    interpreter ?

    Bye .

    (p.s. please forgive english mistakes )
    Nicola Mingotti, Aug 3, 2003

  2. Nicola Mingotti wrote:

    > Hello ,
    >
    > I'm tring Python 2.3 ( on source and binary distribution ,
    > on Linux and Windows ) and i think
    > the command history doesn't work .
    >
    > When i use the Up-Arrow in Python2.3
    > started in an xterm i get '^[[A' .
    > In IDLE under Windows using Alt-p produce nothig .
    > In IDLE under Linux Alt-p works !! .
    >
    > Do you have the same behavior in you
    > interpreter ?
    >
    > Bye .
    >
    > (p.s. please forgive english mistakes )

    Just installed 2.3 final release on Linux
    Same problem here...

    Vincent Wehren
    vincent wehren, Aug 3, 2003

  3. Nicola Mingotti <> writes:

    > When i use the Up-Arrow in Python2.3
    > started in an xterm i get '^[[A' .
    > In IDLE under Windows using Alt-p produce nothig .
    > In IDLE under Linux Alt-p works !! .
    >
    > Do you have the same behavior in you
    > interpreter ?

    Can you determine whether the readline module was built (import
    readline)?

    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin v. =?iso-8859-15?q?L=F6wis?=, Aug 3, 2003
  4. Nicola Mingotti

    John J. Lee Guest

    - readline module (or maybe incorrectly picked termlib instead of
    + readline library (or maybe incorrectly picked termlib instead of

    John
    John J. Lee, Aug 3, 2003
  5. Re: command -- It works , on linux

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 17:35:31 +0200, Nicola Mingotti wrote:

    > Hello ,
    >
    >> ... John and Martin spoke of termcap and readline ... there it was :)

    .... I hadn't installed two C libraries that were needed :
    'readline' and 'termcap' . After installing them i re-configured/compiled
    python and now commands history works fine .
    But under windows , where i have only the binary version
    at hands , the problem remains ...

    bye .

    Nico
    Nicola Mingotti, Aug 3, 2003
  6. Re: command -- It works , on linux

    Nicola Mingotti wrote:

    > On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 17:35:31 +0200, Nicola Mingotti wrote:
    >
    >> Hello ,
    >>
    >>> ... John and Martin spoke of termcap and readline ... there it was :)

    > ... I hadn't installed two C libraries that were needed :
    > 'readline' and 'termcap' . After installing them i re-configured/compiled
    > python and now commands history works fine .
    > But under windows , where i have only the binary version
    > at hands , the problem remains ...

    Have you tried installing Gonnerman's "Alternative Readline",
    http://newcenturycomputers.net/projects/readline.html ? I have
    found it extremely useful to gain the gist of readline's
    functionality on Windows installatons of Python.

    Alex
    Alex Martelli, Aug 4, 2003
  7. Nicola Mingotti

    Guest

    Re: command -- It works , on linux

    Readline for Python on Windows, get it here....

    http://ipython.scipy.org/dist/PyReadlineWin32-4.0p22.tar.gz

    You will need the mingw compiler to build it I seem to remember. It
    works like a charm.

    Sean
    | All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new |
    | and improved ways of spelling old words. |
    , Aug 4, 2003
  8. Re: command -- It works , on linux

    On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 09:54:28 +0200, Alex Martelli wrote:

    > Have you tried installing Gonnerman's "Alternative Readline",
    > http://newcenturycomputers.net/projects/readline.html ? I have found it
    > extremely useful to gain the gist of readline's functionality on Windows
    > installatons of Python.
    > -- Alex

    yes , only now , and it works .

    thank you .
    bye.
    Nicola Mingotti, Aug 5, 2003
  9. Nicola Mingotti

    Syver Enstad Guest

    Re: command -- It works , on linux

    Alex Martelli <> writes:

    > Have you tried installing Gonnerman's "Alternative Readline",
    > http://newcenturycomputers.net/projects/readline.html ? I have
    > found it extremely useful to gain the gist of readline's
    > functionality on Windows installatons of Python.

    Ehemm... How do you use readline? What should it do?

    Does it work on 2.3? I tried installing but the readline function had
    a different function prototype so I guess it doesn't work.

    --

    Vennlig hilsen

    Syver Enstad
    Syver Enstad, Aug 5, 2003
  10. Re: [Python] Re: command -- It works , on linux

    > > Have you tried installing Gonnerman's "Alternative Readline",
    > > http://newcenturycomputers.net/projects/readline.html ? I have
    > > found it extremely useful to gain the gist of readline's
    > > functionality on Windows installatons of Python.

    > Ehemm... How do you use readline? What should it do?
    >
    > Does it work on 2.3? I tried installing but the readline function had
    > a different function prototype so I guess it doesn't work.

    I don't have a version for 2.3 yet. Give me time, and
    I'll get it built (after I download the 2.3 installer and
    build a MinGW32 import library for it).

    Chris Gonnerman --
    http://newcenturycomputers.net
    Chris Gonnerman, Aug 6, 2003