now commands history works fine .
But under windows , where i have only the binary version
at hands , the problem remains ...

Have you tried installing Gonnerman's "Alternative Readline",
http://newcenturycomputers.net/projects/readline.html ? I have
found it extremely useful to gain the gist of readline's
functionality on Windows installatons of Python.

Alex

Syver Enstad

Alex Martelli said:
Have you tried installing Gonnerman's "Alternative Readline",
http://newcenturycomputers.net/projects/readline.html ? I have
found it extremely useful to gain the gist of readline's
functionality on Windows installatons of Python.

Ehemm... How do you use readline? What should it do?

Does it work on 2.3? I tried installing but the readline function had
a different function prototype so I guess it doesn't work.

Chris Gonnerman

Ehemm... How do you use readline? What should it do?

Does it work on 2.3? I tried installing but the readline function had
a different function prototype so I guess it doesn't work.

I don't have a version for 2.3 yet. Give me time, and
I'll get it built (after I download the 2.3 installer and
build a MinGW32 import library for it).

Chris Gonnerman -- (e-mail address removed)
http://newcenturycomputers.net