    happy Guest

    I need to download Command line C compiler ASAP ? Where can I find the
    latest and moden one ?

    happy, Dec 17, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    happy <> wrote:
    >I need to download Command line C compiler ASAP ? Where can I find the
    >latest and moden one ?

    Have a look at:

    http://gcc.gnu.org/

    --
    Rouben Rostamian

    Rouben Rostamian, Dec 17, 2004

  3. happy

    Roger Leigh Guest

    Roger Leigh, Dec 17, 2004
  4. happy

    James Rafter Guest

    happy wrote:
    > I need to download Command line C compiler ASAP ? Where can I find

    the
    > latest and moden one ?

    Not sure what you mean by a command line C compiler. Any C compiler,
    I would hope, could be invoked from the command line. I use Visual
    C++ 7.0 from the command line (driven from a make file) because it's
    easier to move projects to other platforms that way.

    I'm sure there's a C only (as opposed to C++) option. But others can
    correct me if I'm wrong.

    If you do a search in this forum there were suggestion on how to
    download a slightly older VC compiler for free. Perhaps the thread
    was in comp.lang.c++?

    This is not an endorsement but just another path you may wish to
    consider.

    James Rafter, Dec 17, 2004
  5. happy

    gel Guest

    gel, Dec 18, 2004
  6. happy

    Richard Bos Guest

    Roger Leigh <${roger}@invalid.whinlatter.uklinux.net.invalid> wrote:

    > "happy" <> writes:
    >
    > > I need to download Command line C compiler ASAP ? Where can I find the
    > > latest and moden one ?

    > Didn't your system come with one? cc, c89, c99 and gcc are common
    > names (my system provides all of these).

    Not likely. The OP assumed that everybody would know what system he has
    (probably because he doesn't even consider the possibility of other
    systems' existence), which means that it is highly likely that he is on
    some kind of M$ Windows. M$ OSes don't come with C compilers. You need
    to download one.
    I recommend Dev-C++, which comes with GCC and MingW. The interface is
    not perfect (in particular, it has some quirks which make me think that
    its programmers are more used to some other windowing manager), but
    quite sufficient for my purposes, and GCC can be used from the command
    line. It can be found at <http://www.bloodshed.net/>.

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Dec 20, 2004
  7. On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 12:24:02 GMT, in comp.lang.c ,
    (Richard Bos) wrote:

    >Roger Leigh <${roger}@invalid.whinlatter.uklinux.net.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> "happy" <> writes:
    >>
    >> > I need to download Command line C compiler ASAP ? Where can I find the
    >> > latest and moden one ?

    >> Didn't your system come with one? cc, c89, c99 and gcc are common
    >> names (my system provides all of these).

    >I recommend Dev-C++, which comes with GCC and MingW.

    gcc can be downloaded very easily (IMHO) via the cygwin downloader, which
    lets you pick the bits you want and minimise extras. At the least you'll
    want make and other commandline tools from the *nix set, which cygwin gives
    you.

    --
    Mark McIntyre

    Mark McIntyre, Dec 20, 2004
  8. happy

    Richard Bos Guest

    Mark McIntyre <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 12:24:02 GMT, in comp.lang.c ,
    > (Richard Bos) wrote:
    >
    > >Roger Leigh <${roger}@invalid.whinlatter.uklinux.net.invalid> wrote:

    > >> Didn't your system come with one? cc, c89, c99 and gcc are common
    > >> names (my system provides all of these).

    > >I recommend Dev-C++, which comes with GCC and MingW.

    > gcc can be downloaded very easily (IMHO) via the cygwin downloader, which
    > lets you pick the bits you want and minimise extras. At the least you'll
    > want make and other commandline tools from the *nix set, which cygwin gives
    > you.

    Dev-C++ is (or at least, can be) a single download, and also comes with
    make, ar, and so forth. Not with ls and similar, though.

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Dec 21, 2004
  9. happy

    Bart C Guest

    "Richard Bos" <> wrote in message

    > Dev-C++ is (or at least, can be) a single download, and also comes with
    > make, ar, and so forth. Not with ls and similar, though.

    I downloaded dev-c++ on Richards recommendation and the gcc compiler worked
    well first time. You can ignore the IDE that comes with it. Starting with
    http://gcc.gnu.org is rather more involved.

    It compiled some code that had thwarted 3 other free compilers.

    Bart

    Bart C, Dec 21, 2004
  10. happy

    Richard Bos Guest

    "Bart C" <> wrote:

    > "Richard Bos" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > Dev-C++ is (or at least, can be) a single download, and also comes with
    > > make, ar, and so forth. Not with ls and similar, though.

    > I downloaded dev-c++ on Richards recommendation and the gcc compiler worked
    > well first time.

    Glad to hear it.

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Dec 22, 2004