command line validator

Discussion in 'XML' started by jsnX, Sep 2, 2006.

  1. jsnX

    jsnX Guest

    I'm trying to find a command line schema validator that works for Relax
    NG schemas. Unfortunately, the two most promising ones that I could
    find - jing and msv - don't actually work on my system (fedora core 5,
    amd 64) with either java 1.4.2 or java 1.5

    The errors look like the kind of things my distributions maintainers
    need to sort out - and I'd really rather use something written in C,
    anyhow. Is there such a thing? Libxml2 offers the functionality, but I
    haven't seen any command-line validators based on it. Is Relax NG dead?
    There's little activity on the mailing list, and it's only mentioned
    like once a year on this group.
     
    jsnX, Sep 2, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. jsnX

    jsnX Guest

    I tried installing msv and jing on my gentoo box, and there were
    40-some dependencies for each of them! The thing tried to install Xorg,
    even though I have optional X support disabled.

    Really, there has to be something better - is there no lightweight
    Relax NG validator?
     
    jsnX, Sep 2, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Just to get the stupid question out of the way: I presume you've
    checked the list of implementations at http://relaxng.org/#software

    I haven't used RelaxNG, but given your requirements and the information
    posted there, my own inclination would be to check the lib2xml code
    examples to see if one of 'em is usable as it stands, or is easily
    adaptable. I'd bet there's something there which comes close.
    http://www.xmlsoft.org/examples/index.html

    I can't speak to the question of RelaxNG's status; I haven't had reason
    to investigate.

    --
    () ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Joe Kesselman
    /\ Stamp out HTML e-mail! | System architexture and kinetic poetry
     
    Joe Kesselman, Sep 2, 2006
    #3
  4. jsnX wrote:

    > I'm trying to find a command line schema validator that works for Relax
    > NG schemas. Unfortunately, the two most promising ones that I could


    Use DTD. Any user bold enough to ignore established
    standards should be prepared to be left on its own
    at any time.
     
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?=, Sep 2, 2006
    #4
  5. jsnX

    jsnX Guest

    > Use DTD.

    Thanks for the advice, but that's not what I was asking about. DTD is
    not able to impose all the requirements I care about, whereas Relax NG
    is. I'd rather not make my validator a mish-mash of perl scripts and
    DTD.
     
    jsnX, Sep 3, 2006
    #5
  6. jsnX wrote:
    >> Use DTD.

    >
    > Thanks for the advice, but that's not what I was asking about. DTD is
    > not able to impose all the requirements I care about, whereas Relax NG
    > is. I'd rather not make my validator a mish-mash of perl scripts and
    > DTD.


    OK, so the requirements and constraints are clear now.
    But you should be aware of the implications of your choice.
    If you decide to rely on a non-standard, then work may
    become much more difficult.
     
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?=, Sep 3, 2006
    #6
  7. jsnX

    jsnX Guest

    > ...you should be aware of the implications of your choice.
    > ...work may become much more difficult.


    Indeed, but working with an inadequate schema language is not easy.

    This is rather like deciding to use Ruby for web appliactions - it's
    hard to find people who know it and it takes a little while to get it
    fully working on your box, but once all that is done coding proceeds at
    a faster clip and the code produced is better.

    It may be the case that working with a less popular standard leads to
    more work in the beginning - but if it's the standard that fits your
    domain, than there's apt to be a lot less work in the maintenance
    phase, when impedance mismatch is the principal cost. Work with less
    widely used standards is more *front-loaded*, not necessarily more
    costly overall. If it was, the business world would just stick with
    inadequate standards forever.

    I take issue with the suggestion that Relax NG is as a non-standard -
    it certainly has OASIS behind it. It may not be widely used, but
    that's not the same thing as, say, YAML.
     
    jsnX, Sep 3, 2006
    #7
  8. "jsnX" <> writes:

    > I'm trying to find a command line schema validator that works for Relax
    > NG schemas. Unfortunately, the two most promising ones that I could
    > find - jing and msv - don't actually work on my system (fedora core 5,
    > amd 64) with either java 1.4.2 or java 1.5


    > The errors look like the kind of things my distributions maintainers
    > need to sort out - and I'd really rather use something written in C,
    > anyhow. Is there such a thing? Libxml2 offers the functionality, but I
    > haven't seen any command-line validators based on it.


    Look at xmllint, which can be viewed as 'a way
    to invoke libxml from the command line'.

    --C. M. Sperberg-McQueen
    World Wide Web Consortium
     
    C. M. Sperberg-McQueen, Sep 7, 2006
    #8
  9. jsnX

    jsnX Guest

    Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for!

    C. M. Sperberg-McQueen wrote:
    > "jsnX" <> writes:
    >
    > > I'm trying to find a command line schema validator that works for Relax
    > > NG schemas. Unfortunately, the two most promising ones that I could
    > > find - jing and msv - don't actually work on my system (fedora core 5,
    > > amd 64) with either java 1.4.2 or java 1.5

    >
    > > The errors look like the kind of things my distributions maintainers
    > > need to sort out - and I'd really rather use something written in C,
    > > anyhow. Is there such a thing? Libxml2 offers the functionality, but I
    > > haven't seen any command-line validators based on it.

    >
    > Look at xmllint, which can be viewed as 'a way
    > to invoke libxml from the command line'.
    >
    > --C. M. Sperberg-McQueen
    > World Wide Web Consortium
     
    jsnX, Sep 10, 2006
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Lucas Cowald
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,088
    Tohid
    Oct 23, 2003
  2. Jim Cant
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    384
    Erhard Schwenk
    Aug 12, 2003
  3. Jim Cant
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    666
    Erhard Schwenk
    Aug 12, 2003
  4. Bernd Oninger
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    803
    Martin Honnen
    Jul 7, 2004
  5. Jim Cant

    need command line XHTML validator

    Jim Cant, Aug 12, 2003, in forum: Javascript
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    138
    Erhard Schwenk
    Aug 12, 2003
Loading...

Share This Page