Command-line HTML Post-method (medline in lynx)

Discussion in 'HTML' started by vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com, Nov 20, 2004.

  1. Guest

    I am trying to write a unix proc that will pass my search terms to
    a search engine that uses post-method. I don't really understand how
    post works. Below is my attempt (I manually wrapped the one line proc
    into sep lines for display purposes):

    medline () { SRCH=`echo $* | sed -e 's/ /+/g'`; lynx -post_data
    -accept_all_cookies 'http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/htbin-post
    /Entrez/query_old?form=4&title=no&term='$SRCH'&submit=Search
    &field=All+++++++++++++++++++Fields&mode=Automatic&relpubdate
    =No+Limit&dispmax=100+&Dopt=d';}

    Much obliged in advance for any help.

    - = -
    Vasos-Peter John Panagiotopoulos II, Columbia'81+, Bio$trategist
    BachMozart ReaganQuayle EvrytanoKastorian
    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
    [Health Reform means abolishing FDR's insurance tax exemption]
    [To stop SPAM, Charge net-postage] [Abolish 16th (Inc Tx) Amendment]

    , Nov 20, 2004

  2. Matt Garrish Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I am trying to write a unix proc that will pass my search terms to
    > a search engine that uses post-method. I don't really understand how
    > post works. Below is my attempt (I manually wrapped the one line proc
    > into sep lines for display purposes):

    Since you crossposted to a Perl newsgroup:

    http://search.cpan.org/~gaas/libwww-perl-5.801/lwpcook.pod#POST

    Matt

    Matt Garrish, Nov 20, 2004

  3. [ Followups set ]

    <> wrote:
    > I am trying to write a unix proc that will pass my search terms to
    > a search engine that uses post-method. I don't really understand how
    > post works. Below is my attempt (I manually wrapped the one line proc
    > into sep lines for display purposes):
    >
    > medline () { SRCH=`echo $* | sed -e 's/ /+/g'`; lynx -post_data
    > -accept_all_cookies 'http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/htbin-post
    > /Entrez/query_old?form=4&title=no&term='$SRCH'&submit=Search
    > &field=All+++++++++++++++++++Fields&mode=Automatic&relpubdate
    > =No+Limit&dispmax=100+&Dopt=d';}

    What is your Perl question?

    What is your HTML question?

    What is your browser question?

    What is your Unix question?

    I see only an implied question of "how does POST work?", which is
    independant of programming language, markup language, client
    software and operating system.

    ie. it is off-topic in each of the newsgroups you posted to.

    > Much obliged in advance for any help.

    You should perhaps work on better partitioning your problem as
    you seem to be casting about in several wrong arenas.

    I'm not sure where "how does the web work" questions should
    be posted, maybe comp.infosystems.www.misc I guess?

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming

  5. John Bokma Guest

    John Bokma, Nov 22, 2004
  6. rf Guest

    > I found the groups I posted to by searching groups.google.com for html
    > and "post method". The replies obtained were positively unAmerican.

    Possible because the vast majority or people in the world are not American.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Nov 22, 2004
  7. Alan Connor Guest

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 07:22:19 GMT, rf <rf@.> wrote:

    >> I found the groups I posted to by searching groups.google.com
    >> for html and "post method". The replies obtained were
    >> positively unAmerican.

    > Possible because the vast majority or people in the world are
    > not American.
    >
    > -- Cheers Richard.

    good one

    AC

    Alan Connor, Nov 22, 2004
  8. Chuck Dillon Guest

    wrote:

    > I found the groups I posted to by searching groups.google.com for html
    > and "post method". The replies obtained were positively unAmerican.

    The quality of response reflects the quality of your post.

    Have you studied the doc and examples that NCBI provides at
    http://eutils.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query/static/eutils_help.html?

    I suggest you consider using one of the "API" that NCBI offers for
    Entrez rather than coding the query syntax yourself. Or you might want
    to see if there bioperl (http://www.bioperl.org) folks have something
    that you can use without reinventing the wheel.

    -- ced

    > - = -
    > Vasos-Peter John Panagiotopoulos II, Columbia'81+, Bio$trategist
    > BachMozart ReaganQuayle EvrytanoKastorian
    > http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
    > ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}---
    > [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards]
    > [Health Reform means abolishing FDR's insurance tax exemption]
    > [To stop SPAM, Charge net-postage] [Abolish 16th (Inc Tx) Amendment]

    --
    Chuck Dillon
    Senior Software Engineer

    Chuck Dillon, Nov 22, 2004